Store Display naboo star fighter converison into Mando's new ship yep 1/6th scale big

Kermet, I appreciate the work/efforts you're putting into making this particular model. Not easy since there's a lot of greeblies/details to reproduce. You're using wood as a primary medium since, it seems, you like that particular way of working and achieving the right results.
I rarely use wood for my build because:
The medium has to be sanded many times over (specially the end grain :() to make sure it doesn't look like "fur" is growing on it after painting it (by "fur", I'm talking about the raised grain of the wood that occurs when putting any kind of paint/varnish on it)
So, if you had used plastic pipes, for example, to build your guns; the sanding would've been at a minimum;)
Same with some of the flat rounds...very difficult to do that on a band saw and at that scale. Plastic parts at your local hardware store would've made those sharper. I hope you'll find my comment as a constructive critique and that it'll help you build better now and in the future(y)
Take your time making little details crispier. For example: in your main engine trench, the sides are detailed with small pieces making it a ribbed look. That's good, but the pieces aren't spaced evenly. Next time, make a jig of the spacing you want to achieve and glue one piece, then put the jig flush with your first glued piece and proceed with the second piece and again for everyone of those until your side is done.
Eager to see your next update:)

Kermet, I appreciate the work/efforts you're putting into making this particular model. Not easy since there's a lot of greeblies/details to reproduce. You're using wood as a primary medium since, it seems, you like that particular way of working and achieving the right results.
I rarely use wood for my build because:
The medium has to be sanded many times over (specially the end grain :() to make sure it doesn't look like "fur" is growing on it after painting it (by "fur", I'm talking about the raised grain of the wood that occurs when putting any kind of paint/varnish on it)
So, if you had used plastic pipes, for example, to build your guns; the sanding would've been at a minimum;)
Same with some of the flat rounds...very difficult to do that on a band saw and at that scale. Plastic parts at your local hardware store would've made those sharper. I hope you'll find my comment as a constructive critique and that it'll help you build better now and in the future(y)
Take your time making little details crispier. For example: in your main engine trench, the sides are detailed with small pieces making it a ribbed look. That's good, but the pieces aren't spaced evenly. Next time, make a jig of the spacing you want to achieve and glue one piece, then put the jig flush with your first glued piece and proceed with the second piece and again for everyone of those until your side is done.
Eager to see your next update:)
You are right on yes I do have a bunch of sanding, and in my last builds like the walker I did up on Star Wars Rebels yes it could have been done a lot crisper, So comment taken to heart and you are right about the spacing. Also just to know I haven't spent any money only glue, and paint. Oh what I would do to have a stock of me some evergreen lots of stuff needed and I at the moment and working on a very tight budget very tight it even makes a sound. I do want to slow down a bit and pay attention to all said. I one day will be able to build that way. Now for the fellow that will be getting this has everything I have ever done, and its a way for me to be able to collect I have decided to collect the black series 6 inch figures and this guy has them all new, I will be walking away as happy as he is. I have a imperial shuttle I will be building next and I will be using these methods on it and taking a bit more time on it . Thanks very much for you kind comment and this is what RPF is about advice helping out a fellow modeler MUCH Thanks joberg very Much

Okay Friends, RPF is Great. Yes I do need to slow down and be more attention to those small things as spacing I never thought of that, so as I go onward I will be more attentive to those things I one day will have a 3d printer and a resin one and some plastic parts bin. So thanks Guys for all the likes and comments all needed its all about learning and I have learned a bunch watching a bunch of you guys builds, My shop seems to always be in shambles, that to is a topic I need to work on, More TOOLS I have gotten a few new tools the lathe is a new tool given to me I hope to pick up a bench bandsaw soon. So Guys I did a bunch of scribing and more sanding I do wish I would have thought of the spacing of those parts joberg was talking about its those small details that make a model more finer I also got all the holes finished, I was holding off on the hole where baby Yoda's area is so now its time to flip this thing over and box in those areas. Here we go Enjoy
20220621_180959.jpg
20220621_181003.jpg
20220621_181019.jpg
20220621_181023.jpg
I know that one part looks off but its the way that hole is cut I try to lay them in straight but it still looked off I might have to work on that a bit more yep it needs work I will fix that for sure. I will have it flipped and I made a note to remove engine before flipping after that cock pit boxing as well as baby Yoda's area, I have been studying the canopy, i think it will be on some kind of slide, been studying those pics on how it sits also the elevator for baby Yoda in the droid compartment I have a plan Thanks Guys for following along on this quest for everything Thanks

