Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
No, not necessarily. Make money? Yes. But the financial success of TFA, R1, and now TLJ is in excess of what Disney told shareholders when they mafde the acquisition. Why? Because the product is great and resonating with audiences. I understand if you don't like these new films that fact causes some cognitive dissonance with one's worldview of the franchise but it was entirely possible to screw this up. They haven't.
I dont see how TLJ doesnt seem like a screw up. What do they have to do in order for that to happen? Like Mr. Webber said, everyone will see these movies. But a matter of liking them, and putting them in revered status compared to the OT is kinda crazy. Yes, they made their investment back. Good for them, thats all they care about anyway. So to Disney, these movies are a success. But for most of the fans, they are sub par. For me at least, I loved TFA, was bored out of my mind for R1, and was actually upset at TLJ.

Lucas wanted the PT looking and being different. Which is absolutely OK with me and like I said earlier in this thread I now can kinda enjoy them a bit (atleast till I saw PLinketts reviews earlier today), but the story telling suffers under his overuse of technics.
My karma has been fulfilled. :-D

Couldnt agree more. A famous and very successful Director recently stated that its a mistake to hand the keys to a movie with such a huge budget and legacy over to someone who has only two, much smaller scale productions under their belt. To then leave this Director and writer basically unsupervised through the whole process falls straight at the feet of those claiming to be in charge. But, its making money so who cares right.;)

This is the thing I don’t understand about today’s cinema. Independent filmmaking is not a thing really, all these bloated multi-billion dollar investment movies are taking up screentime and people with fresh and original ideas hardly get seen. And if they do then they’re quickly snapped by a major studio to helm a massive project much like Rian Johnson was. For the record I liked Looper and was looking forward to him working on SW but handling these mega-investment to these relatively inexperienced guys is a mistake coz 1.) they often get overwhelmed and 2.) studio restriction is so heavy there’s no point hiring someone with a unique vision. Just think how well the production of Alien 3 went.
There’s no real chance of a new John Carpenter, James Cameron, Wes Craven or even George Lucas to grow themselves out from today’s movie world and work their ways up, you’re either overshadowed by the big corporate films or thrown in the deep-end of big corporate films where you’re likely to drown and take the blame for a flop (remember, $500 million income is a flop these days).
The only person who really stands out for me is Denis Villeneuve, I liked his work since Prisoners, just hope he’s gonna stick to his guns even after Blade Runner 2049. Similarly Ex Machina was a fantasic breath of fresh air.

Is someone else George Lucus?

I'm sure he wanted to be someone else when the lot of you were telling him he ruined your childhood with the PT.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont see how TLJ doesnt seem like a screw up. What do they have to do in order for that to happen? Like Mr. Webber said, everyone will see these movies. But a matter of liking them, and putting them in revered status compared to the OT is kinda crazy. Yes, they made their investment back. Good for them, thats all they care about anyway. So to Disney, these movies are a success. But for most of the fans, they are sub par. For me at least, I loved TFA, was bored out of my mind for R1, and was actually upset at TLJ.

For some fans, yes, for many more, no. My real world experience has been almost universally positive in conversations with friends, at work, etc.

To then leave this Director and writer basically unsupervised through the whole process falls straight at the feet of those claiming to be in charge. But, its making money so who cares right.;)

Completely false. None of these filmmakers are being left unsupervised. If so, what happened to Gareth Edwards, Lord and Miller, and Colin Trevorrow would never have happened.

My father makes alot of money... So that makes him a good father.

Disney's version of Star Wars is making alot of money... so that makes Disney.......

Lucas wanted the PT looking and being different. Which is absolutely OK with me and like I said earlier in this thread I now can kinda enjoy them a bit (atleast till I saw PLinketts reviews earlier today)

You should always trust the guys who hated Rogue One for everything they loved TFA for, as well as made "Space Cop"

No, not necessarily. Make money? Yes. But the financial success of TFA, R1, and now TLJ is in excess of what Disney told shareholders when they mafde the acquisition.
Are you still joking Bryan? The first rule of law when addressing shareholders and potential shareholders is to be conservative with profit expectations. Even when Star Wars is involved.

No, not necessarily. Make money? Yes. But the financial success of TFA, R1, and now TLJ is in excess of what Disney told shareholders when they mafde the acquisition.
Are you still joking Bryan? The first rule of law when addressing shareholders and potential shareholders is to be conservative with profit expectations. Even when Star Wars is involved.

Its called under promise, over deliver. But there were genuine concerns internally at Disney that the animosity directed towards the PT had done long lasting damage to the brand. It was a real question if the fanbase would come back no if a new generation of fans could be built. As of now they have been hugely successful on both counts.

- - - Updated - - -

GL didn't ruin my childhood............that was uncle Tony! (joking)

ROTFLMAO!

