Stormtrooper pepakura - TERRA RETURNS! WITH PICS!

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura - FINISHING BUILD THIS WEEK!!!

So you've changed your mind to switch to movie accurate?
What picture references are you using?
There are so many copies, moulds ? the different film versions?
Then hero and stunt version?
I get lost about what I'm following.

Man, I am simply astounded at how awesome this thing is. Definitely been a huge help with my own first-time build! I'm definitely going to check out milliput - it seems like an awesome thing to have. Do the different colors signify anything, or is it just what you had on-hand (so I know if I should order a variety, or a bunch of one kind)?

Hi Terra1,

I can't wait to see the finished helmet! I've been following along and your build had inspired me to try out my own helmet, also using spacecowboy's file (Thanks spacecowboy!). I'm currently in the bondo stage and had a question, if you don't mind. I've put a few layers on and sanded them down (oh the sanding!) and decided to tackle this thing a section at a time – just to break it up. I started with the dome and back half of the helmet and have got it to look ok and smooth, but when I run my hand over it I can really notice the ridges and slight indents. I'm sure that these just naturally occur because we're using a pepakura helmet as a base. Did you have the same problem? If so, is it just a matter of filling and sanding or is there a trick to it?

Derek

firstly thanks for the encouraging comments guys! :) Qui-Gonzalez, littledragon88 & the guys below.

Ourphil
i'm still not going for screen accurate, i've just been tweaking areas to please my eye. the ref pictures i'm using go from one end of the spectrum to the other, i didn't want to concentrate on 1 specific helmet. this TK helmet has a mix of all the versions. :)

Korban
yeah milliput has been a lifesaver to me, doing it all again i'd try get the pep form as bulky as i wanted it as i've spent too much fleshing it out with milliput.

yeah the different colours signify the grade...

white... very detail for porcelain models and repairs
black... fine detail for model making and repairs
standard(olive colour)... general purpose for everything
terracotta... for repairing pot and brick work, general purpose

i've only used the standard and terracotta versions as they are the least expensive, they seem exactly the same to me, the black and white versions are a little more costly and have a finer material, its really good stuff, once set it really is rock solid!

DBot845
nice to hear mate, others inspired me, i inspired you, now you will inspire some one else! good to hand the inspiration along the line.

yeah it takes a goood few layers of bondo, each time you apply/sand a new layer the ridges get less and less, as do the pits in the surface. just keep applying and sanding mate and you will see it smooth in no time :) don't try get each layer perfectly smooth, just smooth enough to apply the next layer. id say the lid of my bucket had about 6-7 layers applied yet most gets sanded off lol.

long awaited update... made the mistake of using an untested primer, still not dry :(

not much to mention just a quick photo update.

IMG_6055.jpg

IMG_6056.jpg

IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura - I HATE THE RAIN WHEN SPRAY PAINTING!!!

nice to see a fresh layer of paint on it, looks great

i too dislike the english whether, been raining most of the day which is horrible :(

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura - I HATE THE RAIN WHEN SPRAY PAINTING!!!

I am both amazed and inspired. great work. your determination is relentless. thanks for sharing your hard work.

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura - PRIMER REACTION!!! :(

thanks for the comments guys :)

UPDATE: 26/09/11
had a slight run of bad luck with my build, firstly the white plasticote primer i used in the above photo's didn't seem to keen on drying, was finally ready to wet sand after 5 days drying!

after fixing a few newly discovered thin spots i re-primed with some yellow halfords primer filler... it did not like being on top of the plasticote! creases started appearing due to i presume some kind of chemical reaction.

...after a few days greeting and feeling down about it i kicked my a$$ into gear again and headed out to the garage!!!

managed to wet sand the yellow primer down and clean up the creases from the reaction, all seems back on track and i plan on being mold ready by the end of the week! :)

sorry for the lack of updates to anyone still viewing this thread. will have a finished build update, materials delivery and mold preperation update soon :)

thanks for the comments guys :)

UPDATE: 26/09/11
had a slight run of bad luck with my build, firstly the white plasticote primer i used in the above photo's didn't seem to keen on drying, was finally ready to wet sand after 5 days drying!

after fixing a few newly discovered thin spots i re-primed with some yellow halfords primer filler... it did not like being on top of the plasticote! creases started appearing due to i presume some kind of chemical reaction.

...after a few days greeting and feeling down about it i kicked my a$$ into gear again and headed out to the garage!!!

managed to wet sand the yellow primer down and clean up the creases from the reaction, all seems back on track and i plan on being mold ready by the end of the week! :)

sorry for the lack of updates to anyone still viewing this thread. will have a finished build update, materials delivery and mold preperation update soon :)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the problems. Glad you got it all sorted out. I finished my initial fiberglassing last week, but have been putting off the next step. Like you, finally kicking myself into gear to tackle the next step: bondo!

Looking forward to reading about the molding process. That's even more of a black art to me than bondo is at the moment. :lol

mate, that sucks big time! thought it was a bit strange you hadn't posted for so long!

i'm sure you'll sort it, and i'm bloody amazed i'm going to end up finishing mine first :eek:, and i'm really looking forward to seeing your mold making :)

treats i ordered today!

Rebound 25 (0.9Kgs) x 3
Thi-vex (28grms)
Plasti Paste (5.2Kg)
Smooth-Cast 300 (7Kg)
Ease Release 200 (14oz/341grms)
Vinyl Gloves - powder free
600ml beaker x 20
Tongue depressors (Box of 100)

all should arrive on thursday/friday so i've a few days to 100% finish my build :)

at last! light at the end of the tunnel... ohh wait! another tunnel ahead! :)

treats i ordered today!

Rebound 25 (0.9Kgs) x 3
Thi-vex (28grms)
Plasti Paste (5.2Kg)
Smooth-Cast 300 (7Kg)
Ease Release 200 (14oz/341grms)
Vinyl Gloves - powder free
600ml beaker x 20
Tongue depressors (Box of 100)

all should arrive on thursday/friday so i've a few days to 100% finish my build :)

at last! light at the end of the tunnel... ohh wait! another tunnel ahead! :)

I envy you guys for easily getting hold of these moulding/casting materials :)

Re: Stormtrooper pepakura - MATERIALS ORDERED!!! :)

wow thats amazing

if ya dont mind me asking how much has it all cost so far and what was the list of parts youve used?

cheersmate keep up the good work

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back