Still lovin' my 80's metal!

Rylo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Sitting here recuperating from a recent car accident (yes, I'm fine thanks) and revisiting some 80's metal goodness.

Sure, there was a great deal of cheese that was being pumped out at the end of the decade, but there's no arguing there was a ton of solid stuff that still holds up. It was a good time for music; nobody was taking anything too seriously...the circus was in town and it was all good as far as I'm concerned.

Feel free to share! Here's a few samples of what I've had on today. I'll start with the more well known and touch base on some lessor known bands that I still enjoy.

Maiden's "Wasted Years" (Can't help but air jam on this one) Iron Maiden - Wasted Years (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Krokus' "Screming in the night" (Makes me want a beer) KROKUS - Screaming In The Night - YouTube

Motley's " Knock 'em dead kid" (Shout at the devil is just a raw album...good stuff) Mötley Crüe - Knock 'Em Dead Kid - YouTube

Judas Priest "Don't go" (always liked the video...rabbits and ****!) Judas Priest - Don't Go - YouTube

Ratt 'The morning after" (80's metal royalty) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcT0x9W0G6o

KISS (yes, I count Creatures of the night as a metal album) Just a crunchy bad-ass song that's infectious: "Saint And Sinner" KISS - Saint And Sinner - YouTube

Twisted Sister "Love is for Suckers" (Sure it's poppy but still makes me head bang while in the shop) That's of course when I don't have whiplash. :unsure
Twisted Sister - Love is for suckers - YouTube

Dokken, "It's not love" (C'mon, it's Dokken!) Dokken - It's Not Love (HD music video) - YouTube

Stryper, 'To hell with the devil" (Still out there killing it and one of the most underrated bands of the of the decade) Stryper To Hell With The Devil - YouTube

A few lessor known bands that if any of you enjoy, I'm sure we would be instant bros. :thumbsup

Enuff Z nuff, "We're all Allright" (I almost stuck these guys up top, but they came and went so fast that I had to list them down here. Howard Stern and I are in agreement that these guys were one of the better bands of the 80's that just didn't quite catch. Enuff z'nuff - We're All Alright - YouTube

Vain, "No Respect" VAIN - No Respect - YouTube

Pretty Maids, "Future World" Pretty Maids - Future World - YouTube

Saxon, "Ride like the Wind" (A cool cover...always liked these guys) Saxon Ride like the Wind - YouTube

More later!

Note: Yeah, I get it. A few of you are itching to chime in about how much 80's metal sucked, etc. This thread wouldn't be for you. This is for the older bucks.

-Rylo

mrs.slave1pilot is forever stuck in the 80's and loves her hair metal.
Just this morning she was watching the "It's not Love" video on DVD.

Rock as a whole was great in the 80's...

Maiden, Whitesnake, Metallica, Journey, Toto, Rush, 38 Special, Queensryche, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Slaughter, Nelson (yes, Nelson), Tony McAlpine...

Interesting how Vinnie Vincent invasion simply became Slaughter without Vinnie, isn't it!?

Rock as a whole was great in the 80's...

Maiden, Whitesnake, Metallica, Journey, Toto, Rush, 38 Special, Queensryche, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Slaughter, Nelson (yes, Nelson), Tony McAlpine...

Never enough Maiden or Kiss in my opinion. Best concerts I ever went to were these bands shows.

I have two boys under the age of twelve that can't get into my "old guy" music. That kills me.

Cheers

Sebastian

I still love a bunch of the 80's metal. OzzY, Metallica, Queensryche, Dokken, Megadeth...

These are the guys that got me started playing guitar and I blame George Lynch for causing my carpal tunnel syndrome trying to learn Mr. Scary.

George, Jeff and Brown are going out as, "Tooth & Nail" without Don. Don didn't want to work with them so they said **** him, Jeff can sing! He can, too!

I mean, really well! Check it out:

Dokken - Just Got Lucky (Live) Jeff Pilson Singing - YouTube

I still love a bunch of the 80's metal. OzzY, Metallica, Queensryche, Dokken, Megadeth...

These are the guys that got me started playing guitar and I blame George Lynch for causing my carpal tunnel syndrome trying to learn Mr. Scary.

I spent yesterday at work listening to some of my 80's CD's.

Made it through all of my Twisted Sister Stay Hungry album then
jumped around between Ozzy, Metallica and Motley Crue.

My boss wasn't fond of it so........

It was a good day indeed!

More often than not I tune in the "Hair Metal" channel on Rhapsody as I work :D

Although it may not technically be Metal, Mr. Big (Paul Gilbert on guitar) is a fave when I feel like banging my head on the laptop. And let's not forget Quiet Riot...

Dude, Paul Gilbert is amazing and does indeed count.

I've loved his old band Racer X since day one.

More often than not I tune in the "Hair Metal" channel on Rhapsody as I work :D

Although it may not technically be Metal, Mr. Big (Paul Gilbert on guitar) is a fave when I feel like banging my head on the laptop. And let's not forget Quiet Riot...

George, Jeff and Brown are going out as, "Tooth & Nail" without Don. Don didn't want to work with them so they said **** him, Jeff can sing! He can, too!

I mean, really well! Check it out:

Dokken - Just Got Lucky (Live) Jeff Pilson Singing - YouTube

Lynch Mob had some great stuff. George is such an amazing guitarist. I remember hearing that the last album he did with Dokken he just recorded all his stuff separate and handed it in so he wouldnt have to be in the same room as Don Dokken. lol

If it wasn't for vh1 classic and the 80s videos my days would be boring as nothing else is ever on. Nearly every cd I owe is from the 80s as after the 90s started music went to crap.

So great to see all the love for Dokken! Lynch is who inspired me to pick up the guitar way back in 87....I can still listen to all of those albums. ( the first ones, that is...after they broke up and re-united briefly I didn't care for those) Lynch Mob had some great songs too.

I've had the privilege of meeting George a few times, this one was a few years ago at a guitar clinic in Raleigh.

Lynch_maul001_small.jpg

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back