Starship Troopers Robotic Arm/Gauntlet

NullARC

I was thinking about having a go at Lieutenant Rasczak's robotic arm/gauntlet from Starship Troopers.

48974695.jpg
48974695.jpg
48974695.jpg

I am having a hard time figuring out how this might have been constructed.
The individual fingers appear to actually be hinged instead of just segmented.

Any ideas on how to construct something like this?

I have included a link to a bunch of screenshots that I took for reference.

Starship Troopers Gauntlet.rar

Thanks in advance for your help.
Truly appreciated!

- Marc

Last edited by a moderator:
I always wondered why they wouldn't let him have an arm in his civilian life.

Hmm, I'm guessing that it's probably rubber, at least rubber fingers.

I always wondered why they wouldn't let him have an arm in his civilian life.

Hmm, I'm guessing that it's probably rubber, at least rubber fingers.
I thought the same thing! Then I figured that it was because the arm was military property.

As far as materials maybe rubber or latex like hampsterstyle said . That plate looks plastic or some other similar material.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

Take a look at Wisby Gauntlets. They're pretty similar from a construction standpoint in that each knuckle is actually a hinge:
averre-gauntlet09.jpg

If you google them, you can find all sorts of kit plans, construction drawings, etc that will get you started.

Very cool project, I think Optimus may be onto something there. Good luck and keep us posted of any progress.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

I actually found the guy who has the ORIGINAL prop!
I have an e-mail out to him to see if he can give me any details on it.

I'll keep ya posted!

Got a reply from the owner of the original:

"Hi Marc, the actual film used hand is made of 2 different kinds of latex foam. There aren't any hinged or moving parts. There are little ribbed areas at the joints and between the thumb and finger. These are cast in what seems to be a traditional soft rubber, and all the other parts appear to be regular soft foam."

Guess I'll have to brush up in my latex foam casting skills. Or, more accurately, develop some latex foam casting skills! ;)

Research time!!

Last edited:
This sounds like a fun project; it also sounds like it's time to cast your own hand!

Big time Starship Troopers fan so i'll be following this thread closely.

It is kind of suggested that he doesn't wear the arm in Civilian life as a "horror show" to show what can and will happen to you in the Mobil Infantry. This is taken from the book where Ricco meets a legless vet at the recruiting station and then meets him again but with prosthetic. The guy informs Ricco he is put there for the same reason.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back