Stormtrooper Armor - Accuracy Versus Price?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by GeneralMayhem, Dec 6, 2005.

1. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

I've decided to make a purchase in the next couple of months, and I've been googling my butt off trying to find a reputable supplier for Stormtrooper Armor. A lot of sites mention the FX kit as an affordable beginner's kit, but complain about the inaccuracies. The estimated $550 price tag fits my projected budget. Can anyone reccomend an affordable kit from a reputable dealer that is more accurate? This being my first set, I'd like to do it right the first time. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

~ General Mayhem

2. Dark One

Dark One Well-Known Member

For the price, that is about what you can get. Now there are several people that are making their own Trooper armor that may be more accurate but not sure if they are selling. From what I have seen and spent myself, you almost double what you were planning on spending to get a more accurate suit. I had too. If you are putting it together yourself and just get a kit I would say 800-900 dollars. That would be nothing but armor itself.

3. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Yes, all I'm looking for is a kit. I prefer to assemble and finish it myself.

4. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

I would try the FX armour with a more movie acucrate helmet at first. There is a nice helmet up in the junkyard at the moment.

Or you could try:

Accurate Armour

Joe

5. RoCKo

RoCKo Sr Member

you could try

MOVIE-FX

for me it is more accurate than a standart fx.
    but i don´t know what it will cost including shipping to the us.
    movie-fx is in germany.
    caution:
    i would prefer to get another helmet instead of the one from movie-fx.
    i used a authenticprop way back then...
    it looked like here:

HERE

6. Xhiwar

Xhiwar Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd really study www.starwarshelmets.com first. Check the armors, check the differences.
    I first bought an FX kit, and while it is very nice, I could only see the inaccuracies after a while. So I upgraded and I still think I should have saved and gone with the accurate stuff from the beginning.
    That being said, I will not be trooping with it too often, so if you're into trooping and stuff, the FX might be rather to your likes, as I couldn't bear trooping with the accurate and * expensive stuff...

Xhiwar

7. JoeR

JoeR Sr Member

I would be very weary of MovieFX. He has stitched up a lot of people. I would avoid him. There are a lot of other much more reliable dealers.

Joe

8. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'll second the FX armor with an accurate helmet suggestion. That's what I've got and I'm completely satisfied so far. The helmet is the BIG difference and the armor inaccuracies are (in my humble opinion) negligible and not worth triple (or so) the cost. Especially since you may have to modify the armor to fit you anyway.

In the beginning I thought I'd make do with the FX helmet, but I got tired of it VERY fast. It really doesn't look right and it was so big my neck got stiff after wearing it for about thirty seconds because I couldn't move my head. (The chin kept banging into the breastplate.)

Get an Authenticprops, SDS or other good bucket.

I got my authenticprops a few weeks ago and I am SO VERY GLAD that I did.

Good luck.

/Joe F
    Sweden

9. Jedi-Bob

Jedi-Bob New Member

Alot has to do with what the armor is going to be used for.

If it is for the 501st and to be used for appearances and kids events, than
    I'd go with the FX suit.

If it is to display and to just have for bragging rights and cons...than you may want to look at something more accurate and $$$.

10. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

I have an FX armor kit with the Authenticprops bucket and am pleased with it. Being that I'm 6'2", 215 pounds the FX kit is the only real option. As it is I had to shim up the thighs and calves to get it to fit me.

Personally the other kits look better but for the difference in prices I just can't justify it.

11. rigormortis

rigormortis Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree. If you're gonna troop in it, it will get messed up. If you plan to display it, go accurate.

I'd rather replace a cheap(ish) suit ($550) for trooping than cry when I screw up an accurate suit ($1300) that may or may not be in production when I need to replace parts. It's a REAL pain to get replacement parts, but FXs are easier to try and get.

Chat with your local 501st Garrison CO - they may have a good deal, but $550 is the going FX price from what I know.

My first suit was from eBay (got a better deal). Thank god it wasn't a recast (I wouldn't have known anyways at the time) - the armorer was just getting rid of excess stock. Also, the 501st Legion boards have a junkyard of their own too. Might pick up a suit from someone trading up.

12. TK8410

TK8410 Well-Known Member

I'll second that...I wouldn't go anywhere near him after the horror stories I have heard/read. :thumbsdown

Cheers, Gord.

13. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Not true, I am 6'4 and 265 and I fit into TE armor. You can to it, I shimed the thighs, ab/back plates.

14. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

Really?....all I've heard is that you should be 6' or under and about 170 - 180 lbs to fit into a TE or similar suit....interesting....

15. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Right now it looks like I'm leaning toward a ABS80 ANH suit which I've seen mentioned in other threads. The accuracy factor seems to be there, with a price tag of around $800, which is managable. Any opinions on this kit?

16. LDR

LDR Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks fantastic.

17. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

I would keep your eye's peeled on ebay......Yes as stated before, 500-600 is probable going to be your best bet, but every so often some sweet deals pop up on ebay..... Just a thought

-Tim

18. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Yeah steer well clear of MovieFX this guy has a bad reputation for poor quality and poor shipping. Even if your armour arrives people have complained about pieces being missing and poor customer service.

[/quote]
    Not true, I am 6'4 and 265 and I fit into TE armor. You can to it, I shimed the thighs, ab/back plates.
    [/quote]

Hey CMANavy do you have any photos of your TE armour with you wearing it. I have GF and I am 6'2" and I am 238 and I don't stand a chance of fitting into it but I am interested to see your shimming as it has rekindled my ambition to wear this set of armour :)

Cheers Chris.

19. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

Well, proportionately, I'm in the same boat as CMANavy. I have a TE and I'm 5'11'' like 198. I was told it would not fit me and I'd have to loose weight. Well I didn't care, I shimmed the sucker and I wear it. Taken it to a parade Saturday to troop in. Its goin to be a sandy...so If I for some reason hurt it...I can always fix it and then sand over it.

20. Eaglewood

Eaglewood Sr Member

Applied Metal Technologies

If you have the raw armor I can make it just like metal for you. Check out the site and contact me if you are interested.

Clay

21. Xhiwar

Xhiwar Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Glad to hear that.

I'm 6'4 and 208 and heard that it is possible to fit into the accurate stuff. I'll see, but with the shims and everything, it should look good, maybe a little more black showing.

Xhiwar

22. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

Heck Xhiwar, Tim Allen, that good ole boy is like 6'2'' 100lbs and it looks fine on him, It will be the EXACT same with you. I thought mine would look horrid but it looks awesome, I wont lie.

23. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

RT-Mod isn't bad at around 600 bucks

24. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

Not quite 6'2 lol....try 6 feet and gimme some credit, im a buck 55 alright. lol......

25. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

whateva toothpick... I swear...this guy Tim Allen here...use to be stick stickley's stunt double on Nickelodeon .The guy is SKINNY. lol

I still love ya brother.

26. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

Ha thx....yeh well what can i say.....Good gene's

27. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

[​IMG]

there is a group photo of Stick and all the Stunt Doubles... Tim is 2nd from the right...
    lol

Tim...throw a pic of your ANH up on here.

28. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

dbl post

29. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

[/quote]

Hey CMANavy do you have any photos of your TE armour with you wearing it. I have GF and I am 6'2" and I am 238 and I don't stand a chance of fitting into it but I am interested to see your shimming as it has rekindled my ambition to wear this set of armour :)

Cheers Chris.
    [snapback]1131004[/snapback]​
    [/quote]

Here we go, you can also check out the gallerys at www.goldengategarrison.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. tuskentrooper

tuskentrooper Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

If budget is your concern, make sure you account for the extra soft parts like bodysuit, neckseal, gloves and boots. Also any consumables like glues, new tools you may not have, and electronics if you plan on voice effects, fans, etc. That might add another $300-500 to your total cost. Oh, yeah, a blaster too. Make that an additional $400-600. :)

31. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

whats that blaster you got made of CMA?

32. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

It's a cushman paintball mg-34. It's alright and it gets the job done and survies being dropped quite well, I drap the thing several times each trooping event.

33. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

Ohh so its the dual vac shell?

Ive been thinking of getting one my self.

34. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

Yep, thats the one.

35. Tim Allen

Tim Allen Sr Member

This one?

36. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

or the other one...

