Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Roy Batty, Aug 11, 2018.

1. JediMichael

JediMichael Sr Member

Didn't even know they were making another new book. I just finished the 3 books by Rinzler. Does this new book cover anything not in those other than some new pics?

2. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Bunch of never before seen pics

cjchiu and ABE like this.
  3. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

From the pics I’ve seen posted here, I don’t think I’ve seen a single square stunt blade.

4. halliwax

Nope, I’ve never seen one to begin with. Where did the story originate that the blades were triangle/square?

I too remember reading back in the day that the blades with 3 sided and 1 side of the blade wasn’t painted with movie screen material and that helped make the blade flicker more when spinning

Never seen any picture or video to back it up though?

mugatu likes this.
  5. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

I remember hearing about a three sided blade from this book
    418DV80R5XL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Though come to think about it, I don't think I've seen a picture of a three sided blade either. I think the blade just had black strip running down the length, which gives the illusion of the blade flickering.

mugatu likes this.
  6. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So far I haven't seen any behind the scenes photos but in ANH when Obi-Wan points his Lightsaber toward the camera you can see the rectangular shape of the tip of the blade. Since the blades in ANH were wooden and, for Obi-Wan's Lightsaber at least, it appears they were made from square stock and run through a Jointer to give the blades a taper resulting in the rectangular shape at the tip then they were covered with reflective material (there's a vintage interview with Mark Hamill where he says it was movie screen material and I think I've read accounts from Gary Kurtz saying the same thing) and, like JoeK3rr mentions, added the black stripe down the side. I read an interview with Gil Taylor years ago where he mentioned the blades being triangular and presented that here on the forum during a debate about the shape of the blades (again, many Centons ago). Taylor's memory of the blade being triangular is contradicted by what we see on screen but Obi-Wan's Lightsaber blade certainly seems faceted and I expect they used the same blades for Luke's.

In one of the supplemental DVD interviews Peter Diamond mentions that they were always breaking blades during that fight scene. It seems we get to the round blades once Empire goes into production and they do away with the rotating blade practical effect. I don't know if they switched to metal at this point to avoid the issues they had on ANH.

thd9791, cjchiu, mugatu and 1 other person like this.
  7. halliwax

Thanks for all this great info!!

mugatu and dcarty like this.
  8. dcarty

Just received my copy of the book! If you look at the still on page 166 you can see the shape of Kenobi's Lightsaber blade where it is square at the emitter and tapering off towards the end.

mugatu likes this.
  9. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Shame the picture on page 90 isn't bigger showing the Macrobinoculars, we might have gotten to see the wedge shaped piece.

mugatu likes this.
  10. halliwax

Checking this out right now....

11. halliwax

I can’t say I see square...

IMG_7250.jpg

12. halliwax

Vader’s looks real round as well

IMG_7251.jpg

13. dcarty

Well, we may have to agree to disagree but here is the angle that I see:

IMG_7250.jpg

mugatu and halliwax like this.
  14. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I'm thinking come payday I'm gonna need this book. I was trying to resist. You all are evil ;)

mugatu likes this.
  15. Marv

Marv Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Same at the other end too if you look close

mugatu likes this.
  16. Gregatron

Gregatron Well-Known Member

I seem to recall reading that the blades were square, but with only two (alternating) sides covered in reflective material, so as to create a “strobing” effect when spun by the motor.

17. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

We're talking a very small amount of time too. Vader's first motorized stunt they just gave up on. If the blades were turned on the rotation might also blur edges, let alone old over exposed b&W photography. In the final film, it's there though, the square profile of Obi Wan's

I don't blame them for switching for ESB.

Looks like the V2's clamp is empty there again!

18. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I received my copy. Wow! This book is immense!

IMG_6448.jpg

19. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Thanks for posting the photos guys - any decent ones showing Bob Anderson's shoulder armour from ESB?

Cheers

Jez

20. halliwax

I didn’t know there was a difference with his armor?

21. halliwax

I have a very hard time taking it off the shelf with 1 hand

roygilsing likes this.
  22. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Ordered. Again, you all are evil. Thank you (y)

roygilsing and dcarty like this.
  23. Star Wars Helmets

Am thinking the Anderson set had some alterations to allow for his size difference and/or help mobility. Isn’t the cape hook slightly different too?

