Star Wars Andor (Disney+ TV series)

From my understanding Disney did not acquire the original/prequel trilogy props, models, set pieces... That was the archives. That is retained for the museum. But I may be wrong. What Disney LFL does have is anything and everything sequel trilogy onwards. Either way just no excuse to have a blatant AK looking prop that close to camera.

Two things are keeping me from getting all too excited…

One, the last two SW D+ shows have been lackluster at best as well as outright deceitful as to who the focus of their show was. Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean this show will follow that trend, but it’s a possibility made more likely by frequency of occurrence.

Two (and this is more pertinent), they are having a three episode premiere. This tells me

a: Disney still doesn’t know how to make a television show in the modern era, and therefore the first episode or two will play like the first act of a movie. Acceptable in a movie, unacceptable when you stretch it out over half a month.

b: Disney has no hope that this show will do enough to pull in viewers, possibly meaning the show is no good.

c: Despite Disney’s insistence otherwise, Disney+ is an experiment that still has yet to pay off. When you have hard numbers that can be verified independently (like a box office), it’s easy to say “this movie succeeded” or “this movie failed”. It’s a lot harder to do that with vague viewer counts that have no way of being verified that also don’t necessarily have a tangible connection to profits.

I hope this show is good. But I haven’t necessarily seen any indication that this is a story someone wanted to tell, the Disney+ shows have gotten cheaper and cheaper looking, the music hasn’t been all that great in all but essentially one of the D+ shows and that same composer did a crap job on a different D+ show, and it’s