Star Wars Credits and Coinage - References and Recreation

Lightened it up and removed the blue and knocked down the cyan.
1685645491774lt.png

Has anyone tried making these?
There are a few metal 3D printed versions floating about on Ebay, but all the ones I've seen have serious flaws (sadly the ones used in canon and in official merch often do too - competence with spelling and numbers has never been LucasArts' or Disney's strong suit).

The best coinage and credits I've seen are made by "Hyperspace Props", although they are not perfect.

Luckily, most people can't read Aurebesh or the tech numeral system, so I guess it doesn't matter all that much whether the writing or numbers make sense.

Joining the Sabacc chip party here. I've designed a few over the years but am now getting back to actually finishing some. Been wanting to use them for our Sabacc games as well as some Edge of the Empire sessions.

I pored over all the references I could dig up and saw a particular coin in the special features of Solo. There are a few shots of the Sabacc table with all the coinage in all their glory. It's this 9-point polygon that I've only seen in gold and possibly silver.

I printed a few in resin and will most likely make a two-part mold as it's double-sided. It's roughly 2" across.

Attachments

• 20230911_204609.jpg
    20230911_204609.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230911_203746.jpg
    20230911_203746.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 53
When I saw this picture...
IMG_20230912_064539.jpg

I zoomed in to check especial these chips/credits...
Screenshot_20230912-064625.png

This reminds me of something that I saw on Wookieepedia... Peggat...
Peggats_and_aurei_and_zemids.png

I cannot remember that I saw this picture somwhere in movies and/or any series?! It shows various types of currencies: peggats, aurei, and zemids.
And these in turn remind me of spray-painted poker chips...
IMG_20230912_080509.jpg

Especial the ones in the second photo above reminds me of these cheap poker chips...
IMG_20230912_080414.jpg

If that were true, these would be really cheap props. What do you think or know about my thesis?

When I saw this picture...View attachment 1738728
I zoomed in to check especial these chips/credits...
View attachment 1738729
This reminds me of something that I saw on Wookieepedia... Peggat...
View attachment 1738730
I cannot remember that I saw this picture somwhere in movies and/or any series?! It shows various types of currencies: peggats, aurei, and zemids.
And these in turn remind me of spray-painted poker chips...
View attachment 1738734
Especial the ones in the second photo above reminds me of these cheap poker chips...
View attachment 1738731
If that were true, these would be really cheap props. What do you think or know about my thesis?
I think you may be onto something here. They look really close if not exactly like them.

Joining the Sabacc chip party here. I've designed a few over the years but am now getting back to actually finishing some. Been wanting to use them for our Sabacc games as well as some Edge of the Empire sessions.

I pored over all the references I could dig up and saw a particular coin in the special features of Solo. There are a few shots of the Sabacc table with all the coinage in all their glory. It's this 9-point polygon that I've only seen in gold and possibly silver.

I printed a few in resin and will most likely make a two-part mold as it's double-sided. It's roughly 2" across.
Nice job. I'm making the crystal nonagon coin and I plan on tackling that one soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1082.JPG
    IMG_1082.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 41
Has anyone tried making these?
I'm making a version based on the ones seen in Star Wars Rebels when Zeb bets Chopper in a Sabacc game against Lando Calrissian. I added denominations so they'd be more useful in playing Sabacc. A screengrab from the scene in the show is on the left and my recreation is on the right. I'm making them in copper (1 credit), silver (5 credits), and gold (10 credits).

Attachments

• CompIdiotsArray.jpg
    CompIdiotsArray.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2155.JPG
    IMG_2155.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 44
Nice job. I'm making the crystal nonagon coin and I plan on tackling that one soon.
I've made that one as well. I'm waiting on the correct crystal. This is just a proof of concept here. A resin print painted with a buffable paint. I will begin cold-casting these in brass.

Attachments

• 20230912_082537.jpg
    20230912_082537.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 39
I didn't see this mentioned in the other thread pages, so: during the dice game on Daiyu in Kenobi, we see two types of credits: one that looks a lot like the Hyperspace Props version of the gold Republic credit, and another that very much resembles the Afay Props & Replicas bar credit (based on the Solo version but scaled down significantly). Both creators have said they are too thin to be their versions though.

Picture3.png
285666951_10227949055420083_6342850383824222089_n.jpg
Picture1.png
Picture2.png

Last edited:
This is another type of credit/item used as a stake in the lodge is the "cage crystal token." I've included a photo of the official props used in Solo.

The materials used were 16ga plain perforated steel with 3/8" on center squares. Cutting and bending it is pretty easy and straightforward. I then heat-stained it as well as brass-coated it with a brass wire brush wheel while still hot. Lastly, I used a corrosive solution used in scale modeling to simulate rust deposits and brushed off the excess residue when dry.