Just looking for anything that might help id'ing this armour, tells etc.

Cheers

Jez

24. halliwax

no idea, i was hoping for you to teach me something new lol :D

25. Gregatron

CC2480F4-5F0A-42F2-AB56-337CCFA48C06.jpeg I find myself wondering if Anderson was used in some non-stunt shots. This does not look like Prowse, to me. The person in the suit doesn’t fill it out (particularly the shoulder bells) the way Prowse does.

On the flipside, we do know for sure that the stunt helmet was used for some closeup/hero shots, too.

87C4AD5C-CCA4-43B8-AF0D-3A3A1C8E0E30.jpeg

Star Wars Helmets likes this.
  26. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

So, check out these photos posted by oblagon. I was taking a picture of my K-23 blaster in progress and the over-exposed flash did cool things to my V2. thats Rose-gold sponged over a the original black. Used the tip from the hoth blaster's flash hider to play a trick on the eyes and get that color. I also just got an Ace antique gold spray for my yuma to better match these archive book photos.. we'll see about that one..

kV3.jpeg
    K-23.jpg kv2-1.jpg

27. Star Wars Helmets

Yes I completely agree with you, I’m sure that’s the case. It makes sense that some of non-combat shots Anderson filmed were used in the final cut

Cheers

Jez

28. halliwax

In the Netflix documentary “I am your father” prowse goes into detail about how he was on set less and less for ESB and RoTJ

And come RoTJ he was in his trailer most of the time...

Anderson was in a padded suit, and they even had Anderson attempt the palpatine throw scene, but he wasn’t strong enough to lift paps with 1 arm

That’s when George sent someone to ask prowse if he thinks he could do it.. prowse did it first take

thd9791 likes this.
  29. Joek3rr

Joek3rr Sr Member

I wonder if that has to do with the fact that he kinda let the cat out of the bag about Vader being Luke's father?

30. halliwax

That’s false claims... and a rumor, prowse mentioned in a interview/article back in 78 to British press, “wouldn’t it be a kind of twist if Luke and Vader were related”

That snow balled into all kinds of rumors that prowse let out this huge secret when in fact George never mentioned the relationship and I personally didn’t believe he even thought of the relationship between the 2 at the time

To back this up, prowse got very anger when he saw the empire strikes back debut with the cast and Lucas there in the theater..

Prowse’s line was “Obi-Wan killed your father..” and prowse has said on record at the time he believed Vader was lying to Luke

Lucas only told Hamill that the real line was what it is today, and he only told Hamill that because he wanted to have Hamill pull off a very heart breaking scene...

Prowse was enraged that Lucas didn’t trust him with this information

I don’t believe anyone other then Lucas, fishner, Kurtz and Hamill knew of it back then..

I’m not saying or defending prowse.. he is no angel..

But there was more bad politics involved that kept prowse locked in his trailer.. but that’s a thread for a whole other day..

31. vader45

vader45 Sr Member

Regarding the stunt helmet, the entire sequence from Luke in ROTJ hiding to vader throwing the emperor is the stunt helmet. A hero only came into play when Prowse did the throw stunt for a few frames since Prowse claimed Anderson could not do it. I guess Anderson refused to wear a hero, then again the lighting was very dark. I know the entire sequence was all Anderson aside the throw stunt, because the helmet changes from stunt to hero and the fact that Prowse stated that he did the throw stunt. I feel Anderson was used more then we realized at the end of rotj. Look at Anderson's arms in the bts photos with out the armor. He looks very padded compared to him from esb. I think Lucas was trying to phase out Prowse. But now I'm getting off topic! Lol

That is why I argued the hero mpp could have been used in the duel.

I believe the armor in esb was modified for Anderson to a certain point. It is still a bit big on him but the silhouette is smaller then the armor on Prowse when he had the fixed shoulder bells.

halliwax likes this.
  32. Gregatron

Yeah, I noticed long ago that the stunt helmet was used both in the dark under the Throne Room and also when Luke is being zapped. If Anderson was used for all of those shots (even the close-ups, which didn’t require a tall guy like Prowse to look good), it makes sense that they’d just stick with the stunt helmet which was already properly fitted to him, rather than grabbing a hero.

