Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983

Are there any new images of Luke's grappling gun or grenade in the Archives book?
Luke's ESB AT-AT Suction Cup Grapple Gun

I wouldn't be surprised if the bottom of the grenade was a kobold, looks to be longer than I imagined.

I have always had a hard time thinking of an item you hold like that grappling gun. The thicker part is obviously a shoulder stock, with the handle up front, with what looks like threading or rings before the business end.

The grenades have a green top and a D RING! check out the bottom right of this image.

Attachments

• Hothgrenade1.jpg
    Hothgrenade1.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 122
I think so! I am away from the book, but in spotting all the saber pics I am pretty sure there is one from the speeder escape sequence.

I came across this picture and there is a cod. Lighting and folds appear very similar.

View attachment 968441
Not sure what to say other than it's quite obvious the cod piece is missing in the photo I posted. The details in yours and the one I posted are completely different (ie you can tell without a doubt whether the cod is gone or not)

Look closer you can see the lines in the leather suit. Look closer at yours you don't see them.

Didn't even know they were making another new book. I just finished the 3 books by Rinzler. Does this new book cover anything not in those other than some new pics?

From the pics I’ve seen posted here, I don’t think I’ve seen a single square stunt blade.

Nope, I’ve never seen one to begin with. Where did the story originate that the blades were triangle/square?

I too remember reading back in the day that the blades with 3 sided and 1 side of the blade wasn’t painted with movie screen material and that helped make the blade flicker more when spinning

Never seen any picture or video to back it up though?

Nope, I’ve never seen one to begin with. Where did the story originate that the blades were triangle/square?

I too remember reading back in the day that the blades with 3 sided and 1 side of the blade wasn’t painted with movie screen material and that helped make the blade flicker more when spinning

Never seen any picture or video to back it up though?

I remember hearing about a three sided blade from this book
418DV80R5XL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Though come to think about it, I don't think I've seen a picture of a three sided blade either. I think the blade just had black strip running down the length, which gives the illusion of the blade flickering.

So far I haven't seen any behind the scenes photos but in ANH when Obi-Wan points his Lightsaber toward the camera you can see the rectangular shape of the tip of the blade. Since the blades in ANH were wooden and, for Obi-Wan's Lightsaber at least, it appears they were made from square stock and run through a Jointer to give the blades a taper resulting in the rectangular shape at the tip then they were covered with reflective material (there's a vintage interview with Mark Hamill where he says it was movie screen material and I think I've read accounts from Gary Kurtz saying the same thing) and, like JoeK3rr mentions, added the black stripe down the side. I read an interview with Gil Taylor years ago where he mentioned the blades being triangular and presented that here on the forum during a debate about the shape of the blades (again, many Centons ago). Taylor's memory of the blade being triangular is contradicted by what we see on screen but Obi-Wan's Lightsaber blade certainly seems faceted and I expect they used the same blades for Luke's.

In one of the supplemental DVD interviews Peter Diamond mentions that they were always breaking blades during that fight scene. It seems we get to the round blades once Empire goes into production and they do away with the rotating blade practical effect. I don't know if they switched to metal at this point to avoid the issues they had on ANH.

So far I haven't seen any behind the scenes photos but in ANH when Obi-Wan points his Lightsaber toward the camera you can see the rectangular shape of the tip of the blade. Since the blades in ANH were wooden and, for Obi-Wan's Lightsaber at least, it appears they were made from square stock and run through a Jointer to give the blades a taper resulting in the rectangular shape at the tip then they were covered with reflective material (there's a vintage interview with Mark Hamill where he says it was movie screen material and I think I've read accounts from Gary Kurtz saying the same thing) and, like JoeK3rr mentions, added the black stripe down the side. I read an interview with Gil Taylor years ago where he mentioned the blades being triangular and presented that here on the forum during a debate about the shape of the blades (again, many Centons ago). Taylor's memory of the blade being triangular is contradicted by what we see on screen but Obi-Wan's Lightsaber blade certainly seems faceted and I expect they used the same blades for Luke's.

In one of the supplemental DVD interviews Peter Diamond mentions that they were always breaking blades during that fight scene. It seems we get to the round blades once Empire goes into production and they do away with the rotating blade practical effect. I don't know if they switched to metal at this point to avoid the issues they had on ANH.

Thanks for all this great info!!

Just received my copy of the book! If you look at the still on page 166 you can see the shape of Kenobi's Lightsaber blade where it is square at the emitter and tapering off towards the end.

Shame the picture on page 90 isn't bigger showing the Macrobinoculars, we might have gotten to see the wedge shaped piece.

Just received my copy of the book! If you look at the still on page 166 you can see the shape of Kenobi's Lightsaber blade where it is square at the emitter and tapering off towards the end.

Checking this out right now....

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back