Still lovin' my 80's metal!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by Rylo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Rylo

Rylo Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sitting here recuperating from a recent car accident (yes, I'm fine thanks) and revisiting some 80's metal goodness.

Sure, there was a great deal of cheese that was being pumped out at the end of the decade, but there's no arguing there was a ton of solid stuff that still holds up. It was a good time for music; nobody was taking anything too seriously...the circus was in town and it was all good as far as I'm concerned.

Feel free to share! Here's a few samples of what I've had on today. I'll start with the more well known and touch base on some lessor known bands that I still enjoy.

Maiden's "Wasted Years" (Can't help but air jam on this one) Iron Maiden - Wasted Years (Official Music Video) - YouTube

Krokus' "Screming in the night" (Makes me want a beer) KROKUS - Screaming In The Night - YouTube

Motley's " Knock 'em dead kid" (Shout at the devil is just a raw album...good stuff) Mötley Crüe - Knock 'Em Dead Kid - YouTube

Judas Priest "Don't go" (always liked the video...rabbits and ****!) Judas Priest - Don't Go - YouTube

Ratt 'The morning after" (80's metal royalty) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcT0x9W0G6o

KISS (yes, I count Creatures of the night as a metal album) Just a crunchy bad-* song that's infectious: "Saint And Sinner" KISS - Saint And Sinner - YouTube

Twisted Sister "Love is for Suckers" (Sure it's poppy but still makes me head bang while in the shop) That's of course when I don't have whiplash. :unsure
    Twisted Sister - Love is for suckers - YouTube

Dokken, "It's not love" (C'mon, it's Dokken!) Dokken - It's Not Love (HD music video) - YouTube

Stryper, 'To hell with the devil" (Still out there killing it and one of the most underrated bands of the of the decade) Stryper To Hell With The Devil - YouTube

A few lessor known bands that if any of you enjoy, I'm sure we would be instant bros. :thumbsup

Enuff Z nuff, "We're all Allright" (I almost stuck these guys up top, but they came and went so fast that I had to list them down here. Howard Stern and I are in agreement that these guys were one of the better bands of the 80's that just didn't quite catch. Enuff z'nuff - We're All Alright - YouTube

Vain, "No Respect" VAIN - No Respect - YouTube

Pretty Maids, "Future World" Pretty Maids - Future World - YouTube

Saxon, "Ride like the Wind" (A cool cover...always liked these guys) Saxon Ride like the Wind - YouTube

More later!

Note: Yeah, I get it. A few of you are itching to chime in about how much 80's metal sucked, etc. This thread wouldn't be for you. This is for the older bucks.

-Rylo

2. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

mrs.slave1pilot is forever stuck in the 80's and loves her hair metal.
    Just this morning she was watching the "It's not Love" video on DVD.

3. gunnerk19

gunnerk19 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Rock as a whole was great in the 80's...

Maiden, Whitesnake, Metallica, Journey, Toto, Rush, 38 Special, Queensryche, Vinnie Vincent Invasion, Slaughter, Nelson (yes, Nelson), Tony McAlpine...

4. Rylo

Love me some Dokken! 'Live at the Sun' is a great album.

-Rylo

5. El Duderino

El Duderino Sr Member

This music always gets me pumped!

6. Rylo

Interesting how Vinnie Vincent invasion simply became Slaughter without Vinnie, isn't it!?

7. gunnerk19

yup yup

8. sebastian

sebastian Active Member

Never enough Maiden or Kiss in my opinion. Best concerts I ever went to were these bands shows.

I have two boys under the age of twelve that can't get into my "old guy" music. That kills me.

Cheers

Sebastian

9. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

I still love a bunch of the 80's metal. OzzY, Metallica, Queensryche, Dokken, Megadeth...

These are the guys that got me started playing guitar and I blame George Lynch for causing my carpal tunnel syndrome trying to learn Mr. Scary.

10. Rylo

George, Jeff and Brown are going out as, "Tooth & Nail" without Don. Don didn't want to work with them so they said **** him, Jeff can sing! He can, too!

I mean, really well! Check it out:

Dokken - Just Got Lucky (Live) Jeff Pilson Singing - YouTube

11. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I spent yesterday at work listening to some of my 80's CD's.

Made it through all of my Twisted Sister Stay Hungry album then
    jumped around between Ozzy, Metallica and Motley Crue.

My boss wasn't fond of it so........

It was a good day indeed!

12. Rylo

13. WarPig

WarPig Sr Member

More often than not I tune in the "Hair Metal" channel on Rhapsody as I work :D

Although it may not technically be Metal, Mr. Big (Paul Gilbert on guitar) is a fave when I feel like banging my head on the laptop. And let's not forget Quiet Riot...

14. Rylo

Dude, Paul Gilbert is amazing and does indeed count.

I've loved his old band Racer X since day one.

15. Flagg

Flagg Sr Member

Lynch Mob had some great stuff. George is such an amazing guitarist. I remember hearing that the last album he did with Dokken he just recorded all his stuff separate and handed it in so he wouldnt have to be in the same room as Don Dokken. lol

16. gunnerk19

17. gunnerk19

18. Wes R

Wes R Legendary Member

If it wasn't for vh1 classic and the 80s videos my days would be boring as nothing else is ever on. Nearly every cd I owe is from the 80s as after the 90s started music went to crap.

19. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I still have all kinds of that stuff on my MP3 player. I can't stand Judas Priest, with a few exceptions or Pink Floyd.

20. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

So great to see all the love for Dokken! Lynch is who inspired me to pick up the guitar way back in 87....I can still listen to all of those albums. ( the first ones, that is...after they broke up and re-united briefly I didn't care for those) Lynch Mob had some great songs too.

I've had the privilege of meeting George a few times, this one was a few years ago at a guitar clinic in Raleigh.

[​IMG]

21. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I saw George at Disneyland a few years back
    he was waiting in line for Jungle Cruise.
    I did not disturb him.

22. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

23. MFP 2020

MFP 2020 Sr Member

Good plan. The man got HUGE! :eek

Ah, good times. Loved Dokken, Ratt, Priest, Cinderella, Accept, Kix...

Still do. I had a Dokken mix CD as my gym music for most of the 90s.

I was never a huge Ozzy fan (although I did buy "Bark at the Moon"), but even now I'll listen to "No More Tears" and marvel at how well-constructed a song it is.

24. Rylo

Bon Jovi did not sign the band. He hooked them up by simply suggesting his A&R rep take a look which led to them getting a deal.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  25. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I also like my hair metal.
    I just put new knobs on the Strat tonight;
    [​IMG]

26. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

huh, i always heard he signed them on, dont remember where i heard it, i thought it was mtv....ya know, back when they actually played music videos :lol

27. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

Are those the licensed knobs that Fernandes ( I think) released about ten years ago?

I used Gentle Giant Bust-Ups heads for mine.

28. mike5150

mike5150 Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of 80's hard rock and metal!! Scorpions, Ratt, Dokken, Ozzy, Tesla and the list goes on and on.

29. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

yes they are.
    1 STAR WARS GUITAR VOLUME KNOB | eBay

30. Cpl Smith

Cpl Smith Well-Known Member

31. Cmdr.Kerner

Cmdr.Kerner Sr Member

32. madmax

madmax Sr Member

EEEEERRRRRRR hello Guns n Roses,when g'n'r ripped the scene apart in 1987 it kicked the old and sometimes stale rock/metal world in the butt.
    Now, well Slash still rocks,velvet revolver are ok(sorry i hate scott)and G'n'r really don't have it.But they inspired soooooo many bands back then.

Also Gary Moore's wild frontier album rocked,AC/DC back in black,all Ozzy stuff,and of course Motorhead

I still have long hair(i'm almost 41),still play guitar and still listen to rock/metal everyday

LONG LIVE ROCK N ROLL

33. Bobtherocker

Bobtherocker Well-Known Member

i'm also having a hair metal renaissance at the moment.
    My band at the time supported Saxon in the early 90's. Biff Byford was a total legend even though he was now playing smaller venues.
    He still came out with his trademark cup of tea LOL.

Heard ride like the wind on a dance remix at work recently. All the younger folk i work with didnt quite understand my excitement and sudden burst of vocal energy.

34. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  35. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

:coolI love Metal

36. Rylo

37. Scareb

Scareb Sr Member

I'm pretty pumped, I got floor tickets for when Maiden comes to Edmonton in July. This will be my second time seeing them.

38. Eopie Herder

Eopie Herder Sr Member

I always wanted a Kamikaze, really cool looking guitar! I did have one of the 25 Skull and Bones replicas that ESP made back in '99. I stupidly sold it a few years later.

39. mike5150

40. gunnerk19

I think Maiden is the reason I got Tinnitus :lol :facepalm

New Haven, CT 1987 Seventh Son tour, 6th row center. Couldn't hear right for 2 days afterward...

And Frehley's Comet (opener) sucked... :thumbsdown

41. Clutch

Clutch Master Member

I was finally gonna get to see Maiden live when they were with Ozzfest. A few days before the show comes to my town and they drop off the tour!@!@L$@$@ I also kick myself every now and then for not seeing Van Halen on their 1984 tour when I had a chance to go.

42. Krull

Krull Sr Member

There's a few bands I like Maiden,Megadeth,some Metallica,Twisted Sister,GWAR et cetera.

But-how about one I never hear talked of? Stormtroopers of Death?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rpVRnuAcQ

I know they go back to 1985 so that should mean they count.

43. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I still routinely play Megadeth, Slayer, GNR, Metallica (all 80s pre-suck), and much, much more. Once a metalhead, always a metalhead. If I hear "Dream Warriors" or RATT or "Final Countdown" or whatever, it puts a great big fat smile on my face.

A couple of my random, less heard of faves were D.R.I. and Sacred Reich. Also, remember Dangerous Toys?

44. mike5150

Yeah I remember Dangerous Toys! Do you remember Danger Danger?

45. cayman shen

cayman shen Master Member

I don't but I'll have to look them up!

I used to have a Dangerous Toys shirt that said "Sprotin' a Woody" in huge hot pink letters on the back. My teachers loved that, let me tell you :lol

46. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

More Maiden, LESS Dokken! How in the hells did Van Halen put Metallica before Dokken on the Monsters of Rock tour? I could quite literally feel my clothes moving with how loud(And awesome) Metallica was on that tour. I used the Dokken bit to go get a t-shirt and walk around til the Scorps came on.

47. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I saw Dangerous Toys open for Warrant back in 88-89?

48. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I saw that Tour
    Rice Stadium in Houston july 2, 1988
    [​IMG]

49. Qui-Gonzalez

Qui-Gonzalez Master Member

Kingdom Clone...wow. I had tried to forget about that band.

50. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

we showed up late due to being pulled over en route for open containers, so we "missed" Kingdom Come.
    Arrived just as Dokken took the stage.