And I tend to believe that the MPP seen in the duel was just a stunt dressed like the hero (with the colored wires). There are examples of stunts filling in as belt-hangers (the Luke V2 being the prime example, of course), but no confirmed examples of belt-hangers being pressed into service as bladed stunts.

33. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

Got my book delivered today :)
    I know you guys kept saying this book was big... but holy crap this thing is huge!!
    Love the Obi-Wan stunt saber shots! Would've liked to have more hero shots. All in all, however, this is a great book (y)

34. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

On the subject of sabers,
    did you notice the pic of Luke's Hoth stunt double with the Holiday Special saber????

Rich IMG_2235.JPG IMG_2236.JPG IMG_2235.JPG

Kbuckne4 and dcarty like this.
  35. halliwax

clancampbell and Kbuckne4 like this.
  36. Psab keel

Psab keel Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

To my eye the angle you see in that shot of Alec Guinness holding the saber is the nipple of the emitter reflected in the light.

halliwax likes this.
  37. oblagon

oblagon Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's a clearer picture of the spinning attachment
    240620_645096762184305_1502940723_o.jpg
    1147084_495430350548960_75982123_o.jpg

ABE likes this.
  38. kurtyboy

kurtyboy Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The square is visible at both ends of Obi-Wan's, and like dcaty said, very clearly visible in the unaltered pre-special edition.

From watching the scene frame by frame I am pretty sure Vader's did not spin - hence the need for a round blade. It shows none of the flickering or black line anomalies that Obi-Wan's does, and the dents and dings are very apparent. Explains why the unconnected wires can be seen hanging from Vader's in that press still of the duel.

The vintage screen material must be quite different to modern Scotchlite too, because you can see thousands of particles flying off with each clash. Looks like yellow dust.

Yes, I studied the scene obsessively, over and over, frame by frame when I built my motorised stunt saber!

nailuj and halliwax like this.
  39. halliwax

Kurt, you still see obiwans as being a 3 sided blade?

I too always noticed the dust during the ANH duel. And since I was a kid always wondered why there was so much dust lol

40. halliwax

Kurt do you have any better pictures, or a video clip of the square tip?

IMG_7596.jpg

41. kurtyboy

I've never seen a square with three sides! :p

42. halliwax

I can’t even talk... so you believe the blade is square, 4 sided that goes down to a taper? 3 sided painted, 1 side bare (or painted black)?

43. halliwax

I’m literally going insane this morning... I’ve been up early due to a broken water pipe over my bed.. real fun...

Anyway...

So on this mission to find the square blade I hunted down Kurt’s build.

While searching for his build I found some pics Tom posted awhile back

IMG_7598.jpg

I can see what everyone is saying about the tip, but I still wasn’t sold... until

IMG_7597.jpg

This picture here I can finally see the sailboat...

IMG_7600.gif

Now I’m on a mission to find a lightweight square material...

cjchiu and thd9791 like this.
  44. kurtyboy

Well its only what I deduced, and I've been wrong many times, but my blade is 10mm square at the tip, tapering to 15mm square at the base that's visible. Then round into the hilt. And I switched from two sides coated, to four with a thin black line, then to three coated and one black.

The black line still puzzles me though. A wise man I know thinks it's just an uncoated seam where the ends of the reflective material meet.

halliwax likes this.
  45. halliwax

I always thought the black light was just shadow of the blades

But I totally understand it’s purpose of giving the blade it’s flicker

46. halliwax

I’m ready to boot up tinker cad and start modeling a freak’n blade...

47. ALLEY

ALLEY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Funny...as a kid, I noticed that Kenobi’s saber flickered, while Vader’s did not. I had assumed this was intentional to show that Kenobi’s saber was old, worn out, and barely working compared to Vader’s saber.

Now I know why there a difference between the two.

48. halliwax

Never noticed that, I’m watching the de specialized edition tonight!

49. halliwax

Only thing that scares me is the weight of the wood blade. These golf clubs I have are super light and have proven to spin.. yet I don’t have the scotchlite yet, so I can’t prove it flickers correctly

... eeerrr tomorrow my new parts should show up. I just want to get this working again lol

50. russellsch

russellsch Sr Member

I love the Despecialized Editions. I rarely watch, what I call, the Ruined Editions anymore.
    & when I was little I always thought, that because Obi-Wans lightsaber flickers while Vader doesn't, is why Vader says "Your powers are weak old man."