Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

The D23 Expo is not an investor's event. D23 is the official fan club of Disney. The expo they have every 2 years is open to the public. They get just as much, if not more, traction out of that as a panel at SDCC. Rather than being just 1 of many studios people are reporting on, they'll own the entire weekend.

Even still...7 had a year's lead up that never really seemed to let up. 8 had 7 had 8-9 months with plenty being discussed and released in that time (interviews, teases, etc). We're at 5.5 months to go for 9 and there's been basically one tease and next to no discussion publicly. Even here the chatter about is very subdued compared to the last two.

It's also called being defeatist when you could be leading the fight to take back the narrative.

There's nothing bad to be said about 9 right now as next to nothing is known about it still - which frankly, is a good thing. Nothing wrong with trying to positively stoke the fires as well. I thought stuff like this was their big failing with Solo. Not a word for the most part between TLJ and the end of April, then standard tv commercials into May and that was it. I get part of it was trying not to step on the toes of TLJ, but at the same time, if internal review doesn't show that lack of support/advertising didn't contributed to the results of Solo, then they're totally lost. I mean, i realize that they could not do jack until 12/1 and 9 will still be pushing 10 figures. But, to me, the longer they keep quiet it is as if they have more to hide. Disney/LF cowering from toxic a-holes? That would be pathetically sad.

I'm not sure how many of you watched the Episode 9 panel at Celebration this year but if the movie is anything like that then I don't have much hope for the film. It was like watching an agoraphobic trying to throw a party. Awkward, forced, and bereft of any genuine excitement.

It makes me wonder if Disney isn't confident in their movie enough to start promotion until closer to the release, or if they are trying to build anticipation by not releasing anything until later in the year. Either way I'm out but it is curious how little info is out there.

I don't know man, I just keep thinking about that panel. It was painful to watch and I just felt bad for the actors.

Last edited:
There's nothing bad to be said about 9 right now as next to nothing is known about it still

While this is objectively true, nonetheless it hasn't stopped there being plenty of bad being said simply because those saying it hated the last one (and to a lesser degree, TFA) so much that they just can't stop saying bad things about "New Star Wars", even though--as you say--we know almost nothing about it. That fact doesn't seem to matter to some. After all since--as they claim--Star Wars is dead anyway, might as well assume the next one will suck, right?

I don't know man, I just keep thinking about that panel. It was painful to watch and I just felt bad for the actors.

One thing to consider, though in these sorts of panels: fans ask all kinds of questions at them that the actors and production staff cannot answer. I reckon that accounts for some of the awkwardness, because of course they **want** to answer.. they **want** to give fans SOMETHING, but they don't always have a way of wording things that is both satisfying to fans and also stays within the bounds of what they can reveal about the film.

I'm not saying that excuses all of it, but it certainly must have played a large part in why the panel felt stiff.

Oh that's certainly true given their need keep the secrecy of the plot intact. To me, and this could just be me, this last panel just felt off, as if they were reticent to give anything substantial to the fans more out of a lack of confidence in the story. Again that could just be my take away but in comparison to the TFA and TLJ panels something just felt off.

It will be interesting to see how this new installment is received and in turn how the break between film releases (given Disney is taking a few years break before releasing more movies) is taken by the fans.

Personally, I could care less about panels. Especially these days. I remember the touring for E7 and all the actors saying there were reps travelling with them telling them what they could and couldn't say, etc. I get secrecy. But all you'll get is 'so and so was great', 'the shoot was <insert adjective>', "thoughts on the press tour/fans", etc. With the amount of buzz created from the slightest hints, drop a poster, or a teaser and be done with it, it'll get people talking. Run a teaser with music and the date and a quick clip to get the date and thought in people's heads, etc.

In the past, the stuff that got out was not through actors. Script details got leaked way early that turned out to be true, etc.

I liked 7 and did not like 8. Neither means i will or won't like 9. I said after 9 as well that I won't write 8 off forever until i see 9. I wasn't a big ESB fan until after ROTJ because as a 9 year old, it was 2 hours of my heroes getting their butts kicked for 2 hours :)

My gut feel though is they're trying to get too much from this and not doing it right. The funny thing about secrecy, too, is that they will put out a crap ton of toys come September that WILL have spoilerish information. It goes back to the first of the prequels when they only put out stuff like 6 weeks early. The E1 soundtrack has a track listing you can see in the store on the back of the case, name of one of tracks was something like 'Death of Qui Gonn'. The definition of something you can't do prior to release. But we'll have a full soundtrack and track listing 3 months out, tons of toys, etc, so things WILL be spoiled ahead of time. Likely not big stuff, but much more than i'd prefer to have out as a fan or head of studio frankly.

