Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

No to go on topic or anything, but I only just saw the trailer for this in theaters this week (I was late to see Avengers and it had a Star Wars trailer in the previews...it was the "Chewy we're home" one).

I've been trying very hard not to get my hopes up about this, but that trailer is making it really hard. I have to admit, I got a little excited.

I also realized that there's no avoiding it. Good or bad, Disney and JJ are going to get my money anyway.

Also, I prefer to think of them as not clones as well, but part of that is my own personal philosophy to not actually give a damn what the unspoken intentions might have been. What he may or may not have intended has no meaning to me, only the movie that I saw. Besides, with the exception of movies like Lord of the Rings, the directors cut of movies is often inferior...including scenes that were actually better left out, precisely because the director wanted to force feed us things that were better left up to the audience.

Considering how unreliable GL has been in regards to consistancy of story, I consider the Rinzler books as the most reliable historical telling of the first 3 films production. No clones in there either.

Rinzler still paints the official sanitized version of LFL history - so while there is a ton of great info and insider stuff, you're still getting a very clean and rosy picture of how things were during the production of these films.

Rinzler still paints the official sanitized version of LFL history - so while there is a ton of great info and insider stuff, you're still getting a very clean and rosy picture of how things were during the production of these films.

Yeah, in order to get the access he had/has and considering he still does work with LF I can see that pessimistic view, but I don't think the books read as a whitewash.

The Rinzler books gloss over some stuff quite intentionally, like what exactly George knew of the story and when, but there's a ton of fun information in them.

From the 1981 official publication The World of Star Wars: A Compedium of Fact and Fantasy From Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back:

"The creation of an Imperial Stormtrooper. A cloned man is one of a group of genetically identical humans, an assembly-line product. He is a thinking man, but he serves a specific purpose and no other. A clone has no mother; only his trainers, and he accepts his fate because he believe it is inevitable. A clone is, physically and emotionally, a normal man. He simply has no human rights and no name. He is the property of the Emperor."

The Rinzler books gloss over some stuff quite intentionally, like what exactly George knew of the story and when, but there's a ton of fun information in them.

Even George is entirely unclear what the story was initially intended to be at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

From the 1981 official publication The World of Star Wars: A Compedium of Fact and Fantasy From Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back:

"The creation of an Imperial Stormtrooper. A cloned man is one of a group of genetically identical humans, an assembly-line product. He is a thinking man, but he serves a specific purpose and no other. A clone has no mother; only his trainers, and he accepts his fate because he believe it is inevitable. A clone is, physically and emotionally, a normal man. He simply has no human rights and no name. He is the property of the Emperor."

Officially not in the film. :)

In the interest of full disclosure, my quote from comes from the book The Secret History of Star Wars - which lacks the official sanction of LFL and includes a lot more about the development and such of Star Wars.

This does include a bit about Stormtroopers and clones.... and since it's Lucas, that info seems contradictory.

attachment.php

clones.jpg

In the interest of full disclosure, my quote from comes from the book The Secret History of Star Wars - which lacks the official sanction of LFL and includes a lot more about the development and such of Star Wars.

This does include a bit about Stormtroopers and clones.... and since it's Lucas, that info seems contradictory.

http://www.therpf.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=497209&d=1436189075
View attachment 497209

Which is why the best arbiter of truth is what's in screen.

So, FWIW...

The Secret History of Star Wars - an in depth, well regarded yet unofficial book - says a few things.

#1. Author Michael Kaminsky, a well regarded SW historian believe(d) STs to be clones based on AotC and official info released during the release of the OT.

#2. Presented a quote from an official source stating Stormtroopers are clones.

#3. Lucas may have contradicted that in 1977 by saying there are female STs - but, just meant that there was a female clone source. ;)

Your mileage may vary - as will the inevitable as will the inevitable rhetoric rebuttal from some...

Last edited:
If they do opt to post any new material (trailer) after its debut at SDCC - the best guess would be around 9:30PM EDT/6:30PM PDT on Friday - as the Star Wars presentation at Comic Con is supposed to run 5:30-6:30 PDT.

Hopefully it will be livestreamed.

- - - Updated - - -

The first rumored detail of the new trailer...

Snowy landscape. Speeders zoom past.The same military gathering from previous trailer. Kylo Ren walks down landing ramp and in front of legion to chants.
Max Von Sydow narrating. Detailing the icy planet, the number of stormtroopers, Captain Phasma, and Kylo Ren and the fact some one is a fugitive.
Max Von Sydow talking "And you want to break in?"
Rey Finn Han and Chewie. Chewie roars, Han says he tried to talk them out of it.
This Christmas.
Dogfight over a lake.
Finn deflecting lasers with a blue lightsaber.
Little orange alien touches Rey's forehead, massive flash of white light.
Imperial commander on bridge with Phasma "I want him alive. Do what you want with the girl."
Kylo Ren and that sexy lightsaber.
Black and red X Wing shooting blue and white ones.
Tie Fighters pursue the Falcon in space.
Journey to a galaxy.
Rey screams at sight of Phasma.
A Star Destroyer plummets towards a snowy planet.
Kylo Ren unmasked lifting an officer into the air.
Orange alien with Leia looking on in horror
Artoo and Threepio in what looks like a bunker as lasers fly through the air.
X Wings shooting down Tie Fighters.
Rey acrobatically navigating a mechanical landscape.
Kylo Ren observing a river of lava with his back turned to the camera, lightsaber ignited.
Far far away.
Black.
Gravelly voice from first teaser.
"They found him"
"Who" normal voice.
"Skywalker..." Gravelly voice.
LUKE
STAR WARS
THE FORCE AWAKENS

Last edited by a moderator:
The latest rumor is that the trailer description is most likely a fake... but, we'll hopefully see the real thing soon enough.

Apparently, when pressed for info on Luke's appearance in the trailer, the leaker said (he is) "Looking past the camera with a warm look on his face. It’s snowing too."

The common belief is that Luke doesn't appear in a part of the film that might have snow.
There are implications that a certain fansite and its owner/admin had been "leaking" fake info including trailer descriptions in the past to make him and his site look good and draw more traffic. So... who knows?

The latest rumor is that the trailer description is most likely a fake... but, we'll hopefully see the real thing soon enough.

Apparently, when pressed for info on Luke's appearance in the trailer, the leaker said (he is) "Looking past the camera with a warm look on his face. It’s snowing too."

The common belief is that Luke doesn't appear in a part of the film that might have snow.
There are implications that a certain fansite and its owner/admin had been "leaking" fake info including trailer descriptions in the past to make him and his site look good and draw more traffic. So... who knows?

But that's not MSW's trailer description, he hasn't done one.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back