Star Wars Launch Bay Opens @ Disneyland

Okay, back on topic. I LOVE that Disney appreciated the place models have in the heritage of the Star Wars movies enough to commission the replicas and feature them so prominently in the design of the Launch Bay. Enough so to even have models built of some of the craft that were CGI in the movies. As someone that spent the better part of two decades in the model shop this is a wonderful celebration of that era of visual effects.

(And, of course, I am envious of the guys that got the job!)

My critique of the paint jobs on the models is in no way a criticism of the talents of the folks that built them. Overall the models are great and Guests at the Park are loving them. As to accuracy, who the f' cares?! Every model made now from Bandai kit to hand crafted Studio Scale replica is an artistic interpretation of the original. Each will have unique differences based on available reference information and construction decisions made by the model maker. All are valid and I maintain that none are really any better than any other.

I'm really happy that this kind of display exists in a major theme park. Looking forward to seeing the work in person one day.

Keep the pictures coming, fellas!

there are some incredibly talented and creative folks here. But like any human group - not everyone always gets along. That being said I appreciated Steve's message one that I think is constructive. In my opinion life too short to hold grudges... I hope that all of the parties involved can cease poking each other and then maybe - build some more incredible replicas :D.

Jedi Dade

Okay, as the creator of this Topic is will ask, once more, politely. KEEP ON TOPIC!!! :angry

If you want to discuss other member's histories please take it elsewhere.

Man, I did all that work on the slave, I don't even get a credit. Much less a thank you.
Just the usual, we can't use it because(long list of excuses here, but we used it anyway and we are screwing you over).

Considering Disney got well over a year's worth of work in the space of 6 to7 months I'd say the models came out really great

PCArchivist said;
I think we've concluded they are all replicas. Be curious how they came about (process, [molded? 3D printed? What?], ...

Yes to all of the above; including some state of the art reverse engineering , some voo-doo rituals , spit, chewing-gum and some thread-bare twine

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah I forgot to mention the liberal use of Lego Bricks & Play-do

Last edited:
With that many replicas its a very good bet that where an existing kit would server the purpose it was used... it is a shame that the artists that made the kits are not getting mentioned...they deserve at least that much.

At least that's my - TOTAL GUESS.

Jedi Dade

I just marvel at the fact that Disney put this display together. Does everything about Star Wars have to become a ***** storm of egos flaming other egos and people dredging up past umbrages and supposed slights. It seems that everyone is so invested in their own opinion and ego and feud that they can't see the fabulous opportunity everyone now has to go to a Disney park and see tons of cool stuff that was unavailable before. Don't let every topic on the rpf be seen as an opportunity to start a fight or criticize.

Indeed, something like 3 million people per year at each park are going to see all these models. That's an amazing opportunity and achievement.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back