Stop Motion Studio ESB AT-ST!

Z, the neck boot, are the front tyres from the Tamiya 1/12 Tyrell, you just turn the lil' buggers inside out!

The final paint color.....grey death on a ski slope is the moniker ive given it....two parts Rum...one part Vodka.....no thats not right is it :lol

I used Floquil SP grey, mixed to the right flavor with Floquil Reefer white buddy!

bests.....lee

:eek are those the actual parts used on the production piece? if so WOW!

thanks for the info.

z

We believe so Z, took a while to even get a handle on what ILM used, just sitting frustrated late at night made me think tyre, the prop has a weird scratch pattern on its boot, something that is identical inside an F1 1/12 tyre, and the Tyrell matches up spot on size wise too...just goes to show those guys in the modelshop...wasted nothing!

lee

OK well i think im heading in the right direction now, new grey, new toned down weather base and new rust washes.
The rust needs to be very lightly misted, this subdues it very well!

lee

Last edited:
Thanks for the clear hoses bro :) Actually I havent those kind of hoses in my 312T4 kit but I had some on my 312T kits ! I'm not sure they are the correct diameter for the ROTJ though

Now that's top notch bro, the contrast is not too strong, using grey is very good ! I wouldnt mist the rust, but that's just me ! I think the rust looks perfect like that. I love the kind of splash on the rear joint, on the guepard part ! How did you get this effect ?

Even with the ref pics in hands I never noticed the rivets on the side shields, that's great ! Now I can see them and it looks like they received a white wash into them !

That's a nice tribute to this model and to Johnston and St-Amand !

Bro...thank you...its been a mad journey, never realised how tricky this may be to paint TBH.

The splash mark...just a runny mix with my airbrush, then a dab with a thinners soaked applicator...it didnt come out exact like the props mark, but itll do for me at this stage lol.

Cool, i may leave the rust as is, there is still tinkering to do, but im just glad i managed to screw up intitially, and still succeed in getting a nice smooth and very thin coat if paint on this...yup, even too thick a paint coat bugs me LOL so anal is me!

Hopefully will finsih the chassis/legs in the AM, and get cracking on the noggin...that huge splash mark is one i want to nail....my A game will be needed though!

lee

Bro, the ROTJ hoses, hmm there not F1 kit as per the TESB, look more like Guitar string....i know we use this stuff now and then, but it does appear ILM did the same thing!
Id say the chassis, and front body hose is Guitar string, the ones under the head...hmm could be the type of spring that came in my Lotus MKIII, its like a Wave detailing spring?

We will endeavor to find them though, your ATST will be the be all and end all of the ROTJ model...so she has to be right!

lee

That's looking really fantastic! I think the weathering is perfect! I always believed that while the Empire kept their space gear pretty clean, these babies (AT-STs and AT-ATs) saw enough action in so many environments that there was no way to keep them squeaky clean. These are the Imperial workhorses, so to speak.

Great job Lee!

-David

Bro, the ROTJ hoses, hmm there not F1 kit as per the TESB, look more like Guitar string....i know we use this stuff now and then, but it does appear ILM did the same thing!
Id say the chassis, and front body hose is Guitar string, the ones under the head...hmm could be the type of spring that came in my Lotus MKIII, its like a Wave detailing spring?

We will endeavor to find them though, your ATST will be the be all and end all of the ROTJ model...so she has to be right!

lee

Hey bro :) I was meaning the hoses of the underside of front head =)

clearhose.jpg

But actually I just checked the dims and the are spot on, thanks for the infos bro ! :D

As for the ribbed hoses, I used bass guitar strings as guitar strings are not thick enough ! They are no totaly correct though :(

I dont know for the Lotus spring, I dont know how it looks !

Bro ill try find some Wave srpings that may do the job for you, i know the size youll need as i need an extra for the breast hose for my build!

Got some work done on the head today, that big blast mark was a pig to replicate, so i did my best with it and winged it lol.

Still much to do, but its getting close, ill try get some pics up later.

Will be nice to wrap this one up along with the pod now...could do with a clear bench as i fancy mastering something....still got the Cloud Car bug so im keen to kit that TBH...we'll see i guess!

lee

Cheers Rich! OK the work on the head so far...im not all that great with pastels, but i think the blast mark will do, was just insane to get it spot on, so in the end i just ran with it.
The chassis has been darkened via a very light mist, the ref pics show the chassis to be pretty grimey.

lee

Last edited:
Cheers guys, trying to pay attention to each individual area now, got too tweak that tusk lol.
Funny thing...the TESB screengrab.....doesnt appear to show that big blast mark...i cant really tell, but hey ho, i wanted it anyways.

May get a bit more done soon as save for the 312t parts to go on the rear deck, i want to wrap this up this week.

My pics just wont convey the pattern of the weather job very well, i just suck with a camera, but in the flesh, ive achieved my goal...its very much akin to an ATAT color and pattern.

lee

Cheers Michel, im just my own worst critic most the time, OK serious question!
Dont know why, but i do get this feeling to put a VERY fine snow effect on this, maybe lightly on the feet/ankles and possibly the top of the head.

It would make it non studio accurate though, but i have this awesome stuff to do snow....and im not sure if this is just a stupid idea and you guys should tell me to shut up...or would make it look rather cool and original to my own build.

The snow i have is a very fine powder, commonly used in N gauge railway, its applied with a thin coat of a PVA type adhesive, so i kinda comes out looking like the fine effect seen on the SS Probe Droid filming shots

lee

Lee, I love your beast!!
I also dig that weathering and the big blast mark too! I think it looks really dynamic compared to others I've seen.

Oh and that snow effect would looks awesome imo! I can't wait to see this if you go for it!

She is looking a million times better bud, I'm going to have to ask you to go through how you did that big blast mark on the side of the head, its straight out of the ILM blast mark bible? As for the snow, you'll just have to make another one :lol, I'm in the process of researching snow over the next few weeks so it would be great to see how it looks?

Check out model railroading supplies at Hobbytown. They actually carry scale snow. You apply an adhesive by dabbing it on, then sprinkle the snow on, shake off excess. It looks pretty authentic too. Your ATST looks absolutely fantastic. Nice work.

Dave :)

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back