Star Wars Credits and Coinage - References and Recreation

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Muddler

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Can’t wait to get the rest of these coins ...coming along nicely. When you offering a run?
Yea... what he said... :unsure:
I'm working on it! :notworthy:
I really like to get these coins right. Still hoping for transparent acrylic glass in the perfect color, but at the moment it looks like this is not going to happen.
So I'm not quite sure how to handle the issue with the transparent centers. I guess the best for you people would be, if everybody could just choose which color to mount in. (either the " a little too dark red", or the "a little too orange") ;)

Will keep you posted!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

division 6

Master Member
The 7 minute Mandalorian video had some sort of Mandalorian Chit.
Not entirely sure if it was suppose to be money or something else.

Potroclo

The 7 minute Mandalorian video had some sort of Mandalorian Chit.
Not entirely sure if it was suppose to be money or something else.
Oh yes! I'ld love to see Muddler's "pucks", I think that's what they call them.
Edit: oh you mean the chit, the card. That would be nice too. I'm rewatching the stolen footage and although it's really bad quality, you can make out an interesting feature. When he deposits the pucks on the table they don't just lay there, they have some kind of mechanism so when you drop them the upper part slowly lowers onto the table, like a closelly fit two part piston kind of mechanism. Or maybe I'm wrong and it's just the puck drop-spinning and the poor video quality fooled me... Also the beskar would be an easy prop to replicate. We don't even have a trailer officially and there's already so much!:lol:

Last edited:

Muddler

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Oh yes! I'ld love to see Muddler's "pucks", I think that's what they call them.
Edit: oh you mean the chit, the card. That would be nice too. I'm rewatching the stolen footage and although it's really bad quality, you can make out an interesting feature. When he deposits the pucks on the table they don't just lay there, they have some kind of mechanism so when you drop them the upper part slowly lowers onto the table, like a closelly fit two part piston kind of mechanism. Or maybe I'm wrong and it's just the poor video quality. Also the beskar would be an easy prop to replicate. We don't even have a trailer officially and there's already so much!:lol:
Yeah! Can't wait to see some detailed pix! I guess the credit "pucks" and the Beskar ingot will definitely be something I'd like to do! :)

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Thought I would add this to the reference base...

Since Batuu is considered part of the canon, these credit coins make a great addition to the coin collection. The pro is that you can use these to buy items at Galaxy’s Edge to get into the spirit of of the immersive experience. It appears to be good outside the park at other Disney locations. I guess anyone who takes Disney Store gift cards can utilize these.

The con is that the other side of the coin is not very Star Warsie due to reality.

The other good thing is that these are basically free if you are willing to to spend at least $100 on Disney products or services. And let’s face it, you know your going to.

I would probably get these with the bear minimum of $100 and then get multiples like 5. This way after vacation, I have a stack for display in my collection.

PHOTOS: Exclusive Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge “Batuuan Spira” Metal Coin Disney Gift Card
May 31, 2019
edge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_3-990x556.jpg

This post may contain affiliate links; please read the disclosure for more information.
We’ve seen a number of cool, out-of-this-world things throughout the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland, but this find really takes the Batuu-bon cake. Presenting the Galaxy’s Edge “Batuuan Spira” gift card:

dge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_1-1200x900.jpg

It comes in this fancy sueded case with the Black Spire logo and a geometric tab.to keep your gift card safe.

dge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_2-1200x900.jpg

Except it actually isn’t a gift card. It’s a credit medallion.

dge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_3-1200x900.jpg

The hexagonal coin features a Black Spire logo and the words in “BSO” (for Black Spire Outpost) and “Spira” in Aurebesh. The weathered antique gold coin looks like it’s been traded around the galaxy and back, but now it can be yours by just loading it with a balance of $100 in gift card credit.

dge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_6-1200x900.jpg

The back of the weathered suede case tells of the Batuuan Spira, the ancient currency of Black Spire Outpost.

dge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_4-900x1200.jpg

The back of each coin has a scannable barcode that merchants at each store scan to deduct from your balance. It’s funny that they worked in all of the boilerplate onto the top half of the gift coin as well.

dge-gift-card-coin-opening-day-may-2019_5-1200x900.jpg

The bottom of the coin features the Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge logo.

black-spire-gift-card-900x1200.jpg

Given that you’re bound to spend at least $100 in the land between food, beverage, and merchandise, this is a must-have item for anyone looking to add even more immersion to their experience in Batuu. The gift card can also be used at other Disney destinations in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico. We found it at the registers inside of Droid Depot.

Will you be picking one up and going on a Black Spire shopping spree? (We sure did.)

division 6

Master Member
Looking at it, it looks like someone just did a sloppy cut out of styrene logo and text.

Doing your own mock up would be easy.
Do a custom back and cast up as many as you want.

Muddler

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
View attachment 1030058View attachment 1030059
Proof of concept.
I made this over the last few evenings out of 6 layers of scrap styrene from a for sale sign.

Looks better in person with a shiny metallic effect from gold rub n buff.
Great work!
My only worry for recreating those items is, that they resemble an actual Disney-brand item...
That's what held me back so far from doing my own version. Has anybody ever had actual problems with Lucasfilms / Disney with anything he made?

Your's look cool, though!;)(y)

division 6

Master Member
Thanks.

It's done just for display.
The design is simple enough and I don't plan on visiting the park anytime in the near future.

