Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

To be fair a normal hilt has its dangers further up as well...prob not that much for Rey though.
When Luke joins the ewok parade at the end of ROTJ I always kinda half expect the wildly dangling V2 to end the Hamill bloodline... :lol:

:lol:

And actually a regular sized lightsaber can do the same to your knee if your not careful........personal experience

Just a reminder for everyone.....

"It’s a film for 12-year-olds. This is what we stand for. You’re about to enter the real world. You’re moving away from your parents. You’re probably scared, you don’t know what’s going to happen. Here’s what you should pay attention to: Friendships, honesty, trust, doing the right thing. Living on the light side, avoiding the dark side." - George Lucas

I think I know what is the cause of some of these reactions from some fans. When you saw Star Wars as a kid you were swept in all the excitement has your eyes and ears were bombarded with kaleidoscope of color and sounds. You were experiencing shear joy and euphoria. Somthing that films don't do all that often for kids. And then these new films come out, and you don't get the same feeling. And you frustrated, even angry. Do you know why? Because literally your not getting that euphoric high created by the release of endorphins. And this is the sad thing. You'll never ever ever have that same euphoric reaction you had when you were kid. It's impossible. I think once you realize that these new films CAN'T give you that same high. (Dare I say it might scientifically impossible) You may find yourself enjoying what you have.

We have saying where I grew up. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." It means when you are given something, you don't go looking for faults. You accept it as it is. Guys we have been, and are being given new Star Wars films. We could have nothing, George could have retired and said 'no more movies.'

So I want to challenge everyone. Don't post anything negative about the new films or shows, unless you have something positive to share. It could be anything. You like this characters color of thier shoes, or the shape of their belt buckle....anything.

"It’s a film for 12-year-olds. This is what we stand for. You’re about to enter the real world. You’re moving away from your parents. You’re probably scared, you don’t know what’s going to happen. Here’s what you should pay attention to: Friendships, honesty, trust, doing the right thing. Living on the light side, avoiding the dark side." - George Lucas

I think I know what is the cause of some of these reactions from some fans. When you saw Star Wars as a kid you were swept in all the excitement has your eyes and ears were bombarded with kaleidoscope of color and sounds. You were experiencing shear joy and euphoria. Somthing that films don't do all that often for kids. And then these new films come out, and you don't get the same feeling. And you frustrated, even angry. Do you know why? Because literally your not getting that euphoric high created by the release of endorphins. And this is the sad thing. You'll never ever ever have that same euphoric reaction you had when you were kid. It's impossible. I think once you realize that these new films CAN'T give you that same high. (Dare I say it might scientifically impossible) You may find yourself enjoying what you have.

We have saying where I grew up. "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." It means when you are given something, you don't go looking for faults. You accept it as it is. Guys we have been, and are being given new Star Wars films. We could have nothing, George could have retired and said 'no more movies.'

So I want to challenge everyone. Don't post anything negative about the new films or shows, unless you have something positive to share. It could be anything. You like this characters color of thier shoes, or the shape of their belt buckle....anything.

Sorry, no. "Don't look a gifthorse in the mouth" means the same thing as "Beggars can't be choosers".
We're not receiving charity here, we're paying for a product.
If you order a ribeye at a restaraunt and get served chopped liver do you say "Oh well, at least I got something", or do you say "This isn't what I wanted, I'm not paying for this"?

I am hoping for the best- the last film wrote them into a very tight corner and they have a lot to do to put the movie back on track, let alone have it wrap up the entire Skywalker saga.
No doubt it will make mistakes, just like every other film in the series has. I am waiting to see it on screen to make a judgement- we simply do not know enough about it yet.

Last edited:

