Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

If so, it seems like forced linkage to the prequels.

There may not have been a lot, but there was a bit of stuff from the prequels that relate into the OT. OWK, tatooine, yoda, clone wars, etc.

I see next to nothing to this point in the ST that relates back to the OT or prequels. I see nothing brought forward. I see things stomped just to stomp them, but nothing that's actually carrying a story forward. Especially when it's supposed to be carrying the entire story forward to a 9 episode finale'.

I'm thinking the finale' to tie up everything to this point aspect should be dropped. They'll be hard pressed to tie up what happens in just 7-9. Kylo dying in the end (whether for good or bad) isn't a conclusion to 1-9, just 7-9.

If so, it seems like forced linkage to the prequels.

There may not have been a lot, but there was a bit of stuff from the prequels that relate into the OT. OWK, tatooine, yoda, clone wars, etc.

Well that's one of the problems. We have Tatooine, but it's not called that. We have Coruscant, but it's not called that. Hoth, but.... and so on. Plug in whatever you want, even Yavin, and LFL ripped off their own locations, and gave them different names. They haven't yet returned to any PT or OT locations in the ST. They just have stand-ins.

Now we're getting a series called "The Madolorian", but it's not Boba or Jango.

As Grand Moff Tarkin once said, "This bickering is pointless.".

The ST had potential in the beginning, but that potential is gone. As much of a Star Wars fan that I am, it's sad the I'm really not looking forward to IX with excitement, and I'm not the only one.

I'll wait for teasers, Episode title release, trailers, etc. If those can recapture my interest then I may even go see it in the theater, possibly even opening weekend. But, for now, I'm done. TFA was decent until TLJ ruined it. And that, in and of itself, killed my excitement for future episodes.

I am optimistic- TLJ painted them into a corner and has largely been considered a failure on many levels. They are under a lot of pressure to salvage the franchise and it will be very interesting to see how they try to manage that.

Last edited:
I am optimistic- TLJ painted them into a corner and has largely been considered a failure on may levels. They are under a lot of pressure to salvage the franchise and it will be very interesting to see how they try to manage that.

I'd like for that to happen, but i look for them to pull a george and simply double down on the 'we're doing what we want because it's our story' aspect. If i'm wrong, great, but that's what i'm prepping for.

It's takes farsightedness to see past the fact that even though TLJ did lots of damage that it still pulled in over 1B. Considering they spent 200M on it, all they'll see is financial success I fear. More fear is that they'll blame Solo on being too close to TLJ and that people weren't ready for it as opposed to blowback or it not being good enough, etc.

the fact we have to hope they see where they went wrong vs them keeping the status quo by rationalizing everything after the fact.

I am optimistic- TLJ painted them into a corner and has largely been considered a failure on many levels. They are under a lot of pressure to salvage the franchise and it will be very interesting to see how they try to manage that.

I'm optimistic that IX will be better than VIII, but it's nearly impossible to do worse than VIII.

VIII was the absolute low-point of SW so far, but it's part of a bad trilogy. If you do a trilogy without any direction and start it like the trilogy before started even though that didn't make any sense, well you can't expect a satisfying conclusion. I think IX will try to repair the damage that VIII did and just ends with an plain happy end.

Richard E Grant (Oscar Nominee.....lol) has just said on Chris Evans breakfast show (not THAT Chris Evans) that he has just finished filming Star Wars. I wonder who he will lay as I LOVE HIM!! Being English and Posh I guess he'll be a high ranking First Order Officer. We do do villains well.

I'm optimistic that IX will be better than VIII, but it's nearly impossible to do worse than VIII.

VIII was the absolute low-point of SW so far, but it's part of a bad trilogy. If you do a trilogy without any direction and start it like the trilogy before started even though that didn't make any sense, well you can't expect a satisfying conclusion. I think IX will try to repair the damage that VIII did and just ends with an plain happy end.

Adam Driver recently said that he's known from the start where Ben's story was going and how it was going to end. So I doubt everything was planned out, but somethings certainly were.

"With Star Wars, I had one piece of information of where it was all going, and that's where it has been in my head for a long time, and things were building towards that. It feels very theatrical, if anything. Because in the plays that I've done, a six-month run, on the very last day, you finally feel like, Oh, now I have a better understanding of what it is that I want to do. I wish we could do this all over again. Working on a play, the questions you can ask yourself are infinite, and that's what's torturous about film sometimes - you only have one shot to get it right. And you can do a lot of takes, but we're not all going to get back together again and do this. But for something you're doing for six years, you still have a chance to go back and make something a little bit more articulated."

