Star Wars: questions you've always wanted answers for

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Movie Talk' started by KrangPrime, Sep 4, 2015.

1. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

here is my main one. Why did they straighten his belly wires for episode 6?
    It does look nicer and more detailed.

\[​IMG]

this also seems to be the only movie where they re recorded R2s entire sound library. the beeps seem....if not faster, definitely different than the last two movies..never to be heard again outside of it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  2. Jeyl

Jeyl Master Member

We are not authorized to see those images.

3. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

About R2,....I remember noticing that he sounded completely different in ROTJ,.....B.Burtt must have made a load new noises for him......I remember mentioning this on OriginalTrilogy.com where everyone pointed out that I was just plain wrong & that R2 sounded exactly as he did in the previous films ......including Adywan

Glad to hear theres someone else who thinks there was a difference

....3PO......I've seen those images millions of times & never noticed the straight wires,....probably just a new lighter costume & they didn't copy the mess over,....(OCD maybe?)

J

KrangPrime likes this.
  4. Lord Boron

Lord Boron Sr Member

Once Luke became a big shot Commander, he could afford to have his wires straightened out. Speaking of rank, why is Lando a General. He help save Han and they make him a freak' General for it (and don't give me any EU nonsense!)

5. cboath

cboath Master Member

If i had to guess, the only way to get him on board.

Lando, join the cause...fight the empire!

Meh...pass

We'll make you an officer. A Captain.

Yeah, still, pass.

Would what it take to get you on board?

General?

Done.

Or, he played them a game of sabacc for it :)

6. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

I was watching Shadow of Malevolence recently. ever notice there is a theme in there that kind of resembles Star Trek three and the stealing of the enterprise?

I think it was right around where they are traveling around the nebula.. in Seige of Lothal, there is also very clearly a music shot that matches BTTF 2 where marty roams around alternate 1985.

7. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why can't we let this die with dignity and grace?

8. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Why does the syringe on the interrogation droid that Vader have Roman numerals on it when it shod be in an alien language?

9. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Same reason everything was originally written in English on everything, before the dark days. before the special editions.

10. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Someone have a good price on a used XP-38?

11. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

When Yoda was young was he Kermit the Frog?

Sym-Cha likes this.
  12. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

If an AT-ST crushes some Ewoks on Endor and nobody is around to hear does it make a sound?

Sym-Cha likes this.
  13. The Mad Professor

The Mad Professor Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Oddly similar to how they got Billy Dee Williams into the role to begin with. Supposedly, he turned them down flat, but they kept asking. Someone asked what it would take to get him into the role, and he replied that he wanted to wear a cape, thinking that a cape would look out of place on anyone other than Vader. They agreed.

Yes. A muffled squishy-crunchy noise.

14. batguy

batguy Sr Member

giphy.gif

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  15. halliwax

halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

my question is "was obiwan's attire in ANH meant to be a jedi uniform, or is that tattoonie gear"

Axlotl and Inquisitor Peregrinus like this.
  16. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Since the Jedis were wearing robes in the prequels I would guess it's Jedi attire - which begs the question - if Obi Wan was keeping a low profile from the Empire why would he be going around wearing his uniform? And why would he strode into Mos Eisley dressed as a Jedi around when the place is crawling with stormtroopers.

17. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It was Tatooine gear. Owen dressed like that. Half the people in Mos Eisley dressed like that.

It wasn't until they robed Yoda similarly that it became a Jedi uniform.

18. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

Owen wasn't wearing a brown hooded bathrobe, was he?

19. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, yes, he was. He never had the hood up, and it was a lighter color, but yes.

Attached Files:

Falk, Solo4114 and dascoyne like this.
  20. Jedi-72

Jedi-72 Sr Member

R2 DEFINITELY sounds different in ROTJ. Not only are there new sounds in his vocabulary, but his "voice" is very different. Processed much differently. I don't know what kinds of effects they employed, but in Jedi he sounds much more digital and less mechanical.

21. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

And, thankfully, he was wearing something under it. :D

22. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Because tattooine, for some reason, is the jedi holy ground

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

23. harrisonp

harrisonp Well-Known Member

the planets core is actually a giant Kyber crystal :ninja

astroboy likes this.
  24. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

And the Empire somehow never thought to look for the last Jedi there.

25. Darth Lars

Darth Lars Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

No. Kermit the Frog is his father. Yoda is the illegitimate child of him and Miss Piggy. George Lucas can be heard saying so in a BTS documentary ...

AJK001 and Sym-Cha like this.
  26. Probe Droid

Probe Droid Master Member

But Kenobi still had his Jedi underwear on. You just can't get the good stuff like that on Tattooine. He tried the local drawers but they rode up his crack and he'd be trying to pull it out when no one was looking and the Jawas were always laughing at him. It was terrible.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  27. KrangPrime

KrangPrime Master Member

simple answer, no ;o)
    [​IMG]

28. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Statler : 'So certain are you?'

[​IMG]

Waldorf : 'No ... but it would explain why he spoke bacon ... eh backwards!'

Chaim

mugatu and NeoRutty like this.
  29. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

And Grover is in there somewhere- because in Jedi, Frank Oz forgot how to do the voice and we got Grover.

KrangPrime and Sym-Cha like this.
  30. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Inquisitor Peregrinus Master Member

Regarding the Tatooine/Jedi thing, that's bugged me for ages. Especially because, in the behind-the-scenes stuff for ROTJ, George made such a point to Mark about his black duds being "more Jedi-like"...

--Jonah

clancampbell likes this.
  31. halliwax

never heard that before. I was always curious at the time of ANH if Lucas though of bens cloths to be a old Jedi wardrobe.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck maybe that's why obiwan choose to hide on tatoonie, they all look like Jedi! LOL

32. Inquisitor Peregrinus

One of the old behind-the-scenes films... I think it was From Star Wars to Jedi. One of the bits shown is Mark's fitting for his ROTJ costume, and he and George are chatting back and forth about it.

--Jonah

33. Krull

Krull Sr Member

I never thought about it before but after watching the phantom menace I was thinking that all the Jedi look like a lot of the folks on tatoonie or is it the people there look like Jedi? or is it just Lucas being Lucas? i.e. seeming to make it up as he goes along and going back years later to fix it with CGI?

Just face it 'ol George created something with SW but the man is a bit of a hack and his stories resemble a shotgun patterning board-all full of holes.

34. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's a question even Steven Sansweet couldn't answer.
    In ESB right before Han gets dipped, Chewie freaks out and starts thrashing stormtroopers. Boba Fett raiser his rifle to take him out and Vader reaches up and forces his rifle down to prevent him from firing.
    Why?

35. robn1

robn1 Master Member

^Because he wanted them taken alive.

36. JLeezy23

JLeezy23 Sr Member

ANH: Robes and hoods to cover from the suns would be very popular, look at the jawas! Tusken raiders had tan robes, mostly any robes that would be natural colors to blend in with the environment would be used on any planet. Since most planets have brown/tan, the Jedi used these colors of their robes to use the environment to their advantage, ninjas lol.

ESB: Chewie needed to feel pain, just as Han did as he was being burned/poked. Send Luke more bad vibes to sense through the force and he'll show up there faster.

My question: How come droids arent welcome in bars?

37. The Mad Professor

Don't know the original reason, but someone later explained that it's due to a lot of anti-droid sentiment following the Clone Wars.

38. Inquisitor Peregrinus

Droids don't drink. Just take up space paying customers could be filling.

And yeah, George seemed to have forgotten by ESB that Obi-Wan was dressed like that because he was just dressing like the locals, only to remember when dressing Luke for ROTJ, only to forget again when dressing Anakin's Force ghost. *sigh*

--Jonah

clancampbell and Reelo like this.
  39. halliwax

I never put that together, thats awesome!

