Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Spoilers)

If Luke went to the Dark Side I'd be ticked. It wouldn't make an ounce of sense. He resisted the most powerful Force user the universe has recently encountered in the Emperor, yet on his own he just somehow decides to go for it?

I hope they don't go with a Kenobi lineage. People said it was a huge problem in the Prequels having the connections between Anakin and C-3PO, Tatooine, etc. so why would this be so great? Because it's Kenobi?

As for the Dark Side, the Prequels lead you to believe that Jedi rarely ever fall to the Dark Side. There's only 20 Jedi who have even voluntarily left the order (21 if you count Ahsoka), let alone turned. It's so unbelievable that in AOTC they don't even believe that Dooku could do the things they are being told.

If they want to do it I wouldn't mind...too much,if they made Kylo a clone I wouldn't mind...too much,if they go crazy and do EU the original casts kids are taking over I may need to go find some people and give'em quality time with a ball bat starting at the knees :behave

Some ties to what came before is okay,as I said a hundred times before the ability to clone is there-why not use it? if they decided to try and clone a force user to see what happens I can buy that.

If SOMEBODY had family that now is force adept know what? I can buy that (Obi,Mace,hell Yoda even)

I want the kids of the original crew to go on and be the ones who hold power in the galaxy and have to deal with the Empire that will be a part of that like it or not,let there be new blood and let them lead to new things and new villains,for now in say the next two films tie up loose ends with the story and go forward.

With all these great script writers and story tellers right here , I dont know why they went with JJ !!! I think anyone having such strong feelings about what they want expect from this film , I'd strongly advise ...dont go see it

Yeah way too many armchair directors on this board. No matter how good this film is there are people who just want to hate it no matter what. The OT will NEVER be recaptured. It was just as much about time and place as the movies themselves. All I'm looking for is a great movie that feels like Star Wars and I think this movie will be just that. I'm starting to get tired of all the negative nancies trying to make bad of it. Just get over it and don't bother watching the movie. Stick with the OT and let people who want to move forward enjoy this new era.

Ben

Great post Ben.

100% agree.

Yeah way too many armchair directors on this board. No matter how good this film is there are people who just want to hate it no matter what. The OT will NEVER be recaptured. It was just as much about time and place as the movies themselves. All I'm looking for is a great movie that feels like Star Wars and I think this movie will be just that. I'm starting to get tired of all the negative nancies trying to make bad of it. Just get over it and don't bother watching the movie. Stick with the OT and let people who want to move forward enjoy this new era.

Ben

....The OT will NEVER be recaptured. It was just as much about time and place as the movies themselves...

For the original/older generation fans - No. But this isn't a bad thing. It's very difficult to recapture the same feelings from what happened months, years and even decades ago. I saw SW when I was 8 years old - it changed me forever! :) But I will never have those same feelings as I did riding in the backseat of the family cruiser looking up at the stars after seeing SW. It was a magical experience. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

I'm older now and see the world through much wider open eyes, differing opinions and experiences, etc etc etc. When we're young our world consists of what is right in front of us. I can only hope for a wonderful story, jaw dropping effects (that HELP tell the story) and the opportunity to be whisked away, if only for a few hours, on an amazing adventure.

I grew up with SW OT in a hard time when Romania was under Communist and Soviet rule (70's and 80's). I watched ANH and ESB on cinema, but ROTJ had to watch on a friend's VHS player since Ceausescu (the Communist leader/president) didn't allow it to run on cinemas (you wonder why LOL). Before 1990 there were hard times in this part of the world, and Star Wars was like a light tower of freedom for people here, especially for children who watched it. Of course there were no SW toys to be found in the Eastern Block, but even so I considered SW an inspiration, a way to make people forget about their everyday problems.