I plan to make my own "custom" coins this was to see if it will work.

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
My only worry for recreating those items is, that they resemble an actual Disney-brand item...
That's what held me back so far from doing my own version. Has anybody ever had actual problems with Lucasfilms / Disney with anything he made?
How’s it different from any other prop or costume replica that’s made or even sold around here?

Muddler

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Thanks.

It's done just for display.
The design is simple enough and I don't plan on visiting the park anytime in the near future.

I plan to make my own "custom" coins this was to see if it will work.
How’s it different from any other prop or costume replica that’s made or even sold around here?
Sorry, I didn't mean to appear too critical!
I just wanted to explain why I'm personally not trying to recreate those certain coins to offer them in a run (which I was admittedly tempted to, because I really like the design).
I hope and still think that all the stuff we are doing here for our own private delightment is of no real concern to Disney.
The only difference that made me hesitate in this special case is, that this is an actual item you can buy in a license-store.
Most of the props we are building here are items which are not offered as official licensed products (at least not in the remarkable accuracy that is characteristic for this community...)
And if I really tried to copy that coin as closely as possible (at least the front side), there might be a potential for trouble.
That's all.
And as I said: just concerning my own efforts in this regard. I didn't mean to spoil the fun for anybody.

@Division-6 : I'd still be happy to see how your coins turn out! Because that's exactly the kind of stuff that belongs into this thread ;-)

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Most of the props we are building here are items which are not offered as official licensed products (at least not in the remarkable accuracy that is characteristic for this community...)
I’ve been in this community since 1999 and I can tell you that your statement is incorrect. There have been some studios like Sony who were a bit more touchy. Back in 2001, the owner of Master Replicas (who at the time was a member) came along and made a lot of scary threats. But for the most part, Disney and LFL have left fan made items alone as long as they don’t make a lot of noise. If they wanted too, they could shut down a lot of EBay auctions and Etsy stores.

Muddler

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’ve been in this community since 1999 and I can tell you that your statement is incorrect. There have been some studios like Sony who were a bit more touchy. Back in 2001, the owner of Master Replicas (who at the time was a member) came along and made a lot of scary threats. But for the most part, Disney and LFL have left fan made items alone as long as they don’t make a lot of noise. If they wanted too, they could shut down a lot of EBay auctions and Etsy stores.
Oh, wow...
I wouldn't have thought that there has been such trouble with Master Replicas.
So the more reason to keep things quiet and try not to upset anyone at Disney or LFL...
Thanks for the clarification!

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Oh, wow...
I wouldn't have thought that there has been such trouble with Master Replicas.
So the more reason to keep things quiet and try not to upset anyone at Disney or LFL...
Thanks for the clarification!
It wasn't so much the company as one of the owners and I have no proof but I think the treats were more ego driven than anything. I don't think he ws afraid of sale losses (items were LE and would sell out anyway) It was more about having others make coming along and making a better product.

However, if you think this board is so sort of secret, you are sadly mistaken. The studios know. Not only that, but you have people here who are in the industry. They might have started in the industry and come here or been here and were able to get employed in the industry. They are currently making items for running shows/movies that others a replicating and selling now.

You don't think they don't know about your project thread and Esty store? Trust me, they know. It would be no problem to serve you and many others with a C&D if they wanted to. LFL has understood that these types of fan made items and sales are positive to the fandom and benefit them. Even with Disney nw a factor, nothing has changed. In the past, Sony was touchy about Ghostbuster items but you don't really hear much about it. When I was running my own board, I was once contacted by Lego because someone on the board was making a human sized replica of the lightsaber the Lego mini figures held. The actually had no problem with the item itself, they simply did not want the name "Lego" attached to the sale. They even suggested the seller call it a "building brick" in place of "Lego". I assured them they did not have to pursue the seller and I would contact them and work out the changes, which I did. See... if these things were a problem, the board itself would be under pressure as well to shut down projects but instead, we have a forum dedicated to it.

Muddler

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It wasn't so much the company as one of the owners and I have no proof but I think the treats were more ego driven than anything. I don't think he ws afraid of sale losses (items were LE and would sell out anyway) It was more about having others make coming along and making a better product.

However, if you think this board is so sort of secret, you are sadly mistaken. The studios know. Not only that, but you have people here who are in the industry. They might have started in the industry and come here or been here and were able to get employed in the industry. They are currently making items for running shows/movies that others a replicating and selling now.

You don't think they don't know about your project thread and Esty store? Trust me, they know. It would be no problem to serve you and many others with a C&D if they wanted to. LFL has understood that these types of fan made items and sales are positive to the fandom and benefit them. Even with Disney nw a factor, nothing has changed. In the past, Sony was touchy about Ghostbuster items but you don't really hear much about it. When I was running my own board, I was once contacted by Lego because someone on the board was making a human sized replica of the lightsaber the Lego mini figures held. The actually had no problem with the item itself, they simply did not want the name "Lego" attached to the sale. They even suggested the seller call it a "building brick" in place of "Lego". I assured them they did not have to pursue the seller and I would contact them and work out the changes, which I did. See... if these things were a problem, the board itself would be under pressure as well to shut down projects but instead, we have a forum dedicated to it.
Thanks for the detailed information! I already imagined that this is how the industry is handling this community. But getting it confirmed by a longtime member is a really valuable insight!