Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
:lol When it comes to Alec you better believe it! :lol

ANH was a cute movie but it aint no Citizen Kane or Lawrence Of Arabia

I watched a bunch of Hamill interviews last night, and in one of them with Peter Travers he told the story of getting lunch with Sir Alec some years after the movie, and he finally asked him what got him interested in Star Wars in the first place. Guinness replied, "well, I always wanted to portray a wizard in a children's film."

OK...

The fan bashing of this film is really reaching ridiculous levels of histrionics now...

Here's an example...

This guy wishes cancer upon the makers of the film due to the "pain and angst they put [him] through..." in watching the film:

https://youtu.be/r9C7Grxk4bU

This IS just a movie, right? People really aren't losing their grip on reality in viewing this film, are they?

Yeah sorta makes me ashamed to be a Star Wars fan these days. There's so many little whiny bitches in the fandom.

Ben

That's not why I "slammed" you for using YouTube. And the reason I shared the YouTube video in response is because you're the the one who wants to shine a highlight on it. You don't get to cherry pick the reviews that agree with your point of view to make the point about "the internet" not liking the movie.

As far as Hamill/Rian.....honestly not sure what you asking here. What is it that you claim I'm arguing about your position? You're quoting question I asked you of your argument, not a declarative statement.

Show me how I have cherry picked reviews to match my opinion, then show me where where I have insisted that Mark Hamill is unhappy with Rian Johnson. Still waiting.

To speed things up, this all started at post number 960

Last edited:
Look at the speed of Star Destroyers in ANH or ESB. Literally chasing the Falcon in sublight speeds and keeping it on the run. So yeah, this slow speed chase in TLJ is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that the Supremacy has tractor beams, ion cannons and probably 100 squadrons of TIE fighters.

Look at the speed of Star Destroyers in ANH or ESB. Literally chasing the Falcon in sublight speeds and keeping it on the run. So yeah, this slow speed chase in TLJ is absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention the fact that the Supremacy has tractor beams, ion cannons and probably 100 squadrons of TIE fighters.

Yeah, this was a point brought up in this critical take from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ovies-like-star-wars-the-last-jedi-on-a-curve

Show me how I have cherry picked reviews to match my opinion, then show me where where I have insisted that Mark Hamill is unhappy with Rian Johnson. Still waiting.
Look, if my opinions/writing style/whatever bother you so much, feel free to put me on ignore. I don't know what this argument is about. I'd suggest to you to "go back and read what you are commenting on please."

You have insisted that Hamill doesn't like the portrayal of Luke in TLJ. You then alleged that I was trying to "make [it] a Mark Vs Rian situation."

Is it not a Mark vs Rian situation? Did they not have conflicting ideas for the character?

I asked you straight up what significance you want me to take from the video and all you can muster is an emoji. If you can't be bothered to make an actual argument, don't blame me for asking you questions to clarify. And don't then double down on the ridiculousness and interpret sentences that end in question marks as declarative statements.

Look, if my opinions/writing style/whatever bother you so much, feel free to put me on ignore. I don't know what this argument is about. I'd suggest to you to "go back and read what you are commenting on please."

You have insisted that Hamill doesn't like the portrayal of Luke in TLJ. You then alleged that I was trying to "make [it] a Mark Vs Rian situation."

Is it not a Mark vs Rian situation? Did they not have conflicting ideas for the character?

I asked you straight up what significance you want me to take from the video and all you can muster is an emoji. If you can't be bothered to make an actual argument, don't blame me for asking you questions to clarify. And don't then double down on the ridiculousness and interpret sentences that end in question marks as declarative statements.

So you cant provide examples of the things I am supposed to have done and continue still to do so, wow

So you cant provide examples of the things I am supposed to have done and continue still to do so, wow

Yah, I mean, I'd rather discuss the movie than indulge your grievances with me. Which is why I say things like "I'll cede the point to you."