I’m sorry, but this is the same excuse that people have been using since the prequels (and really, the weaker parts of ROTJ) to get away with bad storytelling. Claiming that these stories are “just for twelve year olds” doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t justify bad filmmaking. It doesn’t justify putting childish things into the films. If these films were really meant for children, they would not be the phenomena they are today. The whole reason they are so important in pop culture is because they appealed to more than just children. Furthermore, quoting Lucas doesn’t make what you say absolute truth. He’s just a man; he’s not a god, and he’s certainly not responsible for everything that’s great about Star Wars. Let’s remember that this is the man who says Han didn’t shoot first; that wrote a screenplay about the Jedi-bendu named Mace Windy (that’s the name of the main character in the first draft); that wanted to include a line in Raiders of the Lost Ark about Indiana Jones having had a relationship with a minor (check out the transcripts of the story meetings between Spielberg, Lucas, and I think Kasdan). A big reason why these films have been moving towards a younger audience since ROTJ is for two reasons: one, children were an untapped market for merchandise that Star Wars essentially set the precedent for; and two: George was getting older by the time of the prequels, and the older you are (and the younger children you have in your family), the less likely you are to be edgy. Look at Spielberg and the infamous removal of the guns from E.T. I’m not knocking George, but continuing to come up with these kinds of arguments against other people for not liking the new films (or the prequels, or EU, or the cartoons, or whatever) are not fairly looking at criticisms of the films. Calling people whiners, or saying the film “isn’t for them”, or that it’s just a “kids’ film”, is to totally discount any real grievances and to put down or invalidate other people’s opinions. Are there total trolls out there that are just angry and want to bash everything? Yes, definitely. (I think TLJ especially taught us that). But let’s just get back on track talking (respectfully agreeing or disagreeing) about TROS, without using inflammatory language or discounting real discussion on this/these films. Ultimately, I could just say “Well, in the long run, movies aren’t really important. There are so many things that actually matter and that we should actually spend money on, yada yada yada.” But that doesn’t help anyone and this isn’t the place for that. Asking people not to post negative things is too tall an order with this much passion (and nostalgia) involved, especially on the internet. Asking not to hear anything negative just because you want to believe that everyone likes something as much as you is avoiding reality. If the people over on the R1 stormtrooper thread are allowed to complain a little because the helmets are symmetrical and the lines along the sides aren’t just stickers, I think we can allow people to dislike these films a little. Just keep things civil, keep complaints (or rebuttals, sorry again Joek3rr, nothing personal) from getting nasty, and let’s try to just talk about the available information from TROS.

I’m sorry, but this is the same excuse that people have been using since the prequels (and really, the weaker parts of ROTJ) to get away with bad storytelling. Claiming that these stories are “just for twelve year olds” doesn’t mean anything. It doesn’t justify bad filmmaking. It doesn’t justify putting childish things into the films. If these films were really meant for children, they would not be the phenomena they are today. The whole reason they are so important in pop culture is because they appealed to more than just children. Furthermore, quoting Lucas doesn’t make what you say absolute truth. He’s just a man; he’s not a god, and he’s certainly not responsible for everything that’s great about Star Wars. Let’s remember that this is the man who says Han didn’t shoot first; that wrote a screenplay about the Jedi-bendu named Mace Windy (that’s the name of the main character in the first draft); that wanted to include a line in Raiders of the Lost Ark about Indiana Jones having had a relationship with a minor (check out the transcripts of the story meetings between Spielberg, Lucas, and I think Kasdan). A big reason why these films have been moving towards a younger audience since ROTJ is for two reasons: one, children were an untapped market for merchandise that Star Wars essentially set the precedent for; and two: George was getting older by the time of the prequels, and the older you are (and the younger children you have in your family), the less likely you are to be edgy. Look at Spielberg and the infamous removal of the guns from E.T. I’m not knocking George, but continuing to come up with these kinds of arguments against other people for not liking the new films (or the prequels, or EU, or the cartoons, or whatever) are not fairly looking at criticisms of the films. Calling people whiners, or saying the film “isn’t for them”, or that it’s just a “kids’ film”, is to totally discount any real grievances and to put down or invalidate other people’s opinions. Are there total trolls out there that are just angry and want to bash everything? Yes, definitely. (I think TLJ especially taught us that). But let’s just get back on track talking (respectfully agreeing or disagreeing) about TROS, without using inflammatory language or discounting real discussion on this/these films. Ultimately, I could just say “Well, in the long run, movies aren’t really important. There are so many things that actually matter and that we should actually spend money on, yada yada yada.” But that doesn’t help anyone and this isn’t the place for that. Asking people not to post negative things is too tall an order with this much passion (and nostalgia) involved, especially on the internet. Asking not to hear anything negative just because you want to believe that everyone likes something as much as you is avoiding reality. If the people over on the R1 stormtrooper thread are allowed to complain a little because the helmets are symmetrical and the lines along the sides aren’t just stickers, I think we can allow people to dislike these films a little. Just keep things civil, keep complaints (or rebuttals, sorry again Joek3rr, nothing personal) from getting nasty, and let’s try to just talk about the available information from TROS.
I what to challenge people to not post something negative without posting something postive as well. So if you have 2 negative things to say, post 2 postive things as well. I think it would be a good and postive exercise. It's so easy to find things to complain about these days.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have my own opinion. I've often stated my like for certain aspects of the films so to say otherwise is false. I get that hearing criticism of your beloved franchise might hurt your feelings but it doesn't give you the right to dictate to everyone else how to think or feel. It's this kind of mentality that drives the wedge of division further into the Fandom because it dismisses not just critical thought but any negativity because it hurts your feelings.

