Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

Yeah, while the CG Yoda was far from perfect, it was a good sight better than TPM Yoda puppet at least. That thing was just laughably horrible and one has to wonder just how it got the stamp of approval. Yoda was famously cross-eyed in ROTJ but at least his screen time was pretty limited and it's not as noticeable as it could've been. Considering he was dying and fading fast, it almost kinda works.

Yeah, CG Yoda was definitely an improvement
star-wars-phantom-menace-yoda-puppet-cgi-comparison-slice.jpg

Chewbacca-TFA.jpgI know Joonas has the same color eyes as Peter, that was one of the requirements when they put out the position for a "7 foot guy with blue eyes." (Yes blue tinted contacts would work, but contacts are one more thing you'd have to worry about in that hot suit.) I really don't think they made the eyes any smaller because I think Peter would have mentioned it if he noticed. He was in the cockpit sitting scenes at least.

Not really. His hairstyle changed a bit in ROTJ but that was the most notable thing. I sometimes wonder if they intentionally made the eye slits so small to hide the fact a different actor is portraying him most of the time but that seems pretty unlikely. The average Joe Blow is not gonna notice it's not Mayhew, certainly not based on eyes alone.

Last edited:

I'm assuming this will be a Force ghost Yoda. He's going to say "Seriously? One job you had. Only one Jedi trained have you. Now consumed by the Dark Side he is!" :lol

View attachment 619001I know Joonas has the same color eyes as Peter, that was one of the requirements when they put out the position for a "7 foot guy with blue eyes." (Yes blue tinted contacts would work, but contacts are one more thing you'd have to worry about in that hot suit.) I really don't think they made the eyes any smaller because I think Peter would have mentioned it if he noticed. He was in the cockpit sitting scenes at least.

Yeah, I doubt the different actors would be a factor. It seems to be noticeable more in some shots than others. I know I've seen pics of (one of?) the mask(s) in an unfinished state and the eye holes are quite round and open, but other pics seem to show them almond shaped almost to the point it looks like he's squinting. Maybe I'm imagining it but regardless it's a minor detail since they did such a good job with him overall. He looks great in the pic.

Last edited:

Wolfsburg, go watch the originals again, you can't even see his eyes in most shots there either. They usually have to be pretty close up.

Well they've always been deepset and sometimes shadowed depending on lighting but the shape of the eyes themselves seems different in some shots in TFA. Maybe there were multiple masks. Maybe it's my imagination. I dunno...

For those that don't know - the eyes you see are the actor's eyes. Because they have the mask eyeholes larger so the actor can put some expression into the eyes. The actor has black/dark brown make-up around his eyes to blend into the surrounding mask. If Chewie's eyes look different sizes in different shots, it's because it is a different actor in each shot. I know for sure they shot all the "Chewie in the Cockpit" shots over a couple of days, plus they used Peter in the shot where he is injured and lying down. The walking around shots are not Peter, and haven't been for a long, long time. I saw Peter at ComicCon (I think) a number of years ago, and he had to be wheeled in and helped into a chair at that time to do signings.

Brightened & mid tones boosted

"Keep your eyes open,...huh?"
View attachment 619226

J

Yeah compare that shot to a shot of TFA Chewie when he and Han first board the Falcon. The small eye holes are particularly noticeable to me in that sequence. From what I'm seeing, you def don't see as much painted skin around the actor's eyes which make them look particularly sunken. Maybe it has more to do to how the fur was applied. Regardless, it was just an observation I think I was seeing. It's not a big deal.

chewbacca-harrison-ford-the-force-awakens1.jpg

It's a different mask,....a different actor at times & Peter's eyes have aged also

I'm perfectly happy with the new actor,...he's learned from the best

I'm also glad that they've returned to the original Freeborn sculpt......& Chewie doesnt look like this:

526_chewie-revenge.jpg

J

I had no problem with chewie in this flick....except for the bow caster joke.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

It's a different mask,....a different actor at times & Peter's eyes have aged also

I'm perfectly happy with the new actor,...he's learned from the best

I'm also glad that they've returned to the original Freeborn sculpt......& Chewie doesnt look like this:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/d19kay3cfix...08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/2/526_chewie-revenge.jpg

J

That's for sure! "Sad Chewie" I think some called him. To be clear, I think the ST Chewie looks great overall. I was so afraid we'd get a repeat of that awful ROTS version and thankfully we didn't.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back