If you're really that hung up on "cherry picked," let me pull a Hamill and say that was "inartfully stated." I disagree with the importance to which you assign YouTube videos. Not only because of the fact that many 'content creators' have a vested interest in creating clickbait videos, but also because it's really impossible to gauge what "youtube" thinks in any meaningful way. We have no easy way to sample what percentage of YouTube reviews were positive or negative. And even if we could gauge what those percentages were, the YouTube population itself is not representative of the population at large, that's just not how statistics works. YouTube is just anecdotal evidence. So when you say it's not just angry loud people, and then point to youtube....well, yeah, that rings hollow.

Yah, I mean, I'd rather discuss the movie than indulge your grievances with me. Which is why I say things like "I'll cede the point to you."

If you're really that hung up on "cherry picked," let me pull a Hamill and say that was "inartfully stated." I disagree with the importance to which you assign YouTube videos. Not only because of the fact that many 'content creators' have a vested interest in creating clickbait videos, but also because it's really impossible to gauge what "youtube" thinks in any meaningful way. We have no easy way to sample what percentage of YouTube reviews were positive or negative. And even if we could gauge what those percentages were, the YouTube population itself is not representative of the population at large, that's just not how statistics works. YouTube is just anecdotal evidence. So when you say it's not just angry loud people, and then point to youtube....well, yeah, that rings hollow.

I will ask for a third and final time, can you show me where I have insisted anything?

If you removed three things from the beginning of the film, that terrible "phonecall" to Hux by Poe, the stupidly dumb appearance of Finn staggering onto the flight deck leaking water everywhere and Luke tossing the lightsabre you'd probably have killed alot of the critisisms or moderated it for the rest of it.

But what Rian managed to cause by including them was a " cascade" effect of dislikes that has provoked a fair portion of the fandom. To have set that tone so quickly was a mistake and many things after that just increased the irritation. It stretched the ability of some to accept the film as a credible SW story and pulled them out of it.

I thought the intially set up with the Star destroyers was terrific , it looked fantastic and when the dreadnaught appeared it blew my socks off. I actually felt my heart rate go up.

And then one X wing ,Poe, who managed to shoot down ten TIES in ten seconds in TFA, appears and his single tactic, to go into single combat against the entire First Order fleet, is to make a phonecall?

I was staggered. My immediate thought was just how stupid do you think your audience and me is going to be to accept this?

If it had been Poes squadron plus several A wings (which we barely saw in the end!!) in a desparate attack as we saw in Rogue One I'd have been cheering this . Instead I was left slightly bemused and annoyed and it hugely lessened the impact and sacrifice of the bombing run had afterward.

Then next, when we should have been feeling the cost of the impact that decision had on Poe , we have Finns reintroduction. The guy who was left virtually for dead at the end of TFA , slashed in the back by Kylo.

Unlike most people waking from a severe injury he leaps immediately into conciousness , bumps his head, "comically" falls out of bed then staggers semi naked (except for a plastic bag costume leaking water everywhere) out into Poes arms. It was a terribly cheap comic reintroduction of a character and made all that Finn had gone through in TFA a poor throwaway. And that pulled me out of the movie again.

And then we have that hugely significant moment , when Rey, probably the most important character to carry the story (and franchise) forward meets Luke. And it, like the lightsaber, was just tossed away.

My immediate reaction was "What?????". Not laughter. Not even anger. I was actually left utterly bemused by the choice and I thought "Well that was rude and more than a little disrespectful" .

It simply felt like the director had indulged himself and his ego, rather like a child, by drawing attention to what he had deliberately chosen to do, rather than invest in what in truth the real character would have done. And that didn't just nudge me out of the movie a bit, it threw me way out of it.

And everything after that, all the faults, both the great and small continued to antagonise me and kept trying my patience. Much like "The Phantom Menace" ,those three early foul balls made it significantly harder to like alot of the actually great stuff after it. And then the Leia scene just capped it off.
By the end of it I just sighed and thought "Good grief, what kind of a mess will Han Solo be like for them to reshoot that, if this is what gets a huge pass from Lucasfilm and Disney" . And that it didn't really bother me because there are now a significant number of other films and TV series that I actually preffer to the Star Wars series was a bit of a sobering and sad moment. " The Last Jedi" simply "forced" me to acknowledge that fact.