Yep I see what I need to do to fix that hole it needs some trimming on the left side down straight I will fix that before the flip don't forget to remove the engine, just so you know I was going to take it over to one of my tools and grabed it up and out came the engine bouncing across the floor didn't even hurt it. Thanks

You'll start collecting pipes and make-up tubes and medication containers, electronic innards (keyboards are great) old printer/scanners, lid of pots, jars, wires, electrical cords, etc...all kinds of stuff you can find at your local 2nd hand store/Salvation Army or local churches. Never throw anything and always look at the possibilities of a design/form...doesn't cost much my friend;)
Keep on building(y)

You'll start collecting pipes and make-up tubes and medication containers, electronic innards (keyboards are great) old printer/scanners, lid of pots, jars, wires, electrical cords, etc...all kinds of stuff you can find at your local 2nd hand store/Salvation Army or local churches. Never throw anything and always look at the possibilities of a design/form...doesn't cost much my friend;)
Keep on building(y)
joberg why do you think my shop is in such clutter I have boxes of that stuff, I never throw anything away. Wow when I do throw something away I feel guilty about it Thanks Friend a bunch

Okay Guys , and as said always keep on building. You know after all the eye surgery in both eyes, it seems like sometime I seem to have a hare time focusing some times I have to walk away give them a rest. So today I got the camera stand attached then the other flipped side started boxing in the cock pit also did a bunch of sanding most of the morning was sanding. I am also working on baby Yoda's area this part is still very much in process. Thanks Guys for all the likes and comments pushes me onward. Enjoy
20220621_181023.jpg
20220622_111736.jpg
All fixed
20220622_113451.jpg
20220622_113456.jpg
20220622_132808.jpg
From studying this once the side engines are on where I have the mount at should support this thing I epoxyed it in then bondo it in as well
20220622_132813.jpg
20220622_135814.jpg
20220622_135820.jpg
20220622_201042.jpg
20220622_201720.jpg
20220622_201729.jpg
I had to check and see if everything fit and it does as you can see
20220622_210540.jpg
20220622_210553.jpg
20220622_210603.jpg
20220622_210559.jpg
Well Guys I am going to have to cut baby Yoda's door a bit more I have a ideal on how to make this elevator once you pull Mando's seat forward baby Yoda's elevator will bring him down just reach in and take him out I don't know I'm just making this up as I go but we shall see. Thanks Friends for all the likes and comments. So much more to happen stay tuned Thanks

Okay Guys, Thanks everyone who has followed along still a ways to go. Thanks for all the likes and comments keeps me at it. So a bunch of time wasted I did everything I could do to make this elevator work and just so you know it was working fine, I still had to attach the bungee string I searched my shop over for some small springs I got a dozen of them some where. I got to thinking about a fail with the elevator so I decided to scrape the concept, however I did a deep study for a bit today I will ether sill baby Yoda in or thought about making a hinge more or so will more than just keeping it simple. Here is a bit of wasted time then got back after it after the rebound I also came close to making a big mistake I put the two half's together then taped it all up and just about glued it all closed....but I have to make the part that will hold the engines almost Enjoy
20220623_184910.jpg
Okay
20220623_184915.jpg
20220623_184935.jpg
Okay Friends what a day I try and try time wasted but I had fun So back to the shop in the morning see what's next, stay tuned more happening Thanks

