Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker?

• Total voters
Just went through the ROS art book. Like the TLJ artbook, it's pretty much 85% final design in concept art form. Disney/LFL is really holding out on us. Also, like the VD, there is ZIP about Palpatine.
View attachment 1281451

Which is odd. I mean it was originally intended to release the day of the films release. And they didn't put some major spoilery in the previous two. But I thought with the delayed release they would have gone ahead and added that stuff in.

Stumbled across this on another forum while looking for some info about the disc release, and thought it was interesting. Not sure I agree with the interpretation entirely, but there it is. Some aspects were mentioned here previously, I’m sure. I suppose it adds an interesting wrinkle to the Palpatine line about “the power of two, restores the one,” also.

F06E2E11-761A-4EDF-866B-967D03A26842.jpeg

I did pick up a copy, but will probably wait to watch all 3 of the sequels back to back. I’m expecting the experience will be even more jarring that way, and will highlight the inconsistencies in tone and narrative throughout.

Hope you’re all staying well.

Which is odd. I mean it was originally intended to release the day of the films release. And they didn't put some major spoilery in the previous two. But I thought with the delayed release they would have gone ahead and added that stuff in.
That's what I was expecting, too, which was why I was so disappointed that it wasn't there.

I liked the film OK in the theatre. It helps if you don't think about it too much. But then I thought about it.
Well I didn't like TLJ to begin with, but putting it in light of the whole trilogy, JJ and Johnson were just trying to do what happens oh-so-much lately "We're going to flip everything on it's head because we want to" From what I have read of the novelization, it upended what we had THOUGHT we knew about the OT completely. Why? Because JJ and the rest wanted to do something "new". Which is fine, Matt Reeves VERY successfully restarted Planet of the Apes, but I cannot say the same with the sequel trilogy. At the end of the film (can we still call them films although they are all digital?) I thought to myself "Well why don't they just have Rey find the Infinity Gauntlet and The One Ring and make her all-powerful?" I mean some of her new force abilities just are too much.
I have spoken.

Stumbled across this on another forum while looking for some info about the disc release, and thought it was interesting. Not sure I agree with the interpretation entirely, but there it is. Some aspects were mentioned here previously, I’m sure. I suppose it adds an interesting wrinkle to the Palpatine line about “the power of two, restores the one,” also.

View attachment 1282156

I did pick up a copy, but will probably wait to watch all 3 of the sequels back to back. I’m expecting the experience will be even more jarring that way, and will highlight the inconsistencies in tone and narrative throughout.

Hope you’re all staying well.
Everyone is entitled to their interpretation, but there's tons of issues with this. What sort of Dark side did she have in TFA? She was angry at someone who murdered his own father and slit her friend's spine, yea, who wouldn't be? Luke's lesson was not that the Force doesn't belong to the dark or light, his lesson was that it doesn't belong to the Jedi exclusively. Also if none of the old Jedi or Sith remain then how did Luke and Leia just appear for her on Tatooine?
Again, each their own, but that is gross extrapolation and overexplanation of things. If that makes the owner of the post enjoy the movie more then by all means.

I didn’t go through 88 pages to see if this was already answered, but was there a reason given for the double Falcon during the ‘light skipping’ scenes?
970FD9B5-D480-44D5-AAEC-F9A21F678966.jpeg
08643145-27B4-49EE-868C-24D08ACA0C92.jpeg
6C2543DA-CD86-4BEA-B205-1BC26EAE2AB9.jpeg

I didn’t go through 88 pages to see if this was already answered, but was there a reason given for the double Falcon during the ‘light skipping’ scenes?

That quick scene was so confusing. I kept pausing it trying to make sense of where exactly the base line of the reflection is since it doesn't seem like all of the buildings are reflected. For added effect, I'm guessing its upside down.

Apparently it's based on the "Terrarium City" Ralph McQuarrie concept art for Alderaan.

Attachments

• EMmfbz_WoAETwki.jpeg
    EMmfbz_WoAETwki.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 94
Watched the blu ray last night. It's only my second viewing of the movie.
Really a shame Artoo is barely in it.
I like how Threepio chose to risk himself to help---I do not like how he wasn't really GIVEN that choice, and everyone just assumed it was going to happen--- oh, you're "volunteering"? That's nice, 'cause we were doing it anyway, but good for you. His overtures of friendship didn't seem to be sincerely returned. It doesn't help that this is a new batch of friends, and it would be more meaningful if he was saying goodbye to the OT gang.
It's probably already mentioned, but I saw the Ghost.
And did I see a WEG Carrack cruiser ship way off in the right rear when the "just people" fleet showed up?

Also, the robot with the human head in John Williams' bar looks really familiar, like from a Marvel comic or something. Anyone?

Anyone see a best up red star destroyer in that mix? I know it wouldn't fit with the timeline anymore, but it'd be fun to have it in there anyways. I wonder if there were many ships in that mix that don't "fit" anymore, But we're simply used as a nod.

Everyone is entitled to their interpretation, but there's tons of issues with this. What sort of Dark side did she have in TFA?

Back when TFA was released, having a little inside info, I pointed out how Rey becomes angry when Kylo Ren tries to get the info out of her head where she resists and instead she gleens inside his head to what he hides his weakness which is insecurities, as that mirrors her insecurities as she would never be anything where he wanted to be something. She seeks his weakness to exploit it which is a theme in the SW baddie universe.

