Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Hahahaha true! Though I think the only film Ive ever seen a truly badly done effect with that is in The Road Warrior when max tries to escape in his car. Still one of my favorite films but that shots pure cringe :lol:
Ghostbusters...when they go for their first assignment and the Ecto 1 leaves the garage for the first time...every time I’m like “whyyy”...
I think there is a main factor (or two) in what makes what should be a simple effect look bad. While speeding up the film 2x, the vehicles appear to move twice as fast, which is definitely feasible and something most of us humans have a reference for (I’m sure all of us have seen fast-moving objects). What ultimately ruins the effect is that by increasing the speed 2x, the force of gravity is also multiplied 2x, and our brain simply can’t accept what looks like a vehicle going 90mph getting pulled down by gravity like it’s going slower/weighs twice as much. This creates an unreal mixture that our eyes are unable to perceive as real, as we have seen otherwise. It doesn’t help that the camera pans unusually fast/smooth or people doing things much quicker than usual.

I think there is a main factor (or two) in what makes what should be a simple effect look bad. While speeding up the film 2x, the vehicles appear to move twice as fast, which is definitely feasible and something most of us humans have a reference for (I’m sure all of us have seen fast-moving objects). What ultimately ruins the effect is that by increasing the speed 2x, the force of gravity is also multiplied 2x, and our brain simply can’t accept what looks like a vehicle going 90mph getting pulled down by gravity like it’s going slower/weighs twice as much. This creates an unreal mixture that our eyes are unable to perceive as real, as we have seen otherwise. It doesn’t help that the camera pans unusually fast/smooth or people doing things much quicker than usual.
Well there’s that and all the other stuff like exhaust fumes, pebbles on the road, the way the car bounces on the road that are always comically quick when sped up.

Well there’s that and all the other stuff like exhaust fumes, pebbles on the road, the way the car bounces on the road that are always comically quick when sped up.
Caused exactly by the reasons I’ve stated. The fumes are moving twice as fast, the pebbles are also moving twice as fast, but are pulled down by gravity twice as fast, and the car’s going to bounce unnaturally at 2x speed because gravity is treating it like it’s going half as fast. In short, when the laws of physics get thrown out the window in such a blatant matter, no one is fooled.

ye-cannot-change-the-laws-of-physics.jpg

The whole Trek vs. Wars stuff was silly to begin with. You can't compare the two by the same metrics. One is science fiction, the other space opera. Two totally different genres.

It APPEARS to be someone getting a lot of joy from Star Wars.

We cant even just enjoy other people enjoying things anymore? Does seeing someone else getting so much joy from something really hurt you?

Last edited:
It APPEARS to be someone getting a lot of joy from Star Wars.

We cant even just enjoy other people enjoying things anymore? Does seeing someone else getting so much joy from something really hurt you?

Point taken and I wholeheartedly agree; I wouldn’t be a “fan” if I didn’t enjoy these things either for myself or within the community at-large.

My question was really surrounding the apparent histrionics of the man. I sincerely wish the teaser trailer brought me tears of joy as well. Am I jealous that my in place of a heart I have a vacuous hole in my chest, while this man apparently is reacting with pure joy? Perhaps ;)

Last edited:
Some things that popped into my head going through those Vanity Fair photos.

The Knights of Ren are in the film! Yay!
star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-15.jpg

Kerri Russell's character is said to be on the planet Kijimi. Reminds me of Kejim from Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast. A similar mountainous world, where the Reborn Empire attempted to turn non-Force sensitives into Force sensitives.
star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-09%2520(1).jpg

Rey and Ben are sparring in water, makes me think this is wherever the Death Star ruins are. I can't make out what they are standing on though.
star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-05.jpg

Luke is back, no surprise there. Striking a similar pose to one seen in Vanity Fair's TLJ write up. What he is up to though is a mystery to me. But what surprised me is that Luke is in the flesh. Not Force ghosty looking, though it could be that they decided not to add that effect for the photo.

star-wars-feature-vf-2019-summer-embed-10%2520(1).jpg

And finally. Except for the shot with Ben and Rey fighting. Rey's left side is either facing away from the camera and when we do see her left side, the Graflex isn't there. I have a feeling she might be building here own lightsaber.
2019-06-summer-cover-01.png

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back