Star Wars Credits and Coinage - References and Recreation

Anyone planning on replicating the New Republic coin from the last Mandalorian episode?
Has anyone been working on any Calamari Flan? Those were neat...

Yeah, I'm actually quite eager to do all the coinage from The Mandalorian!
For the calamari Flan I'm trying to take glossy premium backgammon stones as a casting master and then swirl blue and white colored resin together. We'll see how these come out...
For the New Republic coin: Is there a way for you to share some more screenshots? (Unfortunately there's no (legal) way to watch the series over here in Germany...)

There are a few sellers on eBay selling the Galaxy’s Edge, Batuu Spira coin. The listing shows, 49 sold, more than 10 available.

You know it’s employees stealing these and selling them. I’m surprised Disney doesn’t find out who these sellers are and terminate them.

Yeah, I'm actually quite eager to do all the coinage from The Mandalorian!
For the calamari Flan I'm trying to take glossy premium backgammon stones as a casting master and then swirl blue and white colored resin together. We'll see how these come out...
For the New Republic coin: Is there a way for you to share some more screenshots? (Unfortunately there's no (legal) way to watch the series over here in Germany...)
Nice!!! I'ld really like to see your take on those, they seem tricky!
Here's another screenshot of that NR coin, but I'm afraid there's no better pics: it only appears a fraction of a second... .
NRcredit2.jpg
Have some calamari flans too :)
CalamariFlan.jpg

In ANH Han tosses a coin to the bar tender and apologises for the mess. Anyone know what that coin was? If so, do you have an image for it?

Hello, can anyone help me with the dimensions of the coins? I am having troubles. The dimansions different coins imperial, and republic credits from mandalorian and solo will be very appreciated. Thinking of creating some laser cut files for them in this quarantine days.

IMG_20200531_211926.jpg
IMG_20200531_212016.jpg

IMG_20200531_212125.jpg
IMG_20200531_212055.jpg

So, finally here's my take on the Calamari Flan Coins. I've been experimenting quite a lot with different mixtures of resin to end up with something that felt close enough:

- I've taken clear transparent resin as a base and then added just a droplet of white pigment to give it a milky but still translucent aspect.
- After about 1 hour I start stirring blue colored resin in. (The resin I use has got a curing time of 4 hours).
- I don't pour in the blue, because that ended up being to extreme. I just dip a small wooden skewer into bluecolored resin and carefully stir it in with a slow spiraled motion. I might repeat this 2 or 3 times.
- After curing there's no additional painting necessary. The blue swirls result in an overall bluish look (although the basic color ist just milky white).

I might experiment a bit more with the timing of the "blue-tainting", but so far I'm already pretty happy with the result. :)

Has anyone tried making the flan from silicone or something else with flexibility?

Yes. I've tried some flexible two-component resin, which is originally used to fill up electronic distributor-boxes and the like. But that stuff is so damned sticky, it ruined my mold...

IMG_20200531_223105.jpg

I even tried release-spray, talkum powder - you name it.
And this material isn't really suitable for mixing in color.
Usual silicone was too viscous. But I'm also looking for alternatives.

If anybody has got an idea what material could be used, I'll be glad to try!

This just made my day!

IMG_20200606_195528.jpg
IMG_20200606_195558.jpg

I used some very soft special-effect silicone (used for facial prosthetics and the like), and it actually worked!
The Flan feel like jello-sweets, but are surprisingly durable. (Really had to hold myself back to not just swallow it! :p)

As the dynamic comes across better in motion:

Looks cool, but I wonder how we decided that they should be rubbery? I never got that impression from the episode. In fact when Mando picked them up, they were firm.

Looks cool, but I wonder how we decided that they should be rubbery? I never got that impression from the episode. In fact when Mando picked them up, they were firm.

In fact they shouldn't. This is more of a fun experiment. I'd also say that the screen-used items were solid resin. But they added this funny squishy sound when the Flan were put on the table. I guess that's why we came up with the idea that "real" Calamari Flan were some sort of jellylike organic polymer or whatever.;)

That looks amazing but Wouldn't the silicone break down over time?

It surely will degenerate a lot faster than resin. But at least the product description for this special silicon states that it should be "long-lasting and durable" - for what it's worth...)
As I said above: It's more meant for fun (and playing around with these definitely is!)

In fact they shouldn't. This is more of a fun experiment. I'd also say that the screen-used items were solid resin. But they added this funny squishy sound when the Flan were put on the table. I guess that's why we came up with the idea that "real" Calamari Flan were some sort of jellylike organic polymer or whatever.;)

Oh, now I get it. I never heard the squishy sound.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back