Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Well, Tim Rose is reprising the role in TFA, so make of that what you will...

Oh is he really? I didn't know that. Very cool. I knew in the BTS reel, a Mon Calamari and Sullustan mask were seen and people were claiming they were Ackbar and Nien Nunb but I wasn't sure. I wonder who will do his voice?

The "reboot" vibe gets stronger.

I'm sure there will be similarities to ANH but I'm hardly getting any kind of reboot vibe. SW movies tend to mirror one another so it's not anything new.

Last edited:
A stormtrooper deflecting a lightsaber... What was that?

It looks like he's got an electro-staff thing like Grevious used in EP3.

I wondered about that. I can't tell if it's some sort of weird electrostaff (kinda hope it's not) or if Finn just damaged whatever weapon the trooper was holding.

Well, I think it might be an electro-tonfa (I don't know what it's really called, so I just made up a name).

There's a two pack action figure set that has a First Order Trooper, and the trooper has a shield and what looks like a tonfa.
K8oSI84.jpg

VrPl6Jc.jpg

It's strikingly similar to what we see in the trailer:

fbkQ3ZM.gif

You only get about a half second or so of it (sorry for the extra bits, but I couldn't do any less than a full second of capture), but you can clearly see that it's being wielded just like a tonfa would be, with the long side flat against the forearm.

Yep, you're right. I know that as a nightstick. Lol! Never been crazy about lightsaber-proof weapons but oh well...

Last edited:
Oh is he really? I didn't know that. Very cool. I knew in the BTS reel, a Mon Calamari and Sullustan mask were seen and people were claiming they were Ackbar and Nien Nunb but I wasn't sure. I wonder who will do his voice?

They are indeed Ackbar and Nien Nunb (Source). As to who's doing Ackbar's voice and who is playing Nien Nunb, I have no idea.

Yeah not terribly crazy about those either!

Still, with the shields, my guess is they're perhaps trying to channel the feel of the early McQuarrie concept troopers that sported shields and lightsabers. I guess the powers that be still want to keep lightsabers somewhat rare and unique so they gave some of them these things instead. My feeling is these aren't your grandfather's stormtroopers so I guess I can get on board with that. I could imagine the audience's collective gasp if it came to light that all stormtroopers had lightsabers as standard issue and were fully trained in using them!

Last edited:
I can go either way about lightsaber proof weapons. It seems like they need to exist for the story though, like Superman needs kryptonite. And it just makes logical sense. How hard could the technology be in that universe?

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but does anyone play Disney Infinity? They just released images of the new Force Awakens power discs and I found one to be of great interest. The link is below if anyone wants to click on it. If not I will explain what the disc looks like and what it is called here...............................................
The disc is called "Resistance Tactical Strike" and from the picture it looks a lot like a 'Deathstar type blast".. http://diskingdom.com/2015/11/13/st...ens-disney-infinity-3-0-power-discs-revealed/

I can go either way about lightsaber proof weapons. It seems like they need to exist for the story though, like Superman needs kryptonite. And it just makes logical sense. How hard could the technology be in that universe?

these kind of staffs were established in Ep. III with the Magna Gaurds.

Yeah and I thought those were dumb back then. As far as I'm concerned the only defense against a lightsaber should be another lightsaber. Not sure why electricity would block a lightsaber anyways but whatever. It's a shame weapons like that were ever introduced into the canon but they were.

Gotta love dogmatic people.

Yeah and I thought those were dumb back then. As far as I'm concerned the only defense against a lightsaber should be another lightsaber. Not sure why electricity would block a lightsaber anyways but whatever. It's a shame weapons like that were ever introduced into the canon but they were.

- - - Updated - - -

Every bald husky man in history must be Donald Sutherland.

In Empire Strikes Back we see Luke's saber bounce off Vader's shoulder armor. There's precedent for lightsabers not being unbeatable in the OT, even before it took Qui-Gon a while to cut through the blast door in Phantom Menace. I can get serious real-world physics nerd on you to explain how it works (high-power, very advanced, near-one-dimensional plasma chainsaw "spinning" at near-lightspeed is the short-short version), but metals, crystals, and other things with an abundance of free electrons will provide some resistance. They will cut through even those, given time, but the whole thing about it being melee combat means you're trying to keep the guy (or the other guy) with the lightsaber from being able to maintain contact long enough to do so.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back