Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Why did Yoda wait so long to counsel Luke?

The way it was shown in the movie was like it was the first time since all his troubles. Came across to me like a really weak plot advancer.

The way it was shown in the movie was like it was the first time since all his troubles. Came across to me like a really weak plot advancer.

I'm thinking that Yoda probably did try to talk to Luke in some way, but Luke wasn't hearing any of it from anyone, especially after what happened with Ben. Luke was probably in a funk about everything: basically his entire livelihood and purpose in life was gone in an instant because he made a stupid mistake. It was basically Luke being in a slump and depression about everything that transpired.

Last edited:
I just considered R2 shutting down as his version of Droid depression. He was miffed Luke didn't take him with him to Ach-To, after all they've been through. As far as we know R2 has never had his memory wiped, allowing the astromech's AI to develop a personality of its own. I assumed that the news that the rest of the map had been recovered was enough to wake R2 up out of his funk and let him be R2 again.

Your not serious.. right? Cause actually made me giggle... Your sarcasm needs an emoji:lol

Exactly, it's irrelevant which makes " Silly like Rose saving Finn in the name of love?" a red herring....that's what they are, irrelevant to this particular discussion.

Because where does Poe think he's taking the ship? Even if the Canto Bight/slicer/'tech-the-tech' worked out (it didn't), they don't really have any other place to go. Not in the least because the third act actually happens, but also because in-universe, they don't have many allies.

So "good writing" that isn't "silly" = the character doing the same thing in the first and second acts? Even after being admonished by one of the most important characters in the film And series overall?

The Holdo plot may not be perfect, but I just don't see how you "fix" it by letting Poe in on the plan.

Right, I think this is the point where I respectfully bow out of this discussion. Thanks for your time and input. :cheers

Last edited:

Luke had shut himself off from the Force. While Rey was there he becMe more engaged, even using the Force to contact Leia and destroy Rey's hut. I took it that opened the door back up for Yoda. I don't think Force ghost can just manifest themselves to anyone, I thinks it's a two way street where the recipeinet has to be open to them as well.

I'm thinking that R2 probably did try to talk to Luke in some way, but Luke wasn't hearing any of it from anyone, especially after what happened with Ben. Luke was probably in a funk about everything: basically his entire livelihood and purpose in life was gone in an instant because he made a stupid mistake. It connects back to his line to R2 in TLJ, that R2 wouldn't understand why he's doing what he's doing. It was basically Luke being in a slump and depression about everything that transpired.

Not trying to be smart DocWalker, but I dont understand any of that. I`m assuming you meant Yoda?

- - - Updated - - -

Luke had shut himself off from the Force. While Rey was there he becMe more engaged, even using the Force to contact Leia and destroy Rey's hut. I took it that opened the door back up for Yoda. I don't think Force ghost can just manifest themselves to anyone, I thinks it's a two way street where the recipeinet has to be open to them as well.

That seems a bit subjective, with the ForceTime thing and everything to me.

Not trying to be smart DocWalker, but I dont understand any of that.

My mistake. I misread your question as why R2 didn't try to counsel Luke instead of why Yoda didn't try to counsel Luke. Nonetheless, my answer would remain the same in regards to Yoda: Luke was in a depression and shaming himself after what happened with Ben, so he wasn't hearing any of it from anyone, even Yoda.

Not trying to be smart DocWalker, but I dont understand any of that. I`m assuming you meant Yoda?

- - - Updated - - -

That seems a bit subjective, with the ForceTime thing and everything to me.

But he wasn't involved with that initially and I would imagine if he doesn't want to be "seen" within the Force based on his experience, he can make that fly. Snoke's abilities when it comes to being able to get inside peoples minds was very strong, he clearly taught Kylo that skill as well and Kylo knew it wasn't Rey facilitating ForceTime as he said the effort would kill her.

Why wouldn't I be serious. It's been long established in SW that not wiping a droid's memory often allows the droid's AI to form a personality.

Other than 3PO, who was programmed to interact with humans.. Im not quite following you. I apologize if I missed that in SW

No, you don't have to read the TFA novelization to understand it. You can just read the Wookieepedia article on R2 or just Wookieepedia in general to find it out, as it provides that information regardless.
How Artoo got the info isn't imperative to the story; just like we didn't need the minute details on how the Rebels got the plans to the Death Star or how the Bothans got the plans to the DS2 wasn't or how Han and Lando knew each other or how Boba Fett knew to follow the garbage release or why Han dumped the cargo he was smuggling for Jabba...

I`m with you totally in regards to this subject. Its inexcusable to have important content left unexplained in movies. Its cinemas version of DLC.

Yeah, somethings....not ALL.. but some of the scenes, need a "line or 2" to at least catch up the viewer. Because not all of us go home and read the EU after the MOVIE!!

How Artoo got the info isn't imperative to the story; just like we didn't need the minute details on how the Rebels got the plans to the Death Star or how the Bothans got the plans to the DS2 wasn't or how Han and Lando knew each other or how Boba Fett knew to follow the garbage release or why Han dumped the cargo he was smuggling for Jabba...

What??,,, It was explained in plain English how they got the plains for the DS....and the Han and Lando was explained in 3 seconds with the Lando System scene... Boba Fett, was a bounty hunter!!, it made since that he knew....Han dumping the cargo, was alittle less story than this R2 story, yet still played a huge part in the Jabba story and was explained the ROTJ.

Your saying that all of this will be explained (like it was in the OT), in one last movie?

What??,,, It was explained in plain English how they got the plains for the DS....and the Han and Lando was explained in 3 seconds with the Lando System scene... Boba Fett, was a bounty hunter!!, it made since that he knew....Han dumping the cargo, was alittle less story than this R2 story, yet still played a huge part in the Jabba story and was explained the ROTJ.

Your saying that all of this will be explained (like it was in the OT), in one last movie?
It was shown to us very clearly that Artoo had the rest of the map. The difficult part of the map was the one Lor San Tekka had on Jakku that Poe Dameron and BB-8 went to get.

It's not that hard to figure out. I just asked my 13 year-old nephew the same question and he looked puzzled at first, then explained it the pretty much exactly the same way and then told me it was "common sense."

It was shown to us very clearly that Artoo had the rest of the map. The difficult part of the map was the one Lor San Tekka had on Jakku that Poe Dameron and BB-8 went to get.

It's not that hard to figure out. I just asked my 13 year-old nephew the same question and he looked puzzled at first, then explained it the pretty much exactly the same way and then told me it was "common sense."

Did you happen to ask your 13 yr old, how R2 got the map? Or is it.."he just woke up and had it, from just being R2". Theories, come a dime a dozen. Facts only come once.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back