Star Wars set piece reveal - ESB cockpit and control panels “I’m sure it’s perfectly safe for droids”

thd9791

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi everyone

Tomorrow I’m going to be able to post a disassembly album of a new part I recently identified.

I’ve attached photos of the props and set pieces for a little teaser today. I just can’t help myself!

This is the black and silver panel seen in the medical bay, in a corridor during Luke and Vader’s duel and famously the X wing cockpit. It’s even part of the close-up shot where R2’s comments are dictated on the screen. I’m throwing some small screenshots up now, I’m going to hunt for this some more - it’s upside down on a panel when Vader jumps out at Luke in the hallway.
IMG_8269.jpeg
IMG_8268.jpeg
IMG_8270.png

What you’re looking at is actually a desktop calculator. It’s a rather rare one (of course) with a handful of versions. They all have nearly the same panel configuration, with different cut-outs for the buttons

The first ones you’ll most likely find are made by Advance Electronics
IMG_8272.jpeg

This is the model I have arriving in the mail. Some other models have less in the way of buttons so you won’t have all the space for greeblies.

I believe in England they used the Phytron Analysis 14. It had one less key on the left side and that lines up perfectly with the greeblie set-up.
IMG_8273.jpeg

When I open mine up I’ll check and see if other parts are used elsewhere. These buttons look VERY retro but I think the round buttons we think of were decals in the movie.

Cool huh?

Thank you to everyone that has helped me search for things like this. I want to put together one of my own control panels, maybe frame it…

Nice find! It's a super fun feeling having the realization of a discovery like that suddenly crystalize in your consciousness.

Dan

YES AND IN THE RIGHT BOTTLE TOP YOULL SEE THE DV6 LIGHTSABER GREEBLIE!!!!

Old news for both of us I think, it’s just crazy, it’s there and on the pointy medica droid thing they test Luke’s hand with
BTW ... did you realize this prop?
View attachment 1719813
It is likely made from the spray end (top) of a BOC (!) Seltzer bottle ...
View attachment 1719814
More pictures and details about the Seltzer bottle in following thread: My Mynock Cave Falcon Breather Mask Build

Last edited:
Okay folks, here is the casing first. Just at my dining room table, nothing fancy sorry lol

This being an Advance Electronics calc, the guts are a tad different. This display is a gas one, I think the Phytron was an LED. Check out the mesh!

IMG_8580.jpeg
IMG_8581.jpeg
IMG_8582.jpeg
IMG_8583.jpeg
IMG_8589.jpeg
IMG_8590.jpeg
IMG_8598.jpeg
IMG_8597.jpeg
IMG_8599.jpeg
IMG_8632.jpeg
IMG_8634.jpeg

And now for some closer details. The silver circles on the side are actually aluminum discs, 1-2mm thin
IMG_8631.jpeg
IMG_8592.jpeg
IMG_8593.jpeg
IMG_8585.jpeg
IMG_8584.jpeg
IMG_8588.jpeg
IMG_8608.jpeg
IMG_8609.jpeg
IMG_8615.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8611.jpeg
    IMG_8611.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_8614.jpeg
    IMG_8614.jpeg
    518.6 KB · Views: 36
Absolutely. I swear these buttons were used somewhere.

Also there is red tape on the back of my case. It’s so thin I can’t scrape it away with an xacto blade… I’m going to try an acetone soak? Hope it won’t hurt the plastic beneath

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back