Gone are the days when the release of a Star Wars movie, teaser , title, poster, etc was an event. As much as I disagree with Georges changes to the OT and the PT as a story, man did that guy know how to market his films!

I think the 3 years wait between films certainly helped.

Last edited:
Make no mistake about it. If they had the ability of today back in the 70's, the first three would have been done in less than 3 year spans. it just wasn't possible then, but it's very possible now. Same with the PT, though, they were inventing tech as they went so the time might have helped more there. But if it already existed, they'd have been quicker as well. But what was done originally flat out wasn't possible in 2 year spans. As GL said, he spent nearly 10 years doing the OT and didn't want to do it again...until he did with the PT.

The three years did allow for more time to look at the script/story and work on it. I think that may be the biggest casualty of the faster timeframe. No time to reflect and take stock of where you are how it's going. They went basically from sale, to having to (in theory) outline all three flicks and then completely script the first one, cast, shoot, finish, and release in like 2-2.5 years. Way to quick for what had to be done. That's the difference between being beholden to just LFL and being beholden to your corporate overlord. If they say it needs to be out this date, you have to put it out then. I don't think the original released dates were what LFL was after, I do think that's what Disney wanted.

I agree that the span of time between releases under George was in order to build the tech to make the films, but Lucas himself also knew how to always "find" previously lost footage or archive material and learned how to stretch that across decades over multiple forms of content in such a way that I've never seen before or since.

It was truly brilliant marketing which found most die hard fans buying every new release of the films if only for the access to some new content that wasn't previously available. How many times did most of us purchase the same three movies over and over as they were released with upgraded picture and sound and behind the scenes content? No one did it better than George because we kept buying it almost without question.

The webisodes were awesome. We got to see plenty of behind the scenes, but also didn't spoil everything. I think was in one of them George says something about "and I'll just stand there looking miserable". Not everything was painted in the the most positive light, like we seem to only see these days. Sadly, we'll never see that sort of access or supplemental materials again.

Last edited:
I agree. Those webisodes were fantastic and a fairly honest look at how the movies were made. Not everything was perfect. It's the reason why I kept my Prequel DVD's for so many years. I wasn't so much interested in the movies themselves and for the last decade or so that I owned them I couldn't bear to watch them no matter how many times I tried. It was the fantastic documentaries and behind the scenes material that was worth owning by a long shot. In fact all these years later those documentaries are STILL fantastic!

Granted 2005 was 14 years ago now and things have changed drastically since. Not just with the ownership of Lucasfilm, but the entertainment world itself is a totally different animal in a lot of ways. It will be interesting indeed to see how these new films age (in my estimation not well at all) but to also see what happens as Disney continues making them far beyond the saga films.

I still think there may be potential with The Mandalorian.

No one hates Star Wars more than the fans! Let’s face it, we’ve been saying that any new version of Star Wars has sucked since 1999, yet we keep dropping billions of dollars into their bucket!

They don't get much of my money honestly. I haven't collected too much of the merchandise since my collecting days. I spend far more on materials/ parts for props than I do anything officially licensed. Most of what I want they don't offer anyway. Either fans make them or I make my own stuff.

They don't get much of my money honestly. I haven't collected too much of the merchandise since my collecting days. I spend far more on materials/ parts for props than I do anything officially licensed. Most of what I want they don't offer anyway. Either fans make them or I make my own stuff.
I'm in your boat for the most part.

I'm not sure how many of you watched the Episode 9 panel at Celebration this year but if the movie is anything like that then I don't have much hope for the film. It was like watching an agoraphobic trying to throw a party. Awkward, forced, and bereft of any genuine excitement.

It makes me wonder if Disney isn't confident in their movie enough to start promotion until closer to the release, or if they are trying to build anticipation by not releasing anything until later in the year. Either way I'm out but it is curious how little info is out there.

The host wasn't great and didn't help at all. Why they don't make those panels more of a homely in a casual chat way, rather than the dressed up on a bar stool up tight fashion that seems to prevail.

JJ is just doing what he did for TFA, by keeping back the info and trailers etc, until nearer release. He also knows that there is won't be pleasing some, so why bother putting it out there for it to be ripped apart and whinged about for months and months.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back