Many times I've gone too far and openly admitted fault where I have been temperamental with you or others where I perhaps I shouldn't have. I will continue to do so if I am out of line. As it should be because I'm not perfect.

But it's responses like this that make me angry because it doesn't invite discussion or reasonable thought. It essentially is your way or the highway.

I don't take too kindly to responses like that and I suspect you're not going to make many friends with it either.

To be honest it that's how you really feel about it then why are we even having this discussion if no one is allowed to disagree with you?

You don't want opposition? Start a blog.

Last edited:
Sorry, no. "Don't look a gifthorse in the mouth" means the same thing as "Beggars can't be choosers".
We're not receiving charity here, we're paying for a product.
If you order a ribeye at a restaraunt and get served chopped liver do you say "Oh well, at least I got something", or do you say "This isn't what I wanted, I'm not paying for this"?
Coming from a family who made a living ranching and being a cowboy, I am correct.
'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth' - "find fault with something that has been received as a gift or favor."
'Beggars can't be choosers' - "people with no other options must be content with what is offered."

While we are paying for a product. In a sense we are receiving a gift. George didn't have to sell, Disney didn't have to make new movies. And it's not like they need the money. (Remember at that point the toys had made twice as much as all the Star Wars films combined) We could have nothing right now. The most exciting thing that could be happening right now could be a new novel? Maybe?

And then there's your example.... The problem is, your not ordering a new Star Wars film like you would a steak. They aren't making these new films specifically for you.

I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to have my own opinion. I've often stated my like for certain aspects of the films so to say otherwise is false. I get that hearing criticism of your beloved franchise might hurt your feelings but it doesn't give you the right to dictate to everyone else how to think or feel. It's this kind of mentality that drives the wedge of division further into the Fandom because it dismisses not just critical thought but any negativity because it hurts your feelings.

Many times I've gone too far and openly admitted fault where I have been temperamental with you or others where I perhaps I shouldn't have. I will continue to do so if I am out of line. As it should be because I'm not perfect.

But it's responses like this that make me angry because it doesn't invite discussion or reasonable thought. It essentially is your way or the highway.

I don't take too kindly to responses like that and I suspect you're not going to make many friends with it either.

To be honest it that's how you really feel about it then why are we even having this discussion if no one is allowed to disagree with you?

You don't want opposition? Start a blog.
And where did I say you couldn't have your own opinion?

I want there to be discussions. But right now it just feels like all we get is incessant negativity. Let's try to inject a little positivity into our fandom, for the the sake our mental state.

Let’s just get back to TROS…

I will say that the first trailer for IX had me very excited. It all looked pretty good to me. I liked the skiff sequence, Lando back in the Falcon, what looks like an A-Wing (a very underused ship) in several shots; I was very excited.

It’s been discussed before that it’s kind of a let down how few new lightsabers there are in this trilogy with Rey basically putting a bandaid on the Graflex, but after seeing the switchsaber I’d rather her stick with the Graflex.

I have to say I’m a little disappointed that it seems (not guaranteed yet) that TROS will be steamrolling over one of the most important takeaways from TLJ: it doesn’t matter your lineage, that the Force is a spiritual, mystical thing of faith and not determined by having magic blood. It’s looking like they will interpret that cave scene from TLJ as Rey being a clone, which will mean that it does matter where you get the Force, and that it’s not a spiritual thing at all. Again, this is just from what it looks like right now, and I could be wrong. I could also be right and the movie could be good even with this story. But it doesn’t seem likely to me, I’ve had enough of clones.

As a filmmaker myself, I’m not loving the color grade/VFX of the sequel trilogy in general, even considering that I do enjoy both TFA and TLJ. The spin-off films have hit that mark much better in my opinion.

Not enough info to tell how this film will be. I like that. Movies always give away too much, just knowing Palps returns seems like a big reveal to me, but I will reserve any judgement til release. Hoping for cool toys though! Looks like Rey found a build-a-saber kit :lol

Not enough info to tell how this film will be. I like that. Movies always give away too much, just knowing Palps returns seems like a big reveal to me, but I will reserve any judgement til release. Hoping for cool toys though! Looks like Rey found a build-a-saber kit :lol

I can't wait to see what all the talented saber builders come up with!

I think the term "Films for morons" means Disney is milking the franchise with subpar quality and have no shame because they know we will pay to watch, they know money is the main goal and they know they will get it. The Endgame added a half finished scene and was rereleased just to beat Avatar in the #1 boxoffice spot. They know people will pay no matter what. This is my theory and it has been for a while. Take into account Disney is remaking cartoons into "live action" (we all know its cgi) just to milk nostalgia for profit, there is no need to update their aninations into real life movies, but they know people will throw money at it, so they do it.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back