Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

It was a direct quote from the film. All that is in question is was the Knights of Ren in the rain we saw in the flashback that slaughter. I do t think so, those bodies don't look like Padawans. Jason, it's in the film and very clear, I don't get how you missed this.

I guess I missed it too, because I don't remember anyone saying flat out that that wasn't the Jedi students having been slaughtered in the vision. We never saw Rey tell anyone what she saw in the vision.

I guess I missed it too, because I don't remember anyone saying flat out that that wasn't the Jedi students having been slaughtered in the vision. We never saw Rey tell anyone what she saw in the vision.

Nobody said anything one way or another about Rey's vision.

Isn't that the temple attack Sluis was referring to though?

Yes but he was saying before that Luke hadn't even founded an Academy. He did and it was destroyed its just not clear we saw it in the flashback. I don't think we did, that my opinion

Yes but he was saying before that Luke hadn't even founded an Academy. He did and it was destroyed its just not clear we saw it in the flashback. I don't think we did, that my opinion

Yeah I think what I was thinking of was that someone (Pablo Hidalgo?) said that the scene in the movie wasn't the Academy attack. BTW he also said something like "Let's not call it an academy." So I'm thinking it wasn't a formal institution yet, like a small class or something. If so it's not that impressive that the Knights of Ren or just Kylo killed them. That doesn't rule out that Luke hasn't fully trained ANY Jedi that are still around!

This means that I want to see the early version. History has show that when the studio forces changes this notable, things go awry.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

But were they imposed by the studio because it wasn't testing well?

Six months plus out I would be very surprised if the effects work was anywhere near completion. And who was it tested with?????? The speed at which it was done makes additional shooting no surprise at all, loads of films do this and if there is a problem with the script, given how quickly this story originated, its about this time pacing and plot issues would show up. A decent cut of the film would already be well in place by now so anything that needs to happen ,happens now. I'll happily sign a none disclosure and disappear from here for the next six months if I could see it early and give an opinion. Perhaps its a little too far away from "SW" as Disney might have liked it.

Six months plus out I would be very surprised if the effects work was anywhere near completion. And who was it tested with?????? The speed at which it was done makes additional shooting no surprise at all, loads of films do this and if there is a problem with the script, given how quickly this story originated, its about this time pacing and plot issues would show up. A decent cut of the film would already be well in place by now so anything that needs to happen ,happens now. I'll happily sign a none disclosure and disappear from here for the next six months if I could see it early and give an opinion. Perhaps its a little too far away from "SW" as Disney might have liked it.

There's a funny thing about things being "disney" or not.

Before disney, there was Star wars. It was always to an inclusive audience. Just like Harry Potter or Lord of the rings. Some times, there were darker tones, other times there were lighter ones (I'm not including the ewok adventures)

But I feel now that, although everything is canon, they have split of the target demographics. Rebels is definitely for Kids, while rogue one is for adults. The main franchise is for everyone.

Not that I think this news is a bad omen, but they do do test screenings before effects work is done all the time.

There's a funny thing about things being "disney" or not.

Before disney, there was Star wars. It was always to an inclusive audience. Just like Harry Potter or Lord of the rings. Some times, there were darker tones, other times there were lighter ones (I'm not including the ewok adventures)

But I feel now that, although everything is canon, they have split of the target demographics. Rebels is definitely for Kids, while rogue one is for adults. The main franchise is for everyone.

It may well be, given the huge BO take with TFA ,that Disney feels that a too violent and dark take on Star Wars would not now be right. Given its an Xmas release if Vader is there slaying people by cutting them bloodily in half or stormtroopers have limbs ripped off them then perhaps very graphic scenes need redoing.
I watched "Godzilla" again recently and its got real pacing issues and although its competently shot, its a fairly dull watch. I think they probably have had more ideas on how to "mould" the film to make it more successful since it was done with the snap of the fingers, and lets face it they already kicked one director off it already.TFA hit that careful balance with the whole SW audience perfectly so I think they are probably striving for that again, rather than something too "R" rated at this time of the year, given the expectations of a lot of newer (and younger ) star wars fans.

After the huger-than-huge phenomenon that TFA was, I sure hope the suits at Disney are not panicking because they think this one won't perform as well. I don't think any other SW franchise film will do as well, and to expect as much is fantasy. Of course, Disney has always second-guessed their directors and meddled in their films outcome, sometimes to great detriment. Disney directors have, traditionally, been there just to guide the cast; the rest is up to the corporate machine.

I HATE these friggin reshoot articles. This happens on almost, if not EVERY, flick.

You shoot for, say, 3 months... 30 days... whatever. You get back home, edit it all up, and before you're even ready to test it, you KNOW there are shots that didn't work... inserts needed... pickups... transitions that didn't work... a story element that worked on paper but didn't read... so you go and reshoot. This isn't a problem because a reshoot budget and schedule is usually already in the contract... even down to how much you can get away with.

You may also want to reshoot because you tested it and everyone loved the robot that only had one scene. So the suits tell you "get that robot in more scenes".

Sometimes movies test THROUGH THE ROOF and you STILL do reshoots cuz you watch the audience reaction vid from the screening and can tell "oh hey, everyone loved it, but look how bored everyone is during these 5 minutes... 4 people got up and went to the washroom... lets rewrite... and throw that robot in there to liven it up".

Sometimes they screen the flick to amazing test scores and say "holy crap that movie looks great... you know that scene you wanted to shoot but we said no? Well here's some more cash! Go get em!"

But yes, maybe it did suck and they are panicing, I don't know... I'm not there...

But hearing there are reshoots means NOTHING, cuz every movie has them.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back