Star Wars The Acolyte (tv series)

Meh…”I sense the darkness…”

I’m not seeing anything new here.

Well, other than a Star Wars fight in a barn and a character who brings steak knives to a lightsaber wielding galaxy.

So, I guess…there’s that.

IMG_3766.jpeg

Yeah…and the costumes do appear to have that “Disney Cheapness (tm)” to them:

Even the exciting new guy, wielding the Yellow lasersword, looks a bit “off” to me…

IMG_3769.jpeg

Last edited:
STAR WARS ended when Lucas released his last film. Everything since is apocryphal, and a waste of time.

It’s no longer about the specific story of an artist with a vision. It’s corporate brand management, at best. Obnoxious and incompetent social engineering, at worst.

Looking forward to actively not watching this, just as I haven’t watched or paid for anything from The Mouse in years. This will be a failure like the rest of their projects, because they fundamentally don’t undertand the franchise that they’ve run into the ground.

The End.

I'll also concur with people saying it looks a little cheap. It basically looks like what has become the "average" look of Disney's Star Wars shows.
I keep trying to put my finger on what makes something look like a big budget theatrical film vs a lower budget series. I'd say it's a combination of a lot of things: lighting, sets, costumes, fight choreography, and film direction/cinematography to name a few.

Using smaller sets and/or the led volume dictates direction somewhat, which I think is why scenes are often framed (camera-wise) in an "un-theatrical" way, for lack of a better term. I think more experienced directors can get more out of a smaller budget, but Disney seems to be hiring younger directors, or less experienced at least. I'm sure it's partly because they're cheaper to hire, and Kathlern Kennedy may think hiring people with a little buzz behind them will equal success. The Acolyte's creator and director (of the 1st two episodes at least) Leslye Headland is known for co-creating Russian Doll (along with Natasha Lyone and Amy Poehler), which I believe was well recieved, though I never saw it myself. Seems like she hasn't had a lot of success as a director, mostly sporadic tv episodes here and there. She directed 4 eps of the aforementioned Russian Doll, but, again, I don't have any opinion to give on that or anything else she's done as I haven't seen any of it.

Here's a quote I found on her getting the Star Wars job:

"Star Wars: The Acolyte creator Leslye Headland is currently putting the finishing touches on a four-year journey that started with Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy buying her overall series pitch in the room. At the time, her hook was "Frozen meets Kill Bill"

Eh, not exactly what I would think would be a winning pitch, or something I'd be especially interested in. But who knows. I'll probably watch it out of curiosity, and being a long time Star Wars fan, but I'm not particularly excited to see it. She also mentions working with and being a fan of Rian Johnson, so I don't know if that helped her get the gig - it probably won't help her with a lot of Star Wars fans (though I'm in the minority as I actually liked The Last Jedi and thought it was the best film of the new trilogy).

There's a lot of burnout with Star Wars and Marvel right now, which Disney has acknowledged, so this series might be on the tail end of an era of Disney's over-saturation of the market. I'd much rather they took more time with these projects and produced fewer of them, hopefully with higher budgets, longer production time and more established creative teams than trying to push out as much content that they assume people want.

Rest of the article here:

Last edited:
Also from the article I linked, Headland describes the story as being insired by Rashomon, where you see one series of events unfold, but it switches between different characters' perspectives of that event. That could be interesting, or it could be tedious if done poorly. She says it's a mystery/thiller as well, so it could get tiresome if the story and mystery elements don't unfold quickly enough, which could happen if the switching of perspectives feels too repetitive.

All of the D+ shows that use the Volume extensively have this feeling to me. And not just the Star Wars shows.
As someone who worked on a a few blocks of this show, In the UK - I didn't see any volume work. There is a small volume over at pinewood but not at Shinfield where the bulk of this was shot. Lots of practical sets and some location sets.
Now this who might well be more of the same low calibre nonsense that Disney has been putting out recently, that'll be proven or not once it's out but I can tell you from my small experience that the sets, costumes and crew were awesome!

Not a single positive comment in this page, and the show hasn't even started. It's ok not wanting to see it i guess, but calling it a failure like the rest of the projects? I wouldnt call everything a failure, there has been some good stuff here and there like Andor, R1, Mando season 1&2 etc.

Andor was heavily critized before it launched and look how it went.

This looks terrible.Kung Fu meets Star Wars in cheap.I have no clue what drugs they take but its not good for the franchise.:lol:
My feelings exactly...I find the lighting a little too dark for my liking; maybe a trick to hide the costume's quality:(
The Kung Fu moves seemed a little too much for the way Jedi's fighting techniques have been portrayed, along the years...not my fav so far.

I've always wished for more aliens up front and center than Disney puts in their shows. Aliens always seem to lack in the main character department. I think there were only like 2 or 3 in that large group of Padawans. I'm sure it's a money thing to make unique costumes for each actor but the prequels and OT were filled to the brim with so many unique creatures.

Not a single positive comment in this page, and the show hasn't even started. It's ok not wanting to see it i guess, but calling it a failure like the rest of the projects? I wouldnt call everything a failure, there has been some good stuff here and there like Andor, R1, Mando season 1&2 etc.

Andor was heavily critized before it launched and look how it went.
All the usual dead horse beaters are here to beat their dead horses. They’ve been saying they have been ‘done’ with SW for years but they keep watching new trailers, keep watching new movies/shows, keep complaining how much they hate them, and keep letting us know how dead SW is and how done they are with it- again, and again, and again, and again…..

…and again….

I've always wished for more aliens up front and center than Disney puts in their shows. Aliens always seem to lack in the main character department. I think there were only like 2 or 3 in that large group of Padawans. I'm sure it's a money thing to make unique costumes for each actor but the prequels and OT were filled to the brim with so many unique creatures.
I disagree.
No it isn't.
No they weren't.

ANH and ESB were both very human-centric. It was only with ROTJ when it all turned into a muppet-fest for shameless merchandising. "Aliens" work better as background and supporting characters because you simply can't act worth a damn with a giant octopus covering your head.

I disagree.
No it isn't.
No they weren't.

ANH and ESB were both very human-centric. It was only with ROTJ when it all turned into a muppet-fest for shameless merchandising. "Aliens" work better as background and supporting characters because you simply can't act worth a damn with a giant octopus covering your head.
I disagree with your ROTJ assessment. Ewoks were made due to how much more expensive would have been to do a Wookie planet.

Also regarding acting tell that to Chewie, that Bro has better acting than a lot of human characters.

The Alien thing is more of a personal preference, there is not right or wrong here.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back