Stormtrooper Armor - Accuracy Versus Price?

GeneralMayhem

Sr Member
I've decided to make a purchase in the next couple of months, and I've been googling my butt off trying to find a reputable supplier for Stormtrooper Armor. A lot of sites mention the FX kit as an affordable beginner's kit, but complain about the inaccuracies. The estimated $550 price tag fits my projected budget. Can anyone reccomend an affordable kit from a reputable dealer that is more accurate? This being my first set, I'd like to do it right the first time. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

~ General Mayhem

For the price, that is about what you can get. Now there are several people that are making their own Trooper armor that may be more accurate but not sure if they are selling. From what I have seen and spent myself, you almost double what you were planning on spending to get a more accurate suit. I had too. If you are putting it together yourself and just get a kit I would say 800-900 dollars. That would be nothing but armor itself.

Originally posted by Dark One@Dec 7 2005, 01:38 AM
For the price, that is about what you can get.  Now there are several people that are making their own Trooper armor that may be more accurate but not sure if they are selling.  From what I have seen and spent myself, you almost double what you were planning on spending to get a more accurate suit.  I had too.  If you are putting it together yourself and just get a kit I would say 800-900 dollars. That would be nothing but armor itself.
[snapback]1130377[/snapback]​

Yes, all I'm looking for is a kit. I prefer to assemble and finish it myself.

you could try

MOVIE-FX

for me it is more accurate than a standart fx.
but i don´t know what it will cost including shipping to the us.
movie-fx is in germany.
caution:
i would prefer to get another helmet instead of the one from movie-fx.
i used a authenticprop way back then...
it looked like here:

HERE

I'd really study www.starwarshelmets.com first. Check the armors, check the differences.
I first bought an FX kit, and while it is very nice, I could only see the inaccuracies after a while. So I upgraded and I still think I should have saved and gone with the accurate stuff from the beginning.
That being said, I will not be trooping with it too often, so if you're into trooping and stuff, the FX might be rather to your likes, as I couldn't bear trooping with the accurate and damn expensive stuff...

Xhiwar

I would be very weary of MovieFX. He has stitched up a lot of people. I would avoid him. There are a lot of other much more reliable dealers.

Joe

I'll second the FX armor with an accurate helmet suggestion. That's what I've got and I'm completely satisfied so far. The helmet is the BIG difference and the armor inaccuracies are (in my humble opinion) negligible and not worth triple (or so) the cost. Especially since you may have to modify the armor to fit you anyway.

In the beginning I thought I'd make do with the FX helmet, but I got tired of it VERY fast. It really doesn't look right and it was so big my neck got stiff after wearing it for about thirty seconds because I couldn't move my head. (The chin kept banging into the breastplate.)

Get an Authenticprops, SDS or other good bucket.

I got my authenticprops a few weeks ago and I am SO VERY GLAD that I did.

Good luck.

/Joe F
Sweden

Alot has to do with what the armor is going to be used for.

If it is for the 501st and to be used for appearances and kids events, than
I'd go with the FX suit.

If it is to display and to just have for bragging rights and cons...than you may want to look at something more accurate and $$$.

I have an FX armor kit with the Authenticprops bucket and am pleased with it. Being that I'm 6'2", 215 pounds the FX kit is the only real option. As it is I had to shim up the thighs and calves to get it to fit me.

Personally the other kits look better but for the difference in prices I just can't justify it.

I'd have to agree. If you're gonna troop in it, it will get messed up. If you plan to display it, go accurate.

I'd rather replace a cheap(ish) suit ($550) for trooping than cry when I screw up an accurate suit ($1300) that may or may not be in production when I need to replace parts. It's a REAL pain to get replacement parts, but FXs are easier to try and get.

Chat with your local 501st Garrison CO - they may have a good deal, but $550 is the going FX price from what I know.

My first suit was from eBay (got a better deal). Thank god it wasn't a recast (I wouldn't have known anyways at the time) - the armorer was just getting rid of excess stock. Also, the 501st Legion boards have a junkyard of their own too. Might pick up a suit from someone trading up.

Originally posted by The Dark Side@Dec 7 2005, 09:03 AM
I would be very weary of MovieFX. He has stitched up a lot of people. I would avoid him. There are a lot of other much more reliable dealers.

Joe
[snapback]1130528[/snapback]​

I'll second that...I wouldn't go anywhere near him after the horror stories I have heard/read. :thumbsdown

Cheers, Gord.

Originally posted by WebChief@Dec 7 2005, 09:13 AM
I have an FX armor kit with the Authenticprops bucket and am pleased with it.  Being that I'm 6'2", 215 pounds the FX kit is the only real option.  As it is I had to shim up the thighs and calves to get it to fit me.

Personally the other kits look better but for the difference in prices I just can't justify it.
[snapback]1130693[/snapback]​

Not true, I am 6'4 and 265 and I fit into TE armor. You can to it, I shimed the thighs, ab/back plates.

Originally posted by CMANavy+Dec 7 2005, 02:57 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CMANavy @ Dec 7 2005, 02:57 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WebChief
@Dec 7 2005, 09:13 AM
I have an FX armor kit with the Authenticprops bucket and am pleased with it.  Being that I'm 6'2", 215 pounds the FX kit is the only real option.  As it is I had to shim up the thighs and calves to get it to fit me.

[snapback]1130693[/snapback]​

Not true, I am 6'4 and 265 and I fit into TE armor. You can to it, I shimed the thighs, ab/back plates.
[snapback]1130817[/snapback]​
[/b]

Really?....all I've heard is that you should be 6' or under and about 170 - 180 lbs to fit into a TE or similar suit....interesting....

Right now it looks like I'm leaning toward a ABS80 ANH suit which I've seen mentioned in other threads. The accuracy factor seems to be there, with a price tag of around $800, which is managable. Any opinions on this kit?

Looks fantastic.

Originally posted by GeneralMayhem@Dec 7 2005, 09:05 PM
Right now it looks like I'm leaning toward a ABS80 ANH suit which I've seen mentioned in other threads.  The accuracy factor seems to be there, with a price tag of around $800, which is managable.  Any opinions on this kit?
[snapback]1130899[/snapback]​

I would keep your eye's peeled on ebay......Yes as stated before, 500-600 is probable going to be your best bet, but every so often some sweet deals pop up on ebay..... Just a thought

-Tim

Yeah steer well clear of MovieFX this guy has a bad reputation for poor quality and poor shipping. Even if your armour arrives people have complained about pieces being missing and poor customer service.

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hey CMANavy do you have any photos of your TE armour with you wearing it. I have GF and I am 6'2" and I am 238 and I don't stand a chance of fitting into it but I am interested to see your shimming as it has rekindled my ambition to wear this set of armour :)

Cheers Chris.

Well, proportionately, I'm in the same boat as CMANavy. I have a TE and I'm 5'11'' like 198. I was told it would not fit me and I'd have to loose weight. Well I didn't care, I shimmed the sucker and I wear it. Taken it to a parade Saturday to troop in. Its goin to be a sandy...so If I for some reason hurt it...I can always fix it and then sand over it.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back