Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

I still say it's just how that is shot, if you'd screencap every still that Chewie is in in the OT you'd see stuff like that too. joonas1-large.jpg

Last edited:

Because it was an upgraded bowcaster with new quarrels ammunition. That's what Pablo Hidalgo said.
If you have to explain the joke........

Besides the only reason for the joke was to hit us over the head that it has more impact than a regular blaster.

Because later in the film it becomes a very pivotal weapon. Very heavy handed writing

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

If you have to explain the joke........

Besides the only reason for the joke was to hit us over the head that it has more impact than a regular blaster.

Because later in the film it becomes a very pivotal weapon. Very heavy handed writing

It wasn't pivotal, it was a joke which beget a second joke.

It wasn't pivotal, it was a joke which beget a second joke.
I'm referring to the shot taken by Kylo ren after han is killed.

The bow caster joke was there to set us up for kylo's injury

I'm referring to the shot taken by Kylo ren after han is killed.

The bow caster joke was there to set us up for kylo's injury

Oh, well then it doesn't make sense as the bow caster was super powerful but only managed to wound Kylo. I don't think Han's surprise with using the weapon was intended to set that up, it was just for the "I like this" line. Chewie could have shot Kylo with anything as the result was only an injury, it was just important that Chewie take the shot in rage.

Totally believe all the attention to the bowcaster was to show Kylo's strength. My boy took that blast like a champ, and then beat on it like a psychopath to get all psyched up (and probably not pass out).

Stormtroopers go flying. Kylo just goes down on one knee...

I wish Han had said something like - I like the upgrade.

Seems odd Han after all these years wouldn't know the Bowcaster packs a punch.

That's totally it. Like most things in the movie, the idea was good, but the language was clumsy.

I tried to steer the TFA-related discussion back over to the TFA thread, but... *shrug*

I also never had a problem with that being the first time he'd fired Chewie's bowcaster. I have a deeply ingrained weapons etiquette thing where "you don't touch another man's piece" unless invited/offered. I can easily see Han spending decades with Chewie and not even being aware of a subconscious tic where he's got his blaster that he's tweaked just so to make it perfect for him (never mind all the different props we see throughout the films) and he prefers it and Chewie has his and it's his and he doesn't mess with it. He's just gotten to the cantankerous-old-fart point where he just doesn't give a flying whatever anymore and does what pops into his head, even if he never did it before then.

--Jonah

That was one of my very minor complaints. I would have thought Han, being a gun connoisseur (I assume), would have asked to fire it. An upgrade makes sense because in ROTJ it was firing what looked like regular blaster bolts.

Maybe Han was unaware of the nature of the "upgrade" to Chewie's piece. When he saw what the new iteration could do, he was all over it!

Maybe Han was unaware of the nature of the "upgrade" to Chewie's piece. When he saw what the new iteration could do, he was all over it!
He was holding his own blaster when he asked to borrow chewie's.

There was nothing to indicate that it had been upgraded. (Other than a subsequent interview)

It was a contrived joke.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back