The base is a wooden block cut to size and stained/painted black and top-coated with a gloss varnish. The screws are M10 1" button-head torx screws with M4 washers. There are two more sizes of this token represented on the Sabacc table. One that's one square grid wider, and one that's a grid narrower. All three also have the screws/washers on the longer sides instead of the shorter ends. I went with the one pictured at the exhibit.

Now, the crystals were where I really didn't know which route to take initially. First, I wanted to grab a bunch of rocks, mold them, cast a whole lot in resin, paint them up, and be done with it. I didn't wanna deal with seams or detail-less faces on the rocks. Being a geologist, I also had a few red-colored minerals in mind but most are either expensive or just don't fit the bill in appearance. Ultimately, I decided to grab a handful of white marble gravel from the front yard and gave them a nice base coat of Rustoleum Apple Red, then dry brushed some magenta/pinkish mid-tones, and orange highlights with Vallejo paints. The dry brush step really dials down the satin finish of the base coat and makes it look like a natural mineral and not paint.

Looking at them side by side, I think it turned out great.

Attachments

• Untitled-14 copy.jpg
    Untitled-14 copy.jpg
    601.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230919_140713.jpg
    20230919_140713.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 20230919_140635.jpg
    20230919_140635.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230919_140741.jpg
    20230919_140741.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 53
This is another type of credit/item used as a stake in the lodge is the "cage crystal token." I've included a photo of the official props used in Solo.

The materials used were 16ga plain perforated steel with 3/8" on center squares. Cutting and bending it is pretty easy and straightforward. I then heat-stained it as well as brass-coated it with a brass wire brush wheel while still hot. Lastly, I used a corrosive solution used in scale modeling to simulate rust deposits and brushed off the excess residue when dry.

The base is a wooden block cut to size and stained/painted black and top-coated with a gloss varnish. The screws are M10 1" button-head torx screws with M4 washers. There are two more sizes of this token represented on the Sabacc table. One that's one square grid wider, and one that's a grid narrower. All three also have the screws/washers on the longer sides instead of the shorter ends. I went with the one pictured at the exhibit.

Now, the crystals were where I really didn't know which route to take initially. First, I wanted to grab a bunch of rocks, mold them, cast a whole lot in resin, paint them up, and be done with it. I didn't wanna deal with seams or detail-less faces on the rocks. Being a geologist, I also had a few red-colored minerals in mind but most are either expensive or just don't fit the bill in appearance. Ultimately, I decided to grab a handful of white marble gravel from the front yard and gave them a nice base coat of Rustoleum Apple Red, then dry brushed some magenta/pinkish mid-tones, and orange highlights with Vallejo paints. The dry brush step really dials down the satin finish of the base coat and makes it look like a natural mineral and not paint.

Looking at them side by side, I think it turned out great.

Those look awesome!

I don't figure they're actual currency of any sort - more the equivalent of someone tossing their partner's tennis bracelet into a poker pot - but they certainly belong in a collection of "valuables" and your result is great!

Those look awesome!

I don't figure they're actual currency of any sort - more the equivalent of someone tossing their partner's tennis bracelet into a poker pot - but they certainly belong in a collection of "valuables" and your result is great!
Thank you!! I thought that too, at first, but the fact there are at least two different sizes makes me wonder if that is something certain groups carried around. I was also thinking a spice stash. Definitely wouldn't be out of place at the lodge.

The Dented Helmet has some Great reference for the New Republic and Galactic Credits from The Mandalorian, should definitely help people with their recreations.

Currencies of the Galaxy
Yes, great photos. Thanks!
Interestingly the Calamari Flan prop doesn't have the Calamari Symbol that some replicas (including mine) have used. It looks a lot like the ones sold in the parks.

Attachments

• png-transparent-clone-wars-mon-calamari-cruiser-star-wars-wookieepedia-star-wars-blue-text-logo.png
    png-transparent-clone-wars-mon-calamari-cruiser-star-wars-wookieepedia-star-wars-blue-text-logo.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 34
  • TwoSidedFlan.JPG
    TwoSidedFlan.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
Yes, great photos. Thanks!
Interestingly the Calamari Flan prop doesn't have the Calamari Symbol that some replicas (including mine) have used. It looks a lot like the ones sold in the parks.
Somewhere around is a discussion about 6-12 months ago about that. With the actual props displayed and by going back and looking at those scenes with a new eye, the common belief is that the wave emblem was nothing more than the way light was bouncing off the reflective elements embedded in the prop coins.

Were the props rigid as well, because based on what I've seen I think the props are rigid and the squishiness is just sound effects.

I like the Galactic Credits, they seem about the same thickness as the Imperial Credits, they look like resin and are probably 3D Printed, the edge border is a lot thicker than the official replicas.

Lastly I never noticed the teeny tiny Aurebesh symbols on the back of the New Republic Credits next to the Credit Symbol, I don't think any replica has caught that.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back