Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
Mine was more Raiders, when the Nazi got his hat blown off before melting.
Yea, now that you mention that too.
I got this particular image in mind:
4300751fc45de42ba9ef839552991ba4.jpg

Sooooo....I tried it again yesterday, thinking maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was in the theater. Nope. It maybe one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. What I did get this time that I didn't get the first time was just how badly the world building was bungled in this trilogy. Palpatine is defeated forever (sure...because THIS time is different...because reasons...or raisins...who cares?), the FO is defeated (the might that has occupied the entire galaxy in a matter of days as of last film and a year now is obliterated across the entire GFFA when the Final Order fleet goes 'foom', again, because 'reasons' - don't think about it), and we celebrate by seeing citizens of the galaxy rejoice across all of those fabulously iconic locations from this new trilogy...like....the forest moon of Endor, and, er....Cloud City (where I can only imagine they were rolling their eyes and going 'hooray. whatever. Fool me once with freeing the galaxy, shame on you, fool me twice shame on...Shmi...or something').

Sooooo....I tried it again yesterday, thinking maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought it was in the theater. Nope. It maybe one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. What I did get this time that I didn't get the first time was just how badly the world building was bungled in this trilogy. Palpatine is defeated forever (sure...because THIS time is different...because reasons...or raisins...who cares?), the FO is defeated (the might that has occupied the entire galaxy in a matter of days as of last film and a year now is obliterated across the entire GFFA when the Final Order fleet goes 'foom', again, because 'reasons' - don't think about it), and we celebrate by seeing citizens of the galaxy rejoice across all of those fabulously iconic locations from this new trilogy...like....the forest moon of Endor, and, er....Cloud City (where I can only imagine they were rolling their eyes and going 'hooray. whatever. Fool me once with freeing the galaxy, shame on you, fool me twice shame on...Shmi...or something').

The whole sequel trilogy was just a poor retelling/rehash of the OT.

Having very low expectations based on the previous film (which I will never watch again) helps one enjoy this one. It isn't "real" Star Wars, but it's enjoyable enough as an official fan film. :)

Having been so completely letdown by Last Jedi I didn't even bother to see this in the theaters. And im kind of glad I didnt because as im sure many others have already mentioned its essentially just ROTJ but bigger, glossier and dumber.

Having very low expectations based on the previous film (which I will never watch again) helps one enjoy this one. It isn't "real" Star Wars, but it's enjoyable enough as an official fan film. :)
Like you I also have no desire to see Last Jedi again, in that regard Rise of Skywalker is marginally better because there was atleast some moments I liked in it.

OH! I gotta say, I loved the look of Threepio's plating in this one. It had more of a 24-karat coloring than it's ever had before.

ive been resisting posting and getting dragged into this, but, read the opening crawl and the first 15 or so minutes of EP9, and consider that EP8 vs what we got as EP8 in theaters. As I said long ago, the only way to salvage the damage EP8 did was to make EP9 and EP10 as the "4trilogy", and thats sort of what happened. I do hope in the very near future that JJ's original synopsis for the new trilogy is released. If memory serves its about 90 pages, a trilogy synopsis, with possible stand alone films in between, a plan, a vision, coherent...

Just went through the ROS art book. Like the TLJ artbook, it's pretty much 85% final design in concept art form. Disney/LFL is really holding out on us. Also, like the VD, there is ZIP about Palpatine.
Q6JtJOC.png

ive been resisting posting and getting dragged into this, but, read the opening crawl and the first 15 or so minutes of EP9, and consider that EP8...

Yeah, when folks who haven't seen the movie have asked me what it was like, I go ahead and tell them that about the first third of the movie, is just trying to lay the groundwork of what should have probably happened in 8. The rest of it is them trying to cram as much as they could out of the plot they wanted to do for 9, into a smaller span of time.

Last edited:
Yeah, when folks who haven't seen the movie have asked me what it was like, I go ahead and tell them that about the first third of the movie, is just trying to lay the groundwork of what should have probably happened in 8. The rest of it is them trying to cram as much as they could out of the plot they wanted to do for 9, into a smaller span of time.

ive been resisting posting and getting dragged into this, but, read the opening crawl and the first 15 or so minutes of EP9, and consider that EP8 vs what we got as EP8 in theaters. As I said long ago, the only way to salvage the damage EP8 did was to make EP9 and EP10 as the "4trilogy", and thats sort of what happened. I do hope in the very near future that JJ's original synopsis for the new trilogy is released. If memory serves its about 90 pages, a trilogy synopsis, with possible stand alone films in between, a plan, a vision, coherent...

I only wish there was a way to "Phantom Edit"/"Machete Order" this trilogy, but removing TLJ completely, or removing the parts that don't make sense, means removing 95% of Mark Hamill's time in this trilogy. I wonder, though...could the ending of Force Awakens be manipulated so that Luke is already gone when Rey gets there...we use the one scene from TLJ where Rey mentions Luke being gone...and then his first appearance is as a force ghost in TROS...? Somebody hold my beer...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back