Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
award ceremonies are doing SO WELL lately! Check their ratings!

Totally in touch with the everyman! Armed security to keep the peons out, thousands of dollars in shwag bags.

For those who need to be told what is good or not, here's your endorsement!

For those who actually know what is good or not, and dislike elitist crap bleeding into their entertainment, here's your endorsement. ;)

Did he win for the first, second or third rewrite? I wonder if they will actually publish it now that it's won an award. Disney already cancelled The Making Of book for TFA and TLJ was never going to have one. They don't want JW Rinzler anywhere near the production of this nightmare.

Star-Wars-Last-Jedi-Comic-Luke-Rey-Fight-Retcon.jpg

And the retcons keep rolling in. So now Luke merely slipped on a wet stone instead of recoiling from Rey winding up a lit lightsaber to strike him. It has to be said, if the movie is so damn good, why are they addressing specific fan complaints with retcons in the books and comic? I thought it was just a "small vocal minority" who didn't like it, so why cater to them in that case?

View attachment 827952

And the retcons keep rolling in. So now Luke merely slipped on a wet stone instead of recoiling from Rey winding up a lit lightsaber to strike him. It has to be said, if the movie is so damn good, why are they addressing specific fan complaints with retcons in the books and comic? I thought it was just a "small vocal minority" who didn't like it, so why cater to them in that case?

Or it was just the artists choice. I've never even heard the complaint before. You guys are reaching.

The whole point of doing these comics is to bring something more, a little POV from a different artist on the same material.

And of course to squeeze more money from a stone.

But that's why the studios fund movies and comics. The money.

You guys need to separate the creative from the money.

Like the creators, writers, directors... they want to make an entertaining movie... tell a story. But they need money. So they go to the suits. They give money, but only care about getting that money and more back.

What's the point of stating the obvious?

This comic is the suits wanting their investment back... but the guys tasked with it still want to put their own thing on the comic - I mean they get to do the STAR WARS COMIC! (actually a big deal)... so the artist or writer thought "hey, I want Luke to slip. It's raining... it's wet. There. I had my part in writing Star Wars history."

Nope it's definitely Disney ret-conning a movie they can't admit is awful....:facepalm

I've never even heard the complaint before. You guys are reaching.

Then you haven't been paying attention. Have you read the novelization? There's a list of things it retcons, from deleting Finn calling hyperspace tracking "Impossible" when he later leads them to the tracker(this is done in the book and comic), to giving Ackbar final last words(comic), retconning the Holdo maneuver so that it was a one in a trillion interaction between the Raddus' shields and the Supremacy that caused the explosion(to prevent this from breaking space combat in SW forever), to explaining why 30 hours are passing without fighters being launched, to why Luke is wearing his Jedi robes at the start of the film when Rian immediately has him change to his hobo potato sack.

You think the Story Group is not aware of putting "Slip" on that panel? It fundamentally changes what happens in that scene. Watch it again, Rey rears up to hit Luke with a saber and he shields himself and falls back in fear. He doesn't slip on a rock. It's a small change but it's addressing criticism of TLJ, just like all the other changes did.

TLJ conspiracy theorists are going to be right up there with flat-Earthers and moon landing conspiracy theorists on the scale of the most ridiculous and most willing to believe any silly theory as long as it fits their narrative.

When Finn's first reaction to hyperspace tracking is to call it impossible, and then to go on to say he's mopped the room that holds the hyperspace tracker, that's a plot hole. For Lucasfilm to fix this by changing Finn's specific dialogue here in not one but two adaptations after the fact, acknowledges it as a plot hole. Not sure how it's a conspiracy to be paying attention to the changes they are making... unless you think two authors are patching the same plot hole by random coincidence.

When Finn's first reaction to hyperspace tracking is to call it impossible, and then to go on to say he's mopped the room that holds the hyperspace tracker, that's a plot hole.

Actually, that’s not what he says at all. He states that, if there is a tracker, it is a “class A process” controlled from the bridge. However, the characters note that all class A processes have a dedicated power breaker. Therefore, the only way to shut it down other than from the bridge is to find the dedicated power breaker that controls the process.

“Who knows where the BREAKER room is on a star destroyer?” Finn’s response: “I’m the guy who used to mop it..”

No plot hole.

M

Who knows where the breaker
room is on the Star Destroyer?
I'm the guy who used to mop it.
If I can get us there
I can shut their tracker down.