Last edited:
And then we have that hugely significant moment , when Rey, probably the most important character to carry the story (and franchise) forward meets Luke. And it like the lightsaber, was just tossed away.
My immediate reaction was "What?????". Not laughter. Not even anger. I was actually left utterly bemused by the choice and I felt "Well that was rude and a little disrespectful" .

I was absolutely stunned at that moment and it totally effected the way the rest of the film panned out for me. Absolutely terrible when you think about the history of that specific item in the OT universe and what took place in TFA.

The other thing I just thought of is unlike the Marvel movies which feel interconnected....the sequel Star Wars films now feel completely made up as we go along....(I know Ole Geordie was a bit like that)....but with TFA's genuine familiar SW tone & TLJ's lets rip everything up & twist & turn every time you think you know what is happening,...the two films together don't work......they are opposites of each other

& as i said in a previous post,....because I don't like TLJ,...what happens in it has tainted TFA,....& in turn I'm not invested in the sequels

Every time I see Star Wars merchandise now with Rey, Poe, Finn & Ken, I roll my eyes.....damn sequels

J

I agree. I'm surprised by my reaction to this . I doubt I'll bother to buy the Bluray at release because I'm no longer interested in the story or rewatching it, and thats a first, as I was really keen to speculate and look for information after the two previous films.
I've not bothered ordering any novelization connected to this , or with the "Art of TLJ "book, nor with the DK Illustrated guide because unlike TFA or R1, there wasn't enough left in the film to warrant wanting to explore it any further. The urge (rather like Luke at the end ) has simply vanished.
I doubt theres anything from Anovos I want badly enough to rate investing in that kind of outlay for a prop, nor anything in Sideshow. When I've looked at the props and models there is barely a single thing I want to add, with the exception of the Ralph McQuarrie A wing. If I felt my collecting urge was coming to an end this seems to have closed it off entirely and I'm not really sure how I feel about that. Disappointed I guess.
It wasn't a really bad movie. Not in comparison to some of the horrors I've seen over the decades.
It just felt like the wrong film.

Last edited:
It's like everything they set out to do with TFA,...(ensure that everyone knows that Star Wars is in safe hands.....give them a film that moves away from the less popular Prequels.....it worked....what JJ did hit the target,...yes there were faults....but the effort they went to to ensure that Star Wars was going in the right direction.....like a train,....everyone is on board,...we might pass through a few familiar stations or scenery, but we are going on a trip into the unknown after this film.....RJ crashes the train.....then gets you going again & crashes.....repeatedly)......was completely undone by RJ,...instead of getting EVERYONE on board he polarises the audience,,....back to the way the Prequels did....which was not a good period for the franchise

J

It's like everything they set out to do with TFA,...(ensure that everyone knows that Star Wars is in safe hands.....give them a film that moves away from the less popular Prequels.....it worked....what JJ did hit the target,...yes there were faults....but the effort they went to to ensure that Star Wars was going in the right direction.....like a train,....everyone is on board,...we might pass through a few familiar stations or scenery, but we are going on a trip into the unknown after this film.....RJ crashes the train.....then gets you going again & crashes.....repeatedly)......was completely undone by RJ,...instead of getting EVERYONE on board he polarises the audience,,....back to the way the Prequels did....which was not a good period for the franchise

J

I’m sure this is what is causing the majority of my dislike for the film. Cringeworthy moments aside, this film seemed to do so little with so much.

What’s the problem with the chase?
It wasn’t really “slow speed” but only seemed that way because they were so far apart and the vessels were so large, no?
Remember the opening sequence to ANH? In the second shot with both ships coming towards the camera blockade runner/ counselor ship was clearly booking it while the huge star destroyer looked like it was moving at a glacial pace simply because of the size.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back