Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

....in any case,.....would that source be considered canon,....no-where in the films does it state that stormtroopers are clones,....they have different heights, different voices and are clearly not as skilful as prequel clonetroopers......

.....but now,....with the new direction of Star Wars,....the ambiguity of who are what is below that white armour is being told to us.......& the cartoon seems to be going to explain what happens to the clones,....and we've seen a youth military school, training up young recruits,....perhaps a percentage of the Stormtroopers will be a mixture of different clones manufactured in different worlds,....who knows,.....but by the time of the ST, we do know there are different races, sexes etc used as troopers.

.....so really it doesn't matter what we interpreted or thought Stormtroopers were,.....we are now being told

......I'm happy about that,.....more happier than being told that the force was a microscopic parasite

J

Exactly. No problem in thinking they were clones or never having that idea occur to you - but it's odd to criticize the writers of the new material for violating something that's not yet established one way or the other.

But you didn't link to the source.

Is the content of those vintage poster magazines available online? I did a quick search, but only found images of the covers.

Edit: While I still can't find the actual content, the Wookiepedia confirms the article did appear in issue #4 stating the stormtroopers are clones (the Vader article appears in #2). Is that good enough for you?

Last edited:
Is the content of those vintage poster magazines available online? I did a quick search, but only found images of the covers.

Edit: While I still can't find the actual content, the Wookiepedia confirms the article did appear in issue #4 stating the stormtroopers are clones (the Vader article appears in #2). Is that good enough for you?

It doesn't matter anymore,....is it canon?

tarkin-star-wars.jpg

"This bickering is pointless"
Grand Moff Tarkin

J

Not really, I have an old issue of starlog that has a full page advert with Cybil Danning as Terminator 2, magazines aren't always reliable sources of information.

- - - Updated - - -

51xySrkbeML._SY445_.jpg

Oh man, now we're citing poster magazines? Is this what it's come to?

It simply establishes that the notion of stormtroopers being clones has been around since 1977. And it's an official Star Wars product, so why not?

- - - Updated - - -

Not really, I have an old issue of starlog that has a full page advert with Cybil Danning as Terminator 2, magazines aren't always reliable sources of information.

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 496572

Not Starlog and clearly not a studio approved product. Besides, the poster magazines were released after the film, and that's obviously advanced "publicity" that's purely speculative in nature. Next.

Well I can see your open minded so if you are happy taking your star wars cannon from something wrote by a bored office junior, I'll just leave it be.

I got the name of the magazine wrong because I was relying on a 30 year old memory, I envy you for your clarity of memory on something a decade further back than that.

Last edited:
Oh man, now we're citing poster magazines? Is this what it's come to?

People aren't even listening to the fact that the guy who created the movies said some are clones! Why would any of those people listen to any source unless God himself came down and verified that yes Lucas had that idea in the 70s... I doubt they'd even believe that.

Maybe they'll have a after credit scene and Boba will crawl outta the Sarlacc's sack and say, "Glad i have clones to replace these body parts"... *winks at camera*

The funny thing is, I expect clones to feature in no way in this new trilogy. Why is this a thing still?
Ah, but how do you know? Maybe over the 20-ish-year span between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens the remnants of The Empire figured out non-clones are not as effective as clones, and decided to grow a new generation of CloneStormtroopers.

:D

They aren't clones. They were not intended to be when the original trilogy was made.
Now if GL tried to change that in some off the cuff statement made to some fanboy of the type that likes to point out movie errors and have GL or someone try to come up with an offical explanation (Star Wars Insider) then I guess you can take that and run with it.

But I no more accept that than if George said the potato in the asteroid field had been intentional and had once belonged to Chewie's father Itchy..
George constantly is inconsistent with his personal "head cannon".
And other branches pick up on things and try them out on fans like the card game renaming the stormtroopers "Clone Stormtroopers" right after Episode II came out. Obviously that name never caught on and never appeared again
It might be fun to be the Star Wars fan who knows all those facts but they have no bearing or effect on the movies.

Stormtroopers '77; most people saw them as soliders in armor. Different voices, different heights. A few thought maybe they were robots. Almost nobody thought clones. They were not Intended to be understood as clones. Or Robots.

But in the end what matters is they Do have different heights and voices and an overwhelming majority of people who saw the original films think of them as just men in armor.

Now in Episode 7 they are still just men in armor. No "lazy retconning"

Why yes! Because that's the only way anyone knows anything about Star Wars.
I don't pretend to know what goes on in Georges mind.
What I do know is at no point in the original films are we given any clue that stormtroopers might be clones. Nor in the novelization. Nor in the extensive history we have access to on the writing and development of "The Star Wars".

Don't you think George would have mentioned it if he has intended that? Don't you think that in all the years between ROTJ and Episode II he would have brought it to the attention of the people making the books, toys, and video games?
Stormtroopers are referred to as Imperial Troops interchangeably. Other Imperial troops we see without helmets are not clones. So I see very little reason for someone to form that idea.
You can think that if you want, it doesn't bother me.
What does bother me is people making a huge deal about "J.J is retconning the stormtroopers as not clones! How wrong and lazy"

That's not what's happened with TFA. And who knows, maybe there are clones in there too! I personally wouldn't like that but if they want to make it so some original trilogy stormtroopers were always clones, I guess that's their right. But I see nothing prior to George making Episode II that makes me believe that was what we were always intended to understand.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back