Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

Sometimes if the prequels are playing on tv I might leave it on that channel, but simply as background noise. It's not like I actually watch and pay attention to them. I don't think I've actually sat down and watched any of the prequels since they first came out on dvd.

There are two reasons why I only now am selling my Prequel DVD's. One, I know I won't get much money for them . Two, to their credit, the bonus discs are actually a great compendium of documentaries that are totally worth owning vs. the films themselves. In fact I haven't sat down and watched any of the films from start to finish in close to a decade, but I have watched the behind the scenes materials countless times. Even if the films were bad, the making of them is still fascinating to me.

The Sequels lack both. There is little to no behind the scenes content vs. what was offered with the Prequels, and what is there is so polished that I can at least give credit to Lucas for being more honest about how his films were made versus the current Lucasfilm offerings where all people seem to do is kiss each others asses. Before anyone bothers to recommend that I watch The Director and the Jedi, I'll tell you now that I've seen extended clips from it and they did nothing to change my mind about the direction of the series. If anything it further cemented my anger at the choices made when there was clear objection by Mark Hamill that was flatly ignored to satisfy one man's ego.

No amount of ret-conning can undo the damage these films have done either which is why I am skipping 9 entirely. To each their own but I'm done watching them trash the characters I grew up with and have loved since the beginning.

Before anyone bothers to recommend that I watch The Director and the Jedi, I'll tell you now that I've seen extended clips from it and they did nothing to change my mind about the direction of the series. If anything it further cemented my anger at the choices made when there was clear objection by Mark Hamill that was flatly ignored to satisfy one man's ego.

Context is everything:D you should totally watch it from beginning to end.

"There is no one more deserving of trust" - Mark Hamill speaking about Rian Johnson

Insider-spread-5.jpg

There is little to no behind the scenes content vs. what was offered with the Prequels, and what is there is so polished that I can at least give credit to Lucas for being more honest about how his films were made versus the current Lucasfilm offerings where all people seem to do is kiss each others asses.

This is so true. I collect DVDs and Blurays mostly based on what extra contents are on the release. I was so disappointed in TFA's behind the scenes featurettes...nothing insightful, nothing about any struggles, decisions, choices both creatively and logistically or technically, even the SFX part does not go into real detail, as you say it's mostly people complimenting each other and raving how wonderful everything is. I can relate to John Carpenter so much more when he says "filmmaking is a grind, it's hard work".

Before anyone bothers to recommend that I watch The Director and the Jedi, I'll tell you now that I've seen extended clips from it and they did nothing to change my mind about the direction of the series. If anything it further cemented my anger at the choices made when there was clear objection by Mark Hamill that was flatly ignored to satisfy one man's ego.

I've watched it just because I'm interested in filmmaking and creative processes. Again not much in it. That documentary completely lacks any structure, there are random short scenes of him and other people working, no narration, no explanation, it's just a video diary and half of it is really the producer trying to figure out budgets and logistics of transporting sets and puppets. I haven't learned much from that documentary to be honest.

Context is everything:D you should totally watch it from beginning to end.

"There is no one more deserving of trust" - Mark Hamill speaking about Rian Johnson
He also said "if I'm great it's Rian's credit. But if it's horrible it's also his fault, hehe"...:lol:

This is so true. I collect DVDs and Blurays mostly based on what extra contents are on the release. I was so disappointed in TFA's behind the scenes featurettes...nothing insightful, nothing about any struggles, decisions, choices both creatively and logistically or technically, even the SFX part does not go into real detail, as you say it's mostly people complimenting each other and raving how wonderful everything is. I can relate to John Carpenter so much more when he says "filmmaking is a grind, it's hard work".

I've watched it just because I'm interested in filmmaking and creative processes. Again not much in it. That documentary completely lacks any structure, there are random short scenes of him and other people working, no narration, no explanation, it's just a video diary and half of it is really the producer trying to figure out budgets and logistics of transporting sets and puppets. I haven't learned much from that documentary to be honest.

He also said "if I'm great it's Rian's credit. But if it's horrible it's also his fault, hehe"...:lol:

Didn't Carrie say something similar as well?

Mark Hamill is a professional. Of course he isn't going to bad mouth his director.

Even if I wanted to watch the documentary I would have to buy the Bluray, and I won't be giving any of my money to support that film other than the cash I wasted seeing it in the first place.