- - - Updated - - -

Don't argue the financial aspects with Box Office Bryan.

You can, it's just I'll advised. :)

No, not necessarily. Make money? Yes. But the financial success of TFA, R1, and now TLJ is in excess of what Disney told shareholders when they mafde the acquisition. Why? Because the product is great and resonating with audiences. I understand if you don't like these new films that fact causes some cognitive dissonance with one's worldview of the franchise but it was entirely possible to screw this up. They haven't.
Agreed that they didn't screw them up and they've made back their investment. I like them both, but am amazed at the lack of an overall story arc for the trilogy. Rian even said that one of the reasons he killed off Luke was so that JJ would have one less character to keep track of (or something like that). It's mind boggling that this is how Disney would approach the handling of Luke.

Again, I like TLJ - I just can't believe the approach they are taking with this trilogy.

Agreed that they didn't screw them up and they've made back their investment. I like them both, but am amazed at the lack of an overall story arc for the trilogy. Rian even said that one of the reasons he killed off Luke was so that JJ would have one less character to keep track of (or something like that). It's mind boggling that this is how Disney would approach the handling of Luke.

Again, I like TLJ - I just can't believe the approach they are taking with this trilogy.

It's a risky proposition. Instead of doing what so many accuse Disney of doing, micromanaging the franchise to death, the exact opposite is true. LucasFilm has a tremendous amount of autonomy and they have chosen this route. Bring in different directors, let them tell the story they want. For a trilogy it's tricky but for decades of films yet to be released it makes a lot of sense. No one creative person can dictate what Dtar Wars IS. It's actually very refreshing and bold.

The last jedi was awful , worst film I've ever seen in all of the SW films. Took 3 times for me to get used to TFA because it was essentially ANH. Scenes rearranged but in the end it was a legal copy of ANH.
Byran - you say Disney made its money back, agreed. But if they keep churning out a turd like TLJ then SW will tank and they will begin to break even then lose money. Why? because the people that go to the theaters and stand in line and go on opening weekend are the hard core fans and most been around since 1977 (like me) wont be there for opening weekend when they expect huge turnouts and big money,,,,why? because of the past history of releasing turds. I decided when I walked out of the theater after losing 2.5 hours of my time that when 9 comes around I will wait until its on demand or blu ray. Not going to the theaters for anything related to this last 3 trilogy. Rumor has it Ryan Johnson's trilogy is now cancelled, if so then that's great! R1 was awesome and original story, that was so much better than TFA AND TLJ.
I could careless for episode 9.

It's a risky proposition. Instead of doing what so many accuse Disney of doing, micromanaging the franchise to death, the exact opposite is true. LucasFilm has a tremendous amount of autonomy and they have chosen this route. Bring in different directors, let them tell the story they want. For a trilogy it's tricky but for decades of films yet to be released it makes a lot of sense. No one creative person can dictate what Dtar Wars IS. It's actually very refreshing and bold.

To me, it doesn't feel refreshing or bold, but more like a TV series and not part of something epic.

I think it's the opposite,....different directors with a different vision makes an incoherent story,.....nothing gels...

A clear vision is needed, not the old 'Making it up as we go'

Perhaps a break is needed,...to focus

J

The last jedi was awful , worst film I've ever seen in all of the SW films. Took 3 times for me to get used to TFA because it was essentially ANH. Scenes rearranged but in the end it was a legal copy of ANH.
Byran - you say Disney made its money back, agreed. But if they keep churning out a turd like TLJ then SW will tank and they will begin to break even then lose money. Why? because the people that go to the theaters and stand in line and go on opening weekend are the hard core fans and most been around since 1977 (like me) wont be there for opening weekend when they expect huge turnouts and big money,,,,why? because of the past history of releasing turds. I decided when I walked out of the theater after losing 2.5 hours of my time that when 9 comes around I will wait until its on demand or blu ray. Not going to the theaters for anything related to this last 3 trilogy. Rumor has it Ryan Johnson's trilogy is now cancelled, if so then that's great! R1 was awesome and original story, that was so much better than TFA AND TLJ.
Totally. As such substandard as TPM was, it still made a boatload of money and I saw it in the theatre three times. I bought it on vhs and Blu-ray.

I will wait for episode 9 to be on netflix

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If the only "hardcore" fans were people posting here, yes. But I took 6 kids aged 2-14 to TLJ and they loved it. There are your new "hardcore" fans. And I was born in 1968, I'll be there on opening day with my son until the day I die.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, it doesn't feel refreshing or bold, but more like a TV series and not part of something epic.

Subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

I think it's the opposite,....different directors with a different vision makes an incoherent story,.....nothing gels...

A clear vision is needed, not the old 'Making it up as we go'

Perhaps a break is needed,...to focus

J

Subjective.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back