Most importantly, when the two battle in the snow, its right there in everyones face when the red and blue glow from the lightsabers alternates. Her anger takes over in battle and something "unseen" is driving her. Again one of the let downs of EP8 is not utilizing the cues and visuals set forth in TFA.

Back when TFA was released, having a little inside info, I pointed out how Rey becomes angry when Kylo Ren tries to get the info out of her head where she resists and instead she gleens inside his head to what he hides his weakness which is insecurities, as that mirrors her insecurities as she would never be anything where he wanted to be something. She seeks his weakness to exploit it which is a theme in the SW baddie universe.

Most importantly, when the two battle in the snow, its right there in everyones face when the red and blue glow from the lightsabers alternates. Her anger takes over in battle and something "unseen" is driving her. Again one of the let downs of EP8 is not utilizing the cues and visuals set forth in TFA.

I don't think anyone involved was that sophisticated or knew the existing story well enough to pull that off.

To flip it a bit. If someone was trying to prod into your mind, you'd be angry too. It's not a weakness it's human (and for that matter probably universal) nature. Again, in the forest, you witness that guy kill Han and then slit your buddy through the spine and you're going to be exceeding mad. Once again, human nature, not character flaw or weakness. Maybe a full fledged jedi can kill their emotions in those scenarios (though i'm not entirely sure), but a someone off a backwater planet with zero training? Um, no.

Both instances are fight or flight instinct. Being a prisoner and having your head invaded, you do what you can to fight back and get out. In the course of fighting back, you find yourself in the other guys head, NO ONE says 'oops' this is bad i gotta leave. They say, what can i see here to help me get out of this. Forest is the same. You have a guy you know is a killer after you, you do what you gotta do to get out alive.

You could really spin things and say the 'let me go', 'drop your gun', and even 'these aren't the droids your looking for' and 'he can go about his business' are dark side commands as well as you're forcing someone to do something they don't want to do.

I don't think anyone involved was that sophisticated or knew the existing story well enough to pull that off.

To flip it a bit. If someone was trying to prod into your mind, you'd be angry too. It's not a weakness it's human (and for that matter probably universal) nature. Again, in the forest, you witness that guy kill Han and then slit your buddy through the spine and you're going to be exceeding mad. Once again, human nature, not character flaw or weakness. Maybe a full fledged jedi can kill their emotions in those scenarios (though i'm not entirely sure), but a someone off a backwater planet with zero training? Um, no.

Both instances are fight or flight instinct. Being a prisoner and having your head invaded, you do what you can to fight back and get out. In the course of fighting back, you find yourself in the other guys head, NO ONE says 'oops' this is bad i gotta leave. They say, what can i see here to help me get out of this. Forest is the same. You have a guy you know is a killer after you, you do what you gotta do to get out alive.

You could really spin things and say the 'let me go', 'drop your gun', and even 'these aren't the droids your looking for' and 'he can go about his business' are dark side commands as well as you're forcing someone to do something they don't want to do.
Rey's bio gallery says she's fueled by anger and raw power. Its said that since TFA came out. So I'd guess they were leaning that way. Rey Biography Gallery

I guess Luke wasn’t angry then that the Empire killed his aunt and uncle, or that Vader had killed his father, as Ben had told him. No, he was just looking for something to do now that he didn’t have to help his uncle with the moisture farming anymore.

Otherwise that would mean that actually Luke is a bad guy using the dark side all the time.

I guess Luke wasn’t angry then that the Empire killed his aunt and uncle, or that Vader had killed his father, as Ben had told him. No, he was just looking for something to do now that he didn’t have to help his uncle with the moisture farming anymore.

Otherwise that would mean that actually Luke is a bad guy using the dark side all the time.

I don't think that is the point they're trying to make with Rey. More that it wasn't the fact she felt angry, but that unlike Luke, Rey kept allowing that anger to dictate her actions. Whereas in your example Luke would be justified in his anger, but only really once in the OT did he let it lead to an action.

My point is, people are still trying to make Disney and Lucasfilm look like they’ve “planned it all out” and it “all makes sense”, but they didn’t. It’s a lie. It’s been proven time and time again, by interviews with those involved and by the films themselves, that they did not have a plan. Rey wasn’t “struggling with anger and the dark side because secretly, she’s a Palpatine and we’re going to reveal that later!” She struggles with anger and the dark side because those are human struggles and common themes of Star Wars. It was in the prior films because that’s what happens in movies. The protagonist has to discover themself and has to struggle with the inner conflict, the duality of human nature. Colin Trevorrow said he stepped down because 8 derailed his plans. Rian Johnson said in response to the negative feedback about 8 and him “derailing” the narrative that there were no finished plot lines. And many others. Leaked scripts, discussion with actors. Stop trying to convince anyone that these were planned movies, that Palpatine was always behind it and that Rey was always set in stone as the character she turned out to be. Kathleen Kennedy can talk all day about how “we always wanted Palpatine back”, but just bringing up his name in a writer’s room meeting in 2014 doesn’t mean they actually considered his involvement, let alone “planned on it”. I brought up Luke because ANH doesn’t hint at Vader always having been his father. Luke isn’t angry that his aunt and uncle are killed because he’s got that “Hayden Christensen” blood in him. The filmmakers used existing open space in the previous film to open up the universe and deepen the characters. The same did not happen in the ST.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back