Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - 5/31 update

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Lighted Eyes Test

This is so sick dude. There are so many Iron Man builds on this forum, but this one is my favourite. Keep up the good work, I'll stalk this thread... ;)

Friday was pretty rough... I've worked for a large movie theatre chain for almost two decades now. And although the Colorado Cinema doesn't belong to our company, they are fellow members of our industry -one that connects our communities through the magic of the movies and inspires all of our imaginations. It is beyond sad that in a time when people are making less and less personal connections, something like this happens in this sacred space.

I hope we all keep going to the movies together. It would be a tragedy to have this one act of senselessness keep us from this special and unique communal experience.

So, after taking yesterday evening off, I dived back into the helmet build today. The challenge today was to take the two vents I've created and get them into the helmet.

As I mentioned, my plan has been to use these vents as working vents (so they must sit in full pass-through holes in the helmet).

That means I had to mark them very carefully as I will only get one shoot at making these...

7617383878_9224e2b984.jpg

From here I used my dremel cutting wheel and carefully cut through the bondo/fiberglass/plastic of the helmet.

7617382680_ea3e19bf59.jpg

**Yes, this type of thing still makes me VERY nervous.

Below that was the foam padding from the skate board helmet...
7617381402_a6b835e154.jpg

A little quick work with the hand saw and we have a pass-through hole to work with!
7617380010_5e270643a8.jpg

And then it was time to see if my hand-curved vent fit...

...like a glove!!! :love
7617378816_02fa127d31.jpg

Here is a look at the vent in the helmet from the side view:
7617377508_a77e15645d.jpg

Now, I still need to do the other side... So I'll keep my excitement in check until I get that one in. :confused

This looks amazing! I never really had much interest (or time/space/need) for a build like this, but man am I tempted to try now.

Thanks, Joule - it's been a very fun build so far!

Here is the other side which is now installed...
7619325100_9e177c2abc.jpg

And from the other side...
7619323682_70d41dc603.jpg

And now, it's on to the communicator! :love

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - Rear Vents DONE!

OH man, I am so glad I got on the list my brother!THat is looking sharper and sharper every single day!!!
M

Wow the eyes look terrific. I've never bought here but if you do do the mold this might be my first. Way to go. Top notch stuff.

Thank you all for the kind words! With over 10 folks signed up for the raw cast of this helmet, the run will definitely be happening... As soon as I finish up this darn communicator. :unsure

...So, I did a little work on this part yesterday.

My initial thoughts were to try and re-create a vintage-style microphone/speaker thingy. And since I liked the look of the old Geloso Microphones, I figured that was a good starting point for the piece I would try to make.
7631990654_f297e7117e.jpg

My first step was to cut a bunch of thin strips of wood and stack them up into a basic rectangle shape.
7631540736_d33015e934.jpg

Then, I went to work on this stack of 1/8" wood with my dremel to create nice rounded shape.
7631434586_bed1f35cd0.jpg

After that, I unclamped the pieces and removed every other one. I stacked up the odd numbered slots, re-clamped them and shaved off about 1/8" around the front and sides of those piece.

This allowed me to have that nice staggered look when I put the odd pieces back into their correct order with the even pieces.
7631402632_5fbdeee868.jpg

I added a thin strip of plastic down the center of the piece for a little detail and without gluing any together quickly checked it out roughly on the space would be going on.
7631366038_c0ce5cb005.jpg

...and it's too small. :cry

I think this style of 'communicator' COULD work, but it would need to be at least twice as wide and tall in order to look correct. :facepalm

It also seems to be a bit more 1950's than 1800's.

The other option I've been toying with since I started in on this section was to suspend the microphone in the old "ring and spring" style:

7632221250_897489befb.jpg

**Obviously this is a Photoshopped image.

I might actually be leaning this direction right now.... But that means a critical decision is coming up. This version would require me to cut out the cross-bar currently in the mouth-area of the helmet. Granted it's behind the faceplate when the helmet is closed, but since I'm working on casting this, I feel like I'd have to talk with most of those folks prior to pulling the trigger on something like this (in case a majority of them would rather have the cross-bars on their helmets).

So, what do everyone think? Do either one of these designs turn you on more than the other? :confused

Re: Steampunk Ironman Helmet WIP - HELP: opinions on Mics??

You know I supremely love the sprung wire version, but you could just leave the frame as a support for molding, then let folks individualize their choice.
M

You know I supremely love the sprung wire version, but you could just leave the frame as a support for molding, then let folks individualize their choice.
M

That's an excellent idea! I might float that past the folks signed up for helmets and see what they think.

I guess at some point, I'll probably need to get Digitizit's opinion too.! :behave

I guess at some point, I'll probably need to get Digitizit's opinion too.! :behave

Ha! I still get stuck at the sheer talent you have. To turn a block of wood into that shape with just a dremel... ridiculous! Seriously man, share some talent with the rest of us!

I like that original shape, but I think the rounded mic that's suspended is closer to some of the early mic designs I've seen. I also think it may enable us to hide a real mic or voice changer in it. That, and it may allow a straw to fit in easier so I could get a drink! :lol

I really like the round mic suspended on the springs. The coils of the springs and the over-complex look is more in line with the steampunk idea. The rounded/square mic is cool but more retro/mod in its look. I would just make the round mic and then use real spings to get the look.

Plus it is easier to cast up a smaller part and then use of-the-shelf items.

I really like the round mic suspended on the springs. The coils of the springs and the over-complex look is more in line with the steampunk idea. The rounded/square mic is cool but more retro/mod in its look. I would just make the round mic and then use real spings to get the look.

Plus it is easier to cast up a smaller part and then use of-the-shelf items.

I agree with Psicorp. Using actual springs would add that realistic component to the build. I would probably hit the springs with some paint to give it a slightly aged and rusted look as well.

I got linked to this by my mister, and damned if I'm not impressed. Truly phenomenal work you've got going, and I'm adoring the amount of detail you're going to with this build.

I think the spring mic is more appropriate for the style. No matter what you end up doing, I'm sure it will look awesome.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back