I remember one day coming from school with two friends (I was about 9-10 back then if remember correctly), and we've seen a new BMW car parked near the school. Since it was a different car that the ones we were used seeing every day we got near it and looked inside. On one of the doors there was a bumper sticker with Vader fighting with Luke with their lightsabers, we stood there for half an hour looking at it and remembering scenes from the movie. The car was still there for about 3 weeks - seems it was a German from Western Germany (the non-Communist Germany, from across the Wall) who came in visit to a house in our city...

SW had that kind of magic that helped you survive in the tough world and learn that there could be something better out there.

I think that if he has gone dark side (not necessarily Sith since that's an order) it would explain alot of things. Think about this... Anakin was a Jedi and he turned but he did so with guidance from so it happened alot quicker... with Luke, Yoda did warn him that if he didn't complete the training of the Jedi, the dark side would forever dominate his destiny. It's been 30 years, and its quite possible, he's turned full dark side on us by now. Even Vader had good in him, and it's possible that Luke does too and it may take Leia to bring it out in him. But even the bad guys think they are doing something for the good of something else, even if it is evil.

I think you must be forgetting the scene in ROTJ when Luke returns to Yoda to COMPLETE his training... and Yoda tells him that tyhere is no more training that he requires. The last thing for him to do was to face Vader ("only then, a Jedi will you be"). Yoda knew that the one weak spot in Luke was the connection to his Father,, and the fact that his Father had chosen the Dark Side. In order to eliminate that weakness, it was necessary for Luke to confront Vader. Yoda knew (had possibly forseen?) that Luke was as strong in the Force as Anakin was... and that of all people Luke was the one who could overpower the Dark Side's hold on Anakin and allow him to be redeemed. Yoda also knew that if Luke faced all of this and suceeded, it would obliterate the weakness and cement his place as a Jedi. LOVE is what conquers the Dark Side. Not possesive jealous love (like that which caused Anakin to turn in order to hold onto what he feared to lose) but SELFLESS love--such as a Father to a Son and Vice Versa. In that moment when Luke looked at his Father's severed hannd and weakened state--and then looked at his own--he got it. He realized why giving in to hate and anger are wrong... he saw what it had done to his father, and he not only chose to step back from the edge then and forever choose the Light, but he also LOVED his Father... and this love overpowered the Dark Side's grip on Anakin... who then chose to destroy his evil Master and return to the Light.

Given all of this.... there is NO WAY Luke turned to the Dark Side later. NO WAY. He may have been tortured or unsure.. afraid of his power...but he did not turn. In fact he may have cloistered himself away specifically because he was questioning what came after (which we have not yet been privvy to) but he DID NOT turn evil.

Just No.

I'm a negative nancy about the Prequels (and, to be honest, Return of the Jedi and the Special Editions) -- but because I've seen them, repeatedly, and also been immersed in the real-world evolution of Star Wars from the early 1970s through to now. I know what could have been, had Lucas kept a good critical brain or two on hand to balance his raw ideation, and I am embittered by the deluge of dropped balls.

I was rocked back on my heels by the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney and Lucas' retirement back in late 2013, and gobsmacked by the Big Canon Announcement of early 2014. But once I got over the initial shock, I've seen the wisdom in the latter, and am eagerly anticipatory of all the promise and potential in this Brave New World. I have spent over a year now working to turn people away from their Chicken Little it's-all-over whinging and see that nothing's been taken away from them because it was never there to begin with. The EU went from being "semi-canon until it isn't" to "not canon until it is". It's such a minor shift is context as to be essentially meaningless. Nothing in the EU was safe from Lucas potentially overwriting it. Now, new content creators are working pretty quickly to incorporate much that was EU into the canon, so it can't be overwritten. Quinlan Vos, Republic Commandos (and Delta Squad specifically), The Hundred-Year Darkness, the Imperial Security Bureau... all canon now, and counting.

