Limited Run Star Wars Ep VII Force Awakens TIE Pilot Helmets, Chest Boxes, and Armor

Interested in the Raw Cast helmet with aerators, visor attachment, bubble lenses, and greeblies, if this is still going on?

This is still very much going on.

Anyone on here have any leads for the gloves or the fabric pouches on the belt for this build? Kinda coming up empty on my search!

I'm working on the pouches too. If you find a good pair of gloves to use, I'd love to know about them. At a glance, they looked like motorcycle gloves for warm weather, but I might be wrong.

I'm interested as well....do you have an idea when the project would be finalized?

Soon...

Here's a photo of the helmet prototype from a while ago:

Since then, the bottom of the HUD/visor/lid thing has been ground out so that it'll sit lower on the top of the helmet. I've also smoothed out a few trouble spots on the chin and around the seam lines.

I'm giving this helmet quite a bit of attention before I mold it. I'm aiming to get everything as perfect as I can.

In other news, the longer shoulder plate is nearly ready to mold. Here's my 5'10" tall friend Matt modeling it:

The gauntlets need a tiny bit more smoothing as well, but they're nearly ready to go under the rubber. I'm hoping to have the first complete set of cast parts in the coming week, so start setting aside cash for your final payments.

If anybody else would like to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with payment info.

Last edited:
Hey! Nice work. Have the cash ready for you! so as soon as you want to ship I'll pay ya!

For the gloves most people are buying their own. In the picture I'm including, you'll see there is a plate/ thicker region on the top, and a buckle on the wrist. Found some decent Moto gloves with minimal Sean lines in eBay with a gauntlet to cover more of your wrist so no skin shows between arm plate and glove. Buckle with nylon webbing is easy. Plate is a little tougher. I bought some 1/4 inch rubber on eBay, and am going to trim and shape it to the exact shape/thickness. There is a thread on Facebook where someone else is making them to be available for purchase. image.jpegimage.jpegThis one is a prototype mock up with cardboard. But you get the idea.

on the shoulder plate, isn't there supposed to be a curve on the side edge like pictured below?image.pngimage.png

Also, you're not offering a neck seal for a little extra are you!?

Last edited:
on the shoulder plate, isn't there supposed to be a curve on the side edge like pictured below? Also, you're not offering a neck seal for a little extra are you!?

You're correct about the bottom edge of the shoulder plate. I'll be trimming it before I spray on a gloss coat and polish the piece up for molding.

I haven't made a neckseal prototype. I was thinking I'd sew one up out of shiny fabric instead of wearing a rubber choker around my neck.

If you can find the glove seller you mentioned, please send me a link.

Fabulous work, my friend!
I am interested in just the armor pieces (chest, back, shoulders and forearms) fully finished.
Could you please PM some pricing info?
Many thanks in advance!

Helmet is all but done. Visor needs a bit more tweaking:

(Yes, I know it's on crooked.)

Here's another angle:

Molding the shoulder today:

If anybody else would like to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with payment info.

Finally finished shaping the shoulder armor. Yesterday I got it blocked up for molding and the gelcoat was applied:

Today I'll lay up the fiberglass mold and, if all goes well, I may even get the first copy of the part.

In other news, my friend Matt did some more work on the ends of the visor/HUD/lid thingamajig so now it fits properly:

It still needs a bit more filling and sanding to neaten up the edges before it's ready to mold, but it's getting close:

So that's coming along nicely.

My latest shipment of silicone has arrived, so the moldmaking will begin just as soon as I'm satisfied with the shape of this helmet

Last edited:
3D printed tusks:

Spent some more time smoothing out the visor last night, but I neglected to take any photos.

In other news, the mold for the correctly-shaped shoulder came out great:

I'll be pulling copies of that piece today.

So to take stock at this point:

-Chest, back, shoulders, and chest boxes have all been molded.
-Correctly-sized helmet and visor attachment are in the final smoothing stage and mold making will begin shortly.
-Aerators and helmet greeblies have been printed and need a light sanding and gloss coat before molding.
-Gauntlets still need a bit more reshaping before they'll be ready to mold.
-Hoses are on hand and ready to ship.
-Lenses will be formed once I start pulling helmet castings out of the mold.

So everything is coming along nicely.

If anyone else wants to be added to the list, please post here and I'll PM you with payment details.

Test fitting the first shoulder on my friend Matt:

He's about 5'10 and a little over 200lbs.

Here it is on me:

I'm 5'7" tall and about 175lbs. Unfortunately, I taped it onto my shoulder wrong and it's hanging too low. But you get the idea.

​If anyone else wants to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with the details.

deposit sent

Got it. Thank you.

Looking good! Any updates?

Absolutely. Here's the helmet prototype in black primer from a couple of days ago:

Before molding, I gave it a nice gloss coat:

Last night I got a good start on the mold. Here's the print coat being poured on:

So right now it looks about like this:

I'll be thickening the mold today, then let it cure overnight before I lay up the mothermold tomorrow. With any luck I'll have a casting out of the mold before I call it a night tomorrow night. Worst cast, it'll be the first thing I do on Friday morning.

The visor/HUD/lid attachment still needs a bit more polish before I'll be ready to mold it.

If anybody else wants to get in on this run, please post here and I'll PM you with details.

I imagine your guys' workshop pumping out casts and stacking them up like the OT production pictures. imo shawns tie helmets are the closest to screen accurate, which is why im excited for this

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back