Help restoring my first lightsaber (1977 Laser Sword)

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
IMG_2160.jpeg

(Halloween 1977)

I got this from Toy Chest toy store when I was 8 years old back in 1977. It predates the first release of Kenner's first line of toys. I recently brought it to my house from my parents' house.

Currently I am unsure how functional it is because I do not have 2 D-cell batteries in the house.

tempImage7mAtpP.jpg
tempImageaWvF4p.jpg
tempImageVUyEIP.jpg
tempImagevqeTpv.jpg

Main problems. Missing the end cap which pissses me off because as of a few years ago, it was still attached. Somehow it got lost in my parents' basement. I am thinking about these to replace:
I may consider a 3D print. My printer has some issue I given up trying to solve. I may design something and print at Shipways.

The other end of the blade with a lip that keep the blade from sliding out of the emitter has cracked off. I might add some sort of slip on 3D printed lip sleeve. Once again, may have to turn to shape ways.

Would like to replace the bulb with an LED bulb. Maybe something like this: Amazon.com
I am assuming all the metal contact points at the switch and the spring are still functional.

I would like to replace the blade. I have a theory that it might have been a repurposed golf club separator tube. If they used to make them in white, they don't anymore. They seem to only come in black. Amazon.com

Anyways.. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please let me know.

Last edited:
I found this online; not sure how much help it will be to you, but it does have some info:

One pic I came across, the "Force Beam" by Durham, looks pretty much like yours:

279515012_3222220661437313_3422160257195478081_n.jpg

I found this online; not sure how much help it will be to you, but it does have some info:

One pic I came across, the "Force Beam" by Durham, looks pretty much like yours:

View attachment 1785493

It looks similar but it’s only coloring. The emitter lacks the steps and the metal handle is wrong plus the red cap is wrong.

It’s actually closer to this one. The cap and emitter is right but that’s about it.

Attachments

• IMG_8603.jpeg
    IMG_8603.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 47
What is the printer doing? My printer has been pumping out parts for 5 years, not a single issue until a few months ago..

After days of trouble shooting I gave up.. a month later I decided to tackle it again.. I just replaced the entire hot end, and the damn thing works like brand new again

Curious your issue

As for the saber restoration this is going to be wicked exciting

No luck finding a broken one on eBay to use for parts?

Do you plan on trying to bring back the color in the blade, remove the fade. Polish up the aluminum finish?

What is the printer doing? My printer has been pumping out parts for 5 years, not a single issue until a few months ago..

After days of trouble shooting I gave up.. a month later I decided to tackle it again.. I just replaced the entire hot end, and the damn thing works like brand new again

Curious your issue

As for the saber restoration this is going to be wicked exciting

No luck finding a broken one on eBay to use for parts?

Do you plan on trying to bring back the color in the blade, remove the fade. Polish up the aluminum finish?
When I print, no matter how big or small the project, the top layers sort of stop printing and kind of dwindle out. Like it has trouble feeding. I already replaced this part… Amazon.com

I have been searching eBay for a while now and nothing like mine. There is one or two vintage laser swords but they are going at collectible prices.

I have not thought too much about the rest though of the restoration as the missing and broken parts are the hold up. A little polishing should be easy enough.

Here is this bottom of the hilt. Very worn. I drilled the holes when I was a kid and inserted wire to make a ring to hang from my belt. The hilt is very light and it seems to be all aluminum.
IMG_8605.jpeg

I went ahead and bought this off eBay. It’s the same make and model of the hilt. I saw a used one on eBay and it looked to have some chips in the plating. So I am interested to see what this is made from. It might be sort of an upgrade from the original as it might be a chrome plated carbide metal. The good thing is should be in working order since it is not used.
IMG_2149.jpeg

Still looking for blade repair or replacement options. The blade is 1.25"x 34". I considered this but they don't come frosted/opaque. Amazon.com

I'll probably design a cap as close as I can to the original and see if I can fine a matching material to print.

Last edited:
They are golf tubes. I managed to pick up a few at thrift shops, though it was difficult to convince the employees to sell them separately from the golf bag. I don't know if they're available online.

Edit: a quick Google search says "no".

Also, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but you may be able to find a suitable endcap with different hair products (spray, mousse, etc). That's what I used.

They are golf tubes. I managed to pick up a few at thrift shops, though it was difficult to convince the employees to sell them separately from the golf bag. I don't know if they're available online.

Edit: a quick Google search says "no".

Also, I've mentioned it elsewhere, but you may be able to find a suitable endcap with different hair products (spray, mousse, etc). That's what I used.
I have been looking for a couple years on the tubes. Found a batch on eBay and they were too much for the group plus they looked very dirty.

Most those caps are clear that ai have seen. I am looking for one that has the same opaque properties. I am eyeballing these even though the walls are thicker than the walls of the tube…. Round Plastic End Cap Clear Caps Tube Pipe PVC Blanking Cover Cap Ø 10mm - 32mm | eBay

Funny…I remember wanting one of these flashlight sabers, when I was about 4 - 5, and all I had was the non illuminating (and yellow) “The Force Lightsaber” (even then, I knew it was lame and the wrong color)…

Oh well…it least it wasn’t the “inflatable blade” version…

IMG_3256.jpeg

I found what I think would be the perfect blade replacement…

The problem is that I don’t need that much and they don’t do special orders.

My original blade isn’t that bad so I don’t really want to swap it out unless it was as close as possible to the real thing.

This is SO COOL! I had no idea these were a thing! My dad actually made my sister and I lightsabers from the red plastic Eveready flashlights and golf club tubes! I thought he came up with the idea on his own!

I went ahead a placed an order for this…

The only problem is that it is marked as temporarily out of stock and so is that store’s entire inventory so I am concerned that this order will ultimately get cancelled. But since this is the best price I have found, free shipping and not charged until it ships, I figured I would take a chance. The inner and outer diameter along with the wall thickness is spot on. I would just need to cut to size and fashion a lip.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back