Again Joek3rr I've stated my opinion on the matter and told you that I've made up my mind about it. You don't need to convince me otherwise because it won't work. I've seen enough of the documentary to know that even out of context it won't change my opinion about Rian Johnson or his movie. I don't understand why you can't get past that. I never begrudged you for being in love with the movie, even if I wholeheartedly disagree with you about it. Why is it so hard to extend the same courtesy to those of us who loathe it?

It's exchanges like this that have only furthered the divide among fans. I don't need convincing. I don't need to see the movie again. I'm entitled to my opinion about a movie, as are you. You don't need to talk me into loving something that I never will. Just get over it. If you want to love it, by all means, LOVE IT! Just don't speak to me as though I'm stupid and don't understand the movie. I get it. I just didn't like it. Deal.

Mark Hamill is a professional. Of course he isn't going to bad mouth his director.

Even if I wanted to watch the documentary I would have to buy the Bluray, and I won't be giving any of my money to support that film other than the cash I wasted seeing it in the first place.

Again Joek3rr I've stated my opinion on the matter and told you that I've made up my mind about it. You don't need to convince me otherwise because it won't work. I've seen enough of the documentary to know that even out of context it won't change my opinion about Rian Johnson or his movie. I don't understand why you can't get past that. I never begrudged you for being in love with the movie, even if I wholeheartedly disagree with you about it. Why is it so hard to extend the same courtesy to those of us who loathe it?

It's exchanges like this that have only furthered the divide among fans. I don't need convincing. I don't need to see the movie again. I'm entitled to my opinion about a movie, as are you. You don't need to talk me into loving something that I never will. Just get over it. If you want to love it, by all means, LOVE IT! Just don't speak to me as though I'm stupid and don't understand the movie. I get it. I just didn't like it. Deal.

I wish everyone could see the new Star Wars the way I do. I just know everyone would love it!

And you wonder why people turn on you. You said a few pages back that after having a fairly nice exchange with someone in the YouTube comments about Star Wars at one point they did a 360 and started flat out insulting you. You ever wonder why that is?

I'm not suggesting that people should be rude to you, but have you ever CONSIDERED that just because you feel a certain way that not everyone needs to feel the same way. I'm willing to agree to disagree. Are you? Because almost every exchange I've had with you seems to prove otherwise. It's not your job shape everyone's opinions. I don't like being told how to feel or think. I can make up my own mind.

It's one thing to express an opinion or take a stand on something, it's something else entirely to force your views on others which is exactly what you do time and time again. I say this not to be mean but to help you become aware of how you come across to other people. You seem like a decent person and you mean well, so I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to get you to understand why people react to you the way they do.

These kinds of exchanges are simply not productive. There is a way to share your opinions without being willfully ignorant of people's right to disagree with you. In fact I would rather have you flat out tell me I'm wrong and argue with me, because at least if you did that you would be speaking to me like an adult and not talking down to me. That's how adults talk to children. We're all adults here. We can have opposing views and still be respectful of one another.

It's why even though I disagree with kristen jones, Solo4114, and Inquisitor Peregrinus, we can have an exchange of ideas because none of us are forcing our ideas onto one another and even if at the end of the day we disagree, we still respect one another and I consider them friends.

Last edited:
And you wonder why people turn on you. You said a few pages back that after having a fairly nice exchange with someone in the YouTube comments about Star Wars at one point they did a 360 and started flat out insulting you. You ever wonder why that is?

I'm not suggesting that people should be rude to you, but have you ever CONSIDERED that just because you feel a certain way that not everyone needs to feel the same way. I'm willing to agree to disagree. Are you? Because almost every exchange I've had with you seems to prove otherwise. It's not your job shape everyone's opinions. I don't like being told how to feel or think. I can make up my own mind.

It's one thing to express an opinion or take a stand on something, it's something else entirely to force your views on others which is exactly what you do time and time again. I say this not to be mean but to help you become aware of how you come across to other people. You seem like a decent person and you mean well, so I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to get you to understand why people react to you the way they do. These kinds of exchanges are simply not productive. There is a way to share your opinions without being willfully ignorant of people's right to disagree with you.

It's why even though I disagree with kristen jones, Solo4114, and Inquisitor Peregrinus, we can have an exchange of ideas because none of us are forcing our ideas onto one another and even if at the end of the day we disagree, we still respect one another and I consider them friends.

No law that says I can't give it a try.

I never said you had to change your mind. Just stop telling me to change mine because you don't like it.

There is no law against you voicing your opinion, but that doesn't give YOU the right to dictate to other people how to think or feel.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back