Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Did you happen to ask your 13 yr old, how R2 got the map? Or is it.."he just woke up and had it, from just being R2". Theories, come a dime a dozen. Facts only come once.
The conversation went something like this:

"... remember in The Force Awakens when Artoo and BB-8 put together the map to find Luke? Where did Artoo get the map from?"

"Artoo had the big map of the galaxy, BB-8 had the important part."

"Okay, where did Artoo get his map from?"

"He just had a map of the galaxy that worked with the BB-8 map. The BB-8 part was the missing piece."

He then became a typical teenager, shrugged and walked away. Kids.

The conversation went something like this:

"... remember in The Force Awakens when Artoo and BB-8 put together the map to find Luke? Where did Artoo get the map from?"

"Artoo had the big map of the galaxy, BB-8 had the important part."

"Okay, where did Artoo get his map from?"

"He just had a map of the galaxy that worked with the BB-8 map. The BB-8 part was the missing piece."

He then became a typical teenager, shrugged and walked away. Kids.

Soooo.. he "just had it".. ok, cant argue with that.

Like I said... ditched..

Right, but it was the "floating in space" part of your comment that I don't get. Nothing we've seen or been told suggests that Luke took R2 with him to the temple and then just jettisoned him off somewhere.

And how the entire Resistance has 90%, but not the last 10% that R2 has.

To be clear, the Resistance AND the First Order had the majority of the map. And the Resistance only had it because it was given to Poe at the beginning of The Force Awakens (and hidden in BB-8) -- In other words, the Resistance stole it from Imperial records in possession of the First Order.

My take on this is that the final final section of the map was expunged from the records during the fall of the Jedi. Or maybe this entire thing was wiped but this is what was recovered from the data. Regardless, it was the missing 10% that Luke researched and discovered.

I think, the fact that, R2 has the last part of a map to The Last Jedi Temple, tells a story, and could have brought out a completely compelling story, just like the Graflex. The whole R2 shut down part, was confusing.

Sure, there are stories there. Star Wars is literally filled with the implication that a lot of things are happening in the background or have happened in the past. The thing is, those stories don't serve the main narrative of the films we are watching.

Yeah, somethings....not ALL.. but some of the scenes, need a "line or 2" to at least catch up the viewer. Because not all of us go home and read the EU after the MOVIE!!

.........and not all of us read interviews and Twitter post where the writer/director has to explain his own mindset on major key plot points that don't work in the established SW universe he knows little about.

Right, but it was the "floating in space" part of your comment that I don't get. Nothing we've seen or been told suggests that Luke took R2 with him to the temple and then just jettisoned him off somewhere.

Hell Leia did it...why not R2??..lol

Seriously though...

Ok, I admit, I might have been alittle exaggerating on that, but thats kind of how I saw it.. Jettison R2 out of the Xwing, then sink the ship.

To be clear, the Resistance AND the First Order had the majority of the map. And the Resistance only had it because it was given to Poe at the beginning of The Force Awakens (and hidden in BB-8) -- In other words, the Resistance stole it from Imperial records in possession of the First Order.

My take on this is that the final final section of the map was expunged from the records during the fall of the Jedi. Or maybe this entire thing was wiped but this is what was recovered from the data. Regardless, it was the missing 10% that Luke researched and discovered.

Sure, there are stories there. Star Wars is literally filled with the implication that a lot of things are happening in the background or have happened in the past. The thing is, those stories don't serve the main narrative of the films we are watching.

Kind of reminded me of the Kamino (erased) situation. Just so happened that part of the map was hidden in a droid, who is sleeping over depression, has it. Ok, if this is what was given, I guess I have have no choice to accept.

I do know this, the 8-16 year old crowd, that they are trying to capture, does not read the EU or any type of novelization, So Disney better just be wise and give it to them straight.

.........and not all of us read interviews and Twitter post where the writer/director has to explain his own mindset on major key plot points that don't work in the established SW universe he knows little about.

I've read very little about Rian Johnson explaining his own mindset about the major key plot points, but I personally had little issue understanding the stuff in the movie that allegedly doesn't work in the established SW universe. But that's just me, I guess. :rolleyes

Well, I've got Google Maps at my fingertips... no one asks me where I got it.

From Google...duhhhh... and would you like for me to tell you where Google got it from? Because I can.. :$

And Google maps is not a movie...and if it was... hell yeah!!.. tell me where you got it...:confused

I've read very little about Rian Johnson explaining his own mindset about the major key plot points, but I personally had little issue understanding the stuff in the movie that allegedly doesn't work in the established SW universe. But that's just me, I guess. :rolleyes

Ill say this, I agree, the movie itself is not a problem... Very entertaining.

However, the movie as a puzzle piece, to the whole SW saga, seem obscure. Im trying to find where that piece fits.

Because, if it doesnt fit, then it needs to be its own puzzle.

Ill say this, I agree, the movie itself is not a problem... Very entertaining.

However, the movie as a puzzle piece, to the whole SW saga, seem obscure. Im trying to find where that piece fits.

Because, if it doesnt fit, then it needs to be its own puzzle.

I can understand and agree with that assessment. The movie is definitely a lot to unpack as a whole, which is why I personally turned to supplemental materials in the effort to fill in any gaps that I felt were present (not many for myself), which I've been pretty successful in doing so far.

Really, the map and where it came from is unimportant. It was just the thing that everyone needed to find Luke -- it was the MacGuffin.

Everything in MY Star Wars world is important!!

Hell, I guess if GL didnt tell us how they knew,why, where Han was in ROTJ, it was just not important... They just knew..and thats all that matters

Everything in MY Star Wars world is important!!

Well, unimportant without qualification was maybe the wrong way to put it. Clearly a lot of details are important to Star Wars fans (myself included), or we wouldn't have had countless novels, visual dictionaries, etc.

I'm just saying that the details and history of the map wasn't intended to be important to the story TFA was trying to tell.

Well, unimportant without qualification was maybe the wrong way to put it. Clearly a lot of details are important to Star Wars fans (myself included), or we wouldn't have had countless novels, visual dictionaries, etc.

I'm just saying that the details and history of the map wasn't intended to be important to the story TFA was trying to tell.

I do have to say,

They sure do make big deals about stuff that they want unimportant!! ......Maybe Im taking this "show" too literal.

Im trying to find ways to say, ok I enjoy this.

But every question has been answered by.

"oh, that just happens now"

"just ignore that, its not important"

"you will find your answers in a book"

"thats not the main point"

"trying to move forward, let the past go"

I love SW, it has been a part of myself and my (now grown) kids.. and im trying...thats why Im here. To seek out non-youtube BS and "down to Earth" fans, but some of this is really "grasping at straws".

Im not giving up!

Im trying to find ways to say, ok I enjoy this.

But every question has been answered by.

"oh, that just happens now"

"just ignore that, its not important"

"you will find your answers in a book"

"thats not the main point"

"trying to move forward, let the past go"

I love SW, it has been a part of myself and my (now grown) kids.. and im trying...thats why Im here. To seek out non-youtube BS and "down to Earth" fans, but some of this is really "grasping at straws".

Im not giving up!

Never give up DarthLee.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back