Attachments

• 20220623_195011.jpg
    20220623_195011.jpg
    421.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220623_194959.jpg
    20220623_194959.jpg
    821.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220623_194954.jpg
    20220623_194954.jpg
    748.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220623_194946.jpg
    20220623_194946.jpg
    432.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220623_142747.jpg
    20220623_142747.jpg
    818.7 KB · Views: 54
Okay Guys, another crazy day in the shop trying to figure things out the elevator ideal is now scraped, pretty much a wasted day, but what a day it was. Some you win and some you lose but it was fun, I know I could have made it work, but to much time was invested in the concept and it did work but I could see a fail and didn't want that to happen. Mostly once I deliver this don't need a fail. So a whole new approach happened today I got the two half's connected or put together and what a day man its been hot here in Ky. Okay Friends Thanks a bunch for the likes and comments , as said it keeps me busy making. What you will see here today will need more primer and more sanding, I happen to run out of super glue again, this will make 4 bottles so far well it will be 5 after I get more also need another can of primer. Here we go Enjoy
20220624_154738.jpg
Okay, I only had enough wood not long enough so I had to splice it all together and you wont see this anyway
20220624_194138.jpg
20220624_194145.jpg
I also scraped off all that duct tape mess off
20220624_194150.jpg
Yep those holes will be filled those was hanging from the ceiling it had eye hooks there now removed.
20220624_194159.jpg
More primer and lots of sanding, so in the morning I will work on filling in those holes in the front and get all that done up as it should look. Stay tuned lots more happening Enjoy Thanks

Okay RPF Friends, Today I had to go to a family reunion. It was nice seeing some family I don't get to see often. So once home back out to the shop I went, after making a super glue run, I forgot to grab me some primer oh man. I did make a bit of head way though just a bit. Thanks Guys for all the likes and comments as said it kicks me in my booty keeps me going. Here is the bit done Enjoy
20220625_204743.jpg
20220625_204752.jpg
20220625_204807.jpg
Okay, Guys wasn't a bunch I could do time got away from me today, there's always another day wifey says so yep back to the old shop in the morning get all this process completed still lots of sanding more primer once I get me some. I don't know if I should red putty that across the top or not I will sand and see how it looks after then go from there. Stay tuned lots more going to happen Thanks

Okay Guys, There is a bunch more I have to do on this front part tonight's goal was just to close in those holes now the fun starts on this part, it a long way from being complete lots of detail to be done on this its going to look cool. Thanks

Okay Friends, I have finished this part but I still need to do is shoot some primer on this to see how my sanding looks, should have grabbed that can and I walked right down the paint area straight to the super glue didn't go back the same way. So I started another part which O didn't take any pics of yet I will get some of those in the morning then onward. Thanks everyone for all the likes and comments Love them pushes me onward Here we go Enjoy
20220626_153152.jpg
20220626_153157.jpg
20220626_153202.jpg
20220626_153211.jpg
20220626_153215.jpg
I also filled in those holes just a bit of primer on those might be a bit more to do on this part. I have done a bunch more to this red putty is had more added and sanded and now a bit of primer to see if it needs more but this has been much more done to the putty part than pictured I will share this after the morning well after the day in the shop Wow what did just say and I have started a bit some place else have no pics of this fun yet, just wait this thing is not going to fit in my jeep done been looking at that and for sure not going to strap it to the top but I did look up there and wifey said I would for sure fly away get air born. Stay tuned not there yet Thanks

Hay Guys, I had a Great Thing happen last night. So here is what happened I was watching collection wars and Gabe said something about a big bunch going on in the Group and went to that page and scrolled down and they was looking at stuff and then there went by my project and Micheal said hold on go back and they looked at it and good things was said but most of all I got to here Micheal say that's bad ass that was so cool and don't get me wrong please I love all you guys likes and comments as well THAT is what RPF is all about cool people and GREAT making to all of you awards and clapping good stuff Thanks Guys

Okay Friends, another day of wheel spinning seems that way any how. So I got this bright ideal and went and grabed the camera stand, got it all set up then grabed the ship with out thinking, yep engine was still in it and it bounced across the floor about seem like 10 bounces and landed under the pool ladder. Did not even hurt it. So today after the tripod episode I got busy on some sanding then back to the other part I started and had no pics of yet which I do now. So here is a bit of todays fun Thanks again for all the likes and comments. Enjoy
20220627_140914.jpg
20220627_140922.jpg
20220627_140927.jpg
20220627_160509.jpg
20220627_160516.jpg
20220627_160526.jpg
20220627_191239.jpg
20220627_191504.jpg
20220627_191511.jpg
20220627_191516.jpg
20220627_191524.jpg
20220627_191639.jpg
Yep those spots in baby Yoda's nest is where I ran out of primer still need to go grab some no hurry I will. So the seat is what I have been making on and still need to make the cushions the head rest is really the only screen grab I have, I need to do some studying on this Loads more to happen Stay tuned more going to happen Thanks

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back