TLJ conspiracy theorists are going to be right up there with flat-Earthers and moon landing conspiracy theorists on the scale of the most ridiculous and most willing to believe any silly theory as long as it fits their narrative.

No.
The evidence that TLJ is a crapfest is right there on film. Much like evidence for global earth is right there, its the flat earthers looking to subvert facts to fit their narrative. Much like TLJ apologists spinning the movie to try and have it make sense and convince themselves that its good. These extra "conspiracy theories" are just an extra layer of crapness to be considered, like a further nuance of physics thrown at a flat earther to show them the earth is round.

“Who knows where the BREAKER room is on a star destroyer?” Finn’s response: “I’m the guy who used to mop it..”

No plot hole.
You're right, it starts out to be a mission to the breaker room, but it changes by the time they arrive to be the actual tracker, not the breaker. And Finn is the one who knows where that tracker is located:

finn tracker.jpg

So yeah, it is a plot hole because Finn knows where the hyperspace tracker is when he said hyperspace tracking was impossible.

At 00:27:45
Leia: "They've tracked us through lightspeed."
Finn: "That's impossible."

Oh, I wasn't disputing the "impossible" part of the quote - rather the "I used to mop the tracker room/I know where the tracker room is" part.

You're right, it starts out to be a mission to the breaker room, but it changes by the time they arrive to be the actual tracker, not the breaker. And Finn is the one who knows where that tracker is located:

View attachment 828014

So yeah, it is a plot hole because Finn knows where the hyperspace tracker is when he said hyperspace tracking was impossible.

That's a good catch, and I agree that it is a glitch. I suspect it was a sloppy line-reading on-set ("tracker" rather than "breaker", since their stated mission was to reach the breaker) - but, whether in the script or an on-set flub, it should've been corrected to match the earlier, more detailed dialogue.

M

I suspect it was a sloppy line-reading on-set ("tracker" rather than "breaker", since their stated mission was to reach the breaker) - but, whether in the script or an on-set flub, it should've been corrected to match the earlier, more detailed dialogue.

The issue is that the book and comic both cut Finn saying it's impossible, but keep Finn describing the tracker room by name. The book was released two months after the movie. I don't think it's a stretch to say that they did this on purpose, especially when there are other retcons along the same lines. If Finn doesn't call it impossible, there's not an issue, beyond the continuity issue of shutting the breaker down becoming shutting the tracker down.

The issue is that the book and comic both cut Finn saying it's impossible, but keep Finn describing the tracker room by name. The book was released two months after the movie. I don't think it's a stretch to say that they did this on purpose, especially when there are other retcons along the same lines. If Finn doesn't call it impossible, there's not an issue, beyond the continuity issue of shutting the breaker down becoming shutting the tracker down.

OK, I’ll just be honest and admit I am not getting what your issue is here. At the beginning of the movie, all of them believe that tracking is impossible - but they admit that that is exactly what is happening to them. Therefore it is apparently new tech, and Class A. Finn surmises that it must operate like all other similar Class A tech and have a main breaker somewhere, and states that he can lead them to the location of the breaker. Just because he later uses the word tracker (and, as you point out, he appears to refer to the location of the tracker* once he’s on the ship) – how is that affected at all by the fact that he initially thought tracking was impossible?

What about in ANH? Everyone in the Falcon refused to believe that the Death Star was anything other than a moon - even after seeing it with their own eyes - because it was supposedly impossible for a battle station to be that big. (Same, BTW, for the destruction of Alderaan - the characters called it impossible.). So, when they start referring to locations on board the Death Star, and ultimately lead an attack mission against it – is there a plothole just because they once stated that the mere existence of it was impossible? No, because, however impossible they may have initially considered it, they had proof that it was not impossible, and the story moved on from there.

* (Heck, I’m not even sure that the distinction between the breake and the tracker is even a real glitch after all - the script only says that the tracker is controlled from the bridge, not located there ( if I mistakenly use the word located in an earlier post, that’s my bad) and it could be shut down by turning off the main breaker. I don’t think there’s anything in the script that stated that the breaker and the tracker were not in the same location – only that the only two ways to turn off the tracker were via the controls on the bridge or at the breaker. It may very well be that the breaker and the technology it controlled were customarily close together – making “breaker” and “tracker” interchangeable as a reference to the location for someone knowledgeable about how the breaker system worked on board these ships.)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back