Adam Driver recently said that he's known from the start where Ben's story was going and how it was going to end. So I doubt everything was planned out, but somethings certainly were.

"With Star Wars, I had one piece of information of where it was all going, and that's where it has been in my head for a long time, and things were building towards that. It feels very theatrical, if anything. Because in the plays that I've done, a six-month run, on the very last day, you finally feel like, Oh, now I have a better understanding of what it is that I want to do. I wish we could do this all over again. Working on a play, the questions you can ask yourself are infinite, and that's what's torturous about film sometimes - you only have one shot to get it right. And you can do a lot of takes, but we're not all going to get back together again and do this. But for something you're doing for six years, you still have a chance to go back and make something a little bit more articulated."
That's actually pretty interesting. Made me a bit curious as I felt that very little creative or original was done to him in Ep8, I felt that Ep8 should have been the real turning point, which it kinda was, but IMO the least interesting outcome. So yea I wonder how they would make something "theatrical" or climactic from this.

That's actually pretty interesting. Made me a bit curious as I felt that very little creative or original was done to him in Ep8, I felt that Ep8 should have been the real turning point, which it kinda was, but IMO the least interesting outcome. So yea I wonder how they would make something "theatrical" or climactic from this.

I may be misunderstanding you, so sorry:D

But I think he's meaning that it feels a little more like working on the stage (or theater). The actor knows where the story is going from the start. That information can help to inform his or her acting choices. Plus spending so much time being that character I'm sure helps. I imagine he can hardly watch TFA or TLJ as he's probably always thinking of what he could have done better.

Joek3rr Well there were quotes that there was a sheet for the trilogy but RJ threw it away when he started TLJ, that's what I heard recently. I think it came from Ridley.

"Here’s what I think I know. J.J. wrote Episode VII, as well as drafts for VIII & IX," Ridley said. "Then Rian Johnson arrived and wrote TLJ entirely. I believe there was some sort of general consensus on the main lines of the trilogy, but apart from that, every director writes and realizes his film in his own way."

She still says that the central core remained the same. I have a feeling that Holdo, Rose, the praetorians, DJ, and possibly Snoke's death (Adam's thoughts make this one kinda sketchy) were all Rian.

Also JJ said he had wished he had gotten to direct episode 8 using Rian's script.

I think there's been alot more planning going on then we know. And George has had a lot imput then we realize (there are some weird similarities between TFA and his animated film Strange Magic)

I gotta say though. I'm anxious about episode 9. JJ has never ended a story like this. He's good at kicking things off using his "mystery box" aproach. But ending something............. Patrick (H) Willems did an interesting video that's worth watching, where he tries to figure out what episode 9 is going to be by looking at JJ's past works.

I may be misunderstanding you, so sorry:D

But I think he's meaning that it feels a little more like working on the stage (or theater). The actor knows where the story is going from the start. That information can help to inform his or her acting choices. Plus spending so much time being that character I'm sure helps. I imagine he can hardly watch TFA or TLJ as he's probably always thinking of what he could have done better.
Now I’m not sure I understand you...
What I meant is that if there was a draft of Kylo’s arc over this trilogy and they kept it then it would be interesting to see how they would pay it off in ep9 to make an impact and be climactic cuz so far what happened to him in ep8 does not really set up anything new or exciting to happen in ep9 other than either die as a villain or get redeemed. The only thing I can think of is that they’ll pull a Snape.

Now I’m not sure I understand you...
What I meant is that if there was a draft of Kylo’s arc over this trilogy and they kept it then it would be interesting to see how they would pay it off in ep9 to make an impact and be climactic cuz so far what happened to him in ep8 does not really set up anything new or exciting to happen in ep9 other than either die as a villain or get redeemed. The only thing I can think of is that they’ll pull a Snape.

Ah, gotcha.

I think the possibility of him being redeemed is pretty exciting. But to each his own.

Well if that was all planned like this, they should keep telling people that there's no plan at all.

Someone should hit up Phil Szostak on Twitter and ask him. He wrote 'The Art of Art of The Force Awakens' and 'The Art of The Last Jedi'. He's been behind the scenes for most of everthing, so he'd probably know. (If he can say)

Ah, gotcha.

I think the possibility of him being redeemed is pretty exciting. But to each his own.
Been there done that is my problem with it. Could have taken many interesting turns in Ep8, but we've also been there and done that in terms of discussion. :)
I mean if they pull it off then by all means, great.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back