37. Bacara

Bacara New Member

CMA, you are one * big trooper... :confused

Hopefully my question won't be too far off-topic. I have always wanted to make my own armor. What exactly are some of the glaring inaccuracies that everyone is talking about, so that I'll know what I'm looking for when looking for reference material? And also so I'll get a better understanding of what is more accurate as I go forward with my sculpts...

/B

38. Gilmortar

Gilmortar Sr Member

www.starwarshelmets.com

That site has pics of real suits and all the artisian suits out there...all the pics info you would need.

39. TK-2067

TK-2067 Well-Known Member

man your a huge trooper, what the hell is the empire feeding you ,lol ever think of becoming a sith lord?

40. CMANavy

CMANavy Sr Member

I may have to, only a few guys are as tall as I am. If I do a Vader it wont be for some time, I am in the middle of building my shocktrooper armor and after that will be the Republic Commando.

41. Trallis

Trallis Well-Known Member

go with FX or one of the cheapo suits. if later you want a more accurate one.. sell your FX suit. I did it and i made a huge profit and used it to fund my ABS 80 suit

42. GeneralMayhem

GeneralMayhem Sr Member

Um... No. That's exactly what I don't want to do.

43. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Hi CMANavy,

Thanks for the pics your outfit looks the mutts nuts. I am well impressed :) you are a big trooper but it still looks great :thumbsup

GeneralMayhem don't be put off by the snobbery about F/X armour if its for trooping and you are going to beat it about a bit then go for it. I have never owned a suit but have seen them up close and they are ok and Joe public will never know the difference. I would change the bucket though.

If you have your heart set on accurate looking armour then its down to the usual suspects TE/GF/AA etc if you are on a budget then it may be tricky. If you feel this is what you really want and anything else would be a let down then I would take the extra time save the extra pennies and get what you really want.

One piece of advice is you get what you pay for and if it looks to good to be true it probably isn't.

Good luck on your search :)

Cheers Chris.

44. Bountyhunter Niko

Bountyhunter Niko Well-Known Member

Life experience has taught me : BUY WHAT YOU REALLY WANT – EVEN IF YOU CAN’T AFFORD IT.

IÂ’m not saying that you should buy EVERYTHING you want. That is silly.

You will always want the best suit money can buy. But if you spend money on a cheaper suit that you arenÂ’t 100% happy withÂ…Â…Â…you will STILL want that other suit.

As for Trooping ; your suit will spend MOST of itÂ’s life standing guard on a Mannequin next to your computer desk .

45. cloud4131ff7

cloud4131ff7 New Member

If you decide on an FX suit try Vaderpainter at Vaderpainter.com
    -cloud

46. SethB6025

SethB6025 Well-Known Member

How does that work? Is it a coating of some kind?

47. Lord_Gita

Lord_Gita Sr Member

I recently bought another TK helmet that was advertised as an FX helmet and I assumed ABS. Now that I have it in my hand I see it's a much thinner Styrene. The edges are exact replicas of the FX, not any softening of edges or curves that I can tell. Did GT ever sell a styrene helmet or is this a knock off?

Sorry to hijack, I think this is still on this topic.

48. FON

FON Well-Known Member

Its a knock off by the sounds of it

49. darthinwah

darthinwah New Member

Whatever you do - DO NOT BUY from MOVIE-F/X..... Don't even entertain the idea by emailing this guy. He is not only a pc of $%$t but a liar too.

Do not make the same mistake I did. I purchased a kit from this guy Guidon Messika - he said he at armor in his house ready to ship...

Fast forward to over one year later, countless emails - still no product. this guy is a joke. He several times, told me that the item was shipped....Of course I received nothing. I went as far as saying, give me a tracking number - Of course, he sent a bogus number.

Then I told this idiot to just refund my money. that never happened.

After of over a year and lots of frustation, I got a full refund, thankfully from my credit card.

If there is anything I could do to prevent others from having the same fate, I will do it here. DO NOT BUY from Movie-F/X - DO NOT BUY from Guidon Messika.

His site should be taken off.

If you need proof of this guys's insolence, let me know. I have saved every e-mail, lie and excuse from this Schmuck...

50. darthinwah

darthinwah New Member

I forgot to mention, if you want a legit guy to deal with, try authentic props.

Totally opposite experience. Excellent product, returns emails and calls. Loves Star Wars as much as you and I.....