40. Megamicrofish

Megamicrofish Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Why were there so many platforms and walkways (with sheer drops) with no safety rails?

Reelo likes this.
  41. DakGibralter

DakGibralter Member

That seems to make sense, but the Mos Eisley bartender says, "we don't serve their kind," which implies both prejudice and that the droids would order something if the bartender wouldn't refuse. What they would order, I have no idea.

Although many Earth bartenders judge patrons who want to charge their phones behind the bar, so maybe it's that.

42. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

Because Vader built 3PO and he didn't want him hurt. Lucas knew what he was doing the whole time. Even though there are production photos of Luke and Leia looking romantically into each others eyes in Empire costumes...

43. binkleywalker

binkleywalker Sr Member

44. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The way I saw it, bars, especially THIS bar, lots of private conversations, promises and deals, are made in dark, shadowy places with lots of alcohol to impede judgement. Now let's let droids in. Alcohol doesn't affect them. They are walking talking recording devices that can calculate numbers like nobody's business. The perfect witness with total recal complete with video. Any form of betting is out. And I'm certain Han and Chewie would be less than pleased to have had 3-PO sitting with them with his constant chatter,citing odds!

45. JiminSTLouis

JiminSTLouis Sr Member

46. cboath

cboath Master Member

OSHA didn't exist a long long time ago in galaxy far far away... :)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  47. dascoyne

dascoyne Master Member

That's got me thinking about C3PO.

In ANH at Obi Wan's house C3PO offers to shut himself off after his oil bath so we know he can power down at will. But in ESB in the asteroid field Leia tells him to switch off but he blatantly ignores that order.

In ANH Luke asks C3PO to tell him about the battles he's been in but the droid avoids the discussion by saying he's not very good at telling stories. Of course in ROTJ he's telling the Ewoks stories with a multimedia presentation. So he blew off another direct order from his "master" in ANH.

And which character abuses R2D2 the most? C3PO, of course. He even bashes and kicks the little droid and calls him names, like "scrappile."

C3PO is just an a-hole!

48. The Mad Professor

No, C3PO is just a grumpy old geezer.

Think about it...

1) He's really old. Older than Episode I. Given there were Threepio-style protocol droids aboard the Trade Federation vessel, it stands to reason that there are entire production lines of these things. When Anakin "built" him, he didn't design and build him from the ground up. He just cobbled together a bunch of different parts he salvaged.

2) He can't remember things he should be able to remember.

3) He's abusive to his best friend, who is equally as crotchedy as he is.

4) He ignores what his masters (aka the people who take care of him) tell him to do.

5) He loves sharing stories of "the good old days" to people who will listen (aka The Ewoks).

Zombie_61 likes this.
  49. astroboy

astroboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Let's talk about the elephant in the room....the blind spot on the millennium falcon. Seriously. How does anyone see anything over the left side? For that matter, shouldn't we see the mandible from the cockpit shots?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

50. Wolfsburg

Wolfsburg Sr Member

I'm pretty sure it was just originally just Tatooine gear or perhaps later "Jedi in hiding" gear, considering Yoda's attire too. Regardless, I don't think it was initially meant to be the standard apparel of the Jedi in their prime. I seem to recall during preproduction of the prequels, there was a lot of discussion and concept art exploring what Jedi wore, and I think some even depicted armor, similar to what we saw in TCW (and yet strangely never see in the movies). George ultimately went with the old robes, which makes it seem rather silly that Obi-wan is hiding yet openly wearing Jedi sashes and robes.

I always liked this scene just because it does seem a little mysterious and ambiguous and as far as I know it's never been explained. I think I did read speculation once that all the gas and vapors seen in the freezing chamber might be very flammable and a blaster shot would've blown them all up. Haha!

I remember when it was announced that Chewie would appear in ROTS, there was a lot of speculation that he and Anakin might share some scenes together and the ESB scene would be a reference to Vader not wanting to see his old friend hurt. lol!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015