Thundercats Sword of Omens - Full size replica - My build/upgrades step by step

I'm not only a prop but also a sword guy, 15 years HEMA, and there is something important I have to tell you. As visible in one of your pictures that sword has what is known as a rattail tang and the picture shows that it hasn't been welded on that good. That is the point your sword will break. And that isn't a if it will break but a when it breaks. Please be carefull and don't make any swinging motions near your kids, I've seen it gone wrong a few times and it isn't pretty.

If you have the ability to weld the "rattail" to the sword better it will be a lot saver.

And yes, that sword is in my props wishlist.

RvA
I wholeheartedly agree. Thank you for pointing that out for everyone's safety. What they consider a "tang" is barely a tang at all. I wouldn't trust that rat tail either. Thankfully the sword is very heavy so the kids didn't go crazy with it. Plus, they know that it's one of my "props" so they treated it with respect. Now it's just hanging on the wall. Like with many of these prop swords, they're really just for decoration.

This is amazing. I've contemplated trying to 3D print a Sword of Omens for a while but even with the best cleanup and paint it's never quite as nice as real metal. This is definitely preferable.
Looking at the listings online it seems like most of these come from Pakistan, so no cheaper options with Aliexpress or Taobao - also explains why the eBay shipping is so high. Still, the overall price makes it worthwhile.
I just ordered one from eBay and look forward to replicating some of your work.
To round out the set a little, I also found a listing on Amazon for the Sword of Omens in dagger form. Says it's also steel, and looks ok. No idea what the quality will be like, but hopefully it's roughly comparable and they'll look good together.
There may not be enough room for lighting in the smaller dagger, but honestly, I've found that lighting in props is something I rarely use, even when I have it, so I may skip it even on the sword.

Attachments

• 71ONTHOCeeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71ONTHOCeeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 73
If anyone’s interested, I received the “Dagger of Omens” version from an Amazon seller.
Like the full size sword it’s an all metal construction, has nice little blue and red gems in the grip and comes with a faux-leather sheath.
The Eye of Thundara is a thick vinyl sticker that actually looks okay. Peeled off really easily and I 3d printed a replacement using red resin and a little yellow paint and gloss clear coat. Gives it a more cartoony feel, which I like.
It’s a much more compact piece than the sword so lighting it might be a little trickier, but probably still doable if you wanted to.
Very happy with it and can’t wait for my full size sword to arrive from eBay to get a similar treatment. I think they’ll look great together.
1FD5B0E7-7103-4ABC-9837-CADE1DE4C7FF.jpeg
4C6F1F9D-1254-4B6A-BCA9-C9CE68365F22.jpeg
4311734F-F5E5-4A88-A476-09C57355094E.jpeg
54F98686-0DBA-44C2-A54F-A81E3CCC71FC.jpeg

Attachments

• 338BE656-46EA-41E7-AEE7-F06E4A46D705.jpeg
    338BE656-46EA-41E7-AEE7-F06E4A46D705.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 75
I received my full-sized Sword of Omens replica today. It's nice. Couple of small quirks though.
First thing I noticed after removing the shrink-wrap was that mine had been coated in a thick, clear oil (to protect against rusting I guess, which is nice) In washing this off I also realised that my sword had been murderously sharpened!
It's cool and all but as a prop that's only for display, not really necessary. Definitely won't be letting my kids play with this one. Reading back over the eBay listing I note that it says it's "a high carbon double sharpened edge fixed blade". Skeptical on the carbon steel but it's really hard to test that.
Next I noticed that, unlike the OP's sword or the dagger I bought, this is pure shiny stainless, not the slightly darkened/weathered look. Not an issue really, it has enough surface detail on the hilt that I can darken it with a wash to get a similar effect. The listing pics showed the darker colour but they're the same stock pics every listing uses.

The biggest difference is that my sword already has a light-up Eye. The lowest of the gems on the grip has been replaced with a momentary push button and when you press it, the Eye lights up. The pommel unscrews and there's a sealed plastic cylinder inside. For some reason, the batteries are sealed in this plastic cylinder and I can't see how to remove them to swap them out. It's just got two wires running out the end of this battery pack into the crossguard where the light is hidden.
I wasn't planning on lighting this, and was actually going to replace the stock Eye with a 3D-printed one, so this complicates things a bit. It should be relatively easy to remove the plastic battery pack and wire in a rechargeable 18650 Li-Ion and recharge port, but replacing the Eye of Thundera is a little more complicated now. There was no mention of the light up feature in the eBay listing.

The sculpt is a little different to the OP's, and to the Dagger but close enough to work for me. All told, I can definitely recommend these swords as good wall-hanger props, ripe for a little extra customisation.

IMG_5030.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5034.JPG

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back