So we come to Episode VII... I haven't seen it yet. I haven't even seen a fifth of it yet. I've seen two teasers and a trailer, which don't give away much. I've seen some set photos and costume sketches and many, many rumors. But I am far more aware of everything we haven't seen yet. So I am not going to give up on this film, dismiss it, denigrate it, or condemn it until I've actually seen it. I'm not going to base my opinion on the tiny glimpses we've seen or the rumors -- however well-founded -- that are floating around out there. Heck, I want to take a whack at putting together a maxi-trailer because the efforts I've seen so far have put things in the wrong sequence still. For instance, I'm willing to bet it doesn't go from the Millennium Falcon evading First Order TIE Fighters on Jakku to the forested planet to the Millennium Falcon continuing to evade those fighters on Jakku. If people aren't able to put the film's events even approximately in the right sequence in such trailer edits, I don't see how they can have formed an informed opinion about the entirety of a film that most of us haven't seen in any form yet.

I remain hopeful and excited until given a reason not to be. I don't know that they'll recapture what worked about Star Wars and Empire. I don't know if they should. It's a phrase I've used on here many times -- what I want is a good story well-told. I'll tell you on 18th December whether I think we got that. Until then, I think the doomsaying is a tiny bit premature.

--Jonah

... there is NO WAY Luke turned to the Dark Side later. NO WAY. He may have been tortured or unsure.. afraid of his power...but he did not turn. In fact he may have cloistered himself away specifically because he was questioning what came after (which we have not yet been privvy to) but he DID NOT turn evil.

I really like the idea of Luke being a tortured soul for these many years. if so, it will be fascinating to see the transition from lost soul to being once again thrust into to the forefront of turmoil and desperation. Perhaps it's Leia who helps guide him through this transition?

I really like the idea of Luke being a tortured soul for these many years. if so, it will be fascinating to see the transition from lost soul to being once again thrust into to the forefront of turmoil and desperation. Perhaps it's Leia who helps guide him through this transition?

No, Luke and Leia have no interaction in this film. But all bets are off on Ep. VIII where I think Luke will feature more. And if he did reside over a Jedi Academy that resulted in a massacre, chances are he is struggling with those demons.

No, Luke and Leia have no interaction in this film. But all bets are off on Ep. VIII where I think Luke will feature more. And if he did reside over a Jedi Academy that resulted in a massacre, chances are he is struggling with those demons.

I was ref to EP VIII - my mistake :)

The rumor is that there was still an incredible amount of animosity toward the Jedi despite the fall of the Empire? I'm not sure how another Jedi massacre / purge would or could even play out. I think Luke's inner demons would lend so much more to the story. Just MO. ;)

The rumor is that there was still an incredible amount of animosity toward the Jedi despite the fall of the Empire? I'm not sure how another Jedi massacre / purge would or could even play out. I think Luke's inner demons would lend so much more to the story. Just MO. ;)

No, it might be the Knights of Ren

^This is what I'm thinking, too. Kylo says he wants to finish what Vader started in the trailer. As far as we know, the only continual mission the public knew about Vader, was the purging of the Jedi.

Just speculation based on spoiler rumors.

^This is what I'm thinking, too. Kylo says he wants to finish what Vader started in the trailer. As far as we know, the only continual mission the public knew about Vader, was the purging of the Jedi.

Just speculation based on spoiler rumors.

But if Kylo is Anakin's grandson he would likely know more.

But if Kylo is Anakin's grandson he would likely know more.

That was kinda my point. From the audience POV, we know all about the Jedi, Sith, Emperor, etc..

The characters in the universe seem to only know about the Jedi, since that was what the Jedi put out there. Luke really only knew what he was told by the surviving prequel characters, & he had pretty good reason to question the validity of anything, since it all came from the perspective of the character telling him the info.

The general universe knew Vader as a BA Jedi hunter that had worked his way through the ranks up to the Emperor's right hand man. This based on the OT's treatment of the doubts about the Force & Jedi.

I guess my point is this-

We, as the general audience, know more of Vader's history than the general SW universe, Including his kids. So, other thank purging the Jedi, what else could he have not 'finished'? If Kylo was who the spoilers said he is, he'd have a reason to want to continue a systematic destruction of all those who either are, or could become Jedi.

That make sense?

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back