Star Wars: questions you've always wanted answers for

I just re-watched the ROTJ, and here's what I'm wondering: near the very end, when the Force Ghosts appear to Luke, Leia comes and hugs him. She smiles at him and they both leave after Luke looks at the Ghosts one more time. But Leia doesn't react to them at all. So, did they appear just for Luke to see them?

I don't think so... I think at least the force sensitive people can see them. in the clone wars, anakin can hear qui gon talking to yoda. and in the books, Anakins ghost visits lea to ask for forgiveness...

Maybe the ghost didn't want to be seen by her. If she doesn't know she has powers hidden inside her. Then less chance she would try to unleash them.

It was the progression Lucas was showing of his return from the netherworld. First a disembodied voice, then a hazy and distant figure, then a more distinct and animated apparition, then almost fully realized and able to interact with his surroundings. The original ending, for quite some time, was going to have been that during Luke's final confrontation with the Emperor and Vader, he was going to be able to step back across to corporeality and help Luke against the baddies. Fairly late in the story sessions, Lucas decided that would take too much away from Luke's ultimate triumph, and he had Obi-Wan say instead that he won't be able to interfere -- presumably because of the miasma of the Dark Side in that location.

What I am most anxious about is where they take that in the new films. The EU writers didn't really know what the hell to do with Force ghosts, so they wrote Anakin and Ben out, and I can't remember if Yoda ever appeared again. But that runs counter to where George was going with it. I want to see Yoda and Anakin and Ben and maybe Qui-Gon hanging out with Luke during his hermitage.

--Jonah

What I am most anxious about is where they take that in the new films. The EU writers didn't really know what the hell to do with Force ghosts, so they wrote Anakin and Ben out, and I can't remember if Yoda ever appeared again. But that runs counter to where George was going with it. I want to see Yoda and Anakin and Ben and maybe Qui-Gon hanging out with Luke during his hermitage.

--Jonah

same here. I hated how they had ben just kind of dissapear. we never saw yoda at all...and anakin only appeared once.
It would be nice to see if Luke went away as training to catch up on a 1,000 year jedi history with the force ghosts guiding him. kind of sad, but one way to do it.
Although you really can't call it 'return of the jedi' if by awakens, no jedi have really returned yet. luke should have a new order of his own by then.

The title "Return of the Jedi" was referring specifically to Luke. Luke was THE Jedi. And he was returning, after having his butt kicked by Darth Vader.
And do you really want Luke to have an ARMY? That's not what Luke's about. That's not what the FORCE is about.
Did Yoda have an army? Did Ben have an army? I'm not talking about those stupid prequels, I'm talking about what we saw on screen in the OT.

I would think, that obviously Luke did not bring back the Jedi, otherwise during this 30 years there would be lots of them by now. Since the Jedi are pretty much forgotten, so is The Force.

to hide Luke from Vader he got to live with his uncle and aunt, good hiding place to start with, and why is hos last name still skywalker?

think someone like anakin skywalker would find him in a flash.

The title "Return of the Jedi" was referring specifically to Luke. Luke was THE Jedi. And he was returning, after having his butt kicked by Darth Vader.
And do you really want Luke to have an ARMY? That's not what Luke's about. That's not what the FORCE is about.
Did Yoda have an army? Did Ben have an army? I'm not talking about those stupid prequels, I'm talking about what we saw on screen in the OT.
Also Luke did return , we just don't know at this stage how long he hung around and what drove him into exile , hopefully this is what TFA will uncover
buuuuuut , do I really want Luke singing cumbaya around the campfire with four force ghosts ........I hope not
Here's what that would look like
http://youtu.be/zdukWtJwlPU

That makes no sense. Yoda and Obi Wan didn't need an army because they were content to HIDE. They weren't powerful enough to defeat the Emperor. I'm sure if they had an army they would have used it. We all know that when Yoda says Luke is the last Jedi and to pass on what he learned, Yoda obviously was not talking about teaching a few people. He meant to restart the Jedi Order. Otherwise it would have been called "Return of the Force User". A Jedi is part of an organization. You can't just be THE Jedi. And yes you have to factor in the Prequels because you can't talk about the Jedi unless you do because there were wasn't a Jedi organization in the movies. The only Jedi in the OT were two older Jedi in hiding and not in their prime.

I've always interpreted that Luke becoming a Jedi at the end of ROTJ marked the return of the Jedi. The first of a new generation, saved from the brink of extinction and all that. Or at least was supposed to! TFA makes me think any plans to train more might not have gone as planned or expected...

And yes you have to factor in the Prequels because you can't talk about the Jedi unless you do because there were wasn't a Jedi organization in the movies. The only Jedi in the OT were two older Jedi in hiding and not in their prime.

I don't have to factor in the prequels if I don't want to.
And you just said the same thing I said: There was no Jedi army (organization) in the movies.
Ben or Yoda could have raised and trained an army in all the time they spent in exile if that was ever the point.
It never was the point, which is why they didn't, which is why Luke shouldn't.
A Jedi is not a part of an organization. A Jedi is anyone who's able to feel the force and use it for good.
Those prequels warped your brain, man. You forgot what Star Wars was about.

in the sense of army, I meant a whole hell of a lot of jedi, not a physical army of jedi. that make more sense?

How cool of a poster would it have been to have look at the forefront, and about 200 lightsabers only (and silhouettes) lit up behind him?

in the sense of army, I meant a whole hell of a lot of jedi, not a physical army of jedi. that make more sense?

How cool of a poster would it have been to have look at the forefront, and about 200 lightsabers only (and silhouettes) lit up behind him?

Like this?

aniaotchr10.jpg

I don't like it

J

I don't have to factor in the prequels if I don't want to.
And you just said the same thing I said: There was no Jedi army (organization) in the movies.
Ben or Yoda could have raised and trained an army in all the time they spent in exile if that was ever the point.
It never was the point, which is why they didn't, which is why Luke shouldn't.
A Jedi is not a part of an organization. A Jedi is anyone who's able to feel the force and use it for good.
Those prequels warped your brain, man. You forgot what Star Wars was about.

No problem, take the Prequels out of the picture. The Jedi are an organization. Even in ANH Obi Wan says "I was once a Jedi Knight..." So he even says he was once part of a group, the group was destroyed, and he doesn't consider himself a Jedi anymore. There wasn't ever any point in the OT where the Jedi weren't an organization. They tell you that in the movie! If you're just some Force user you're not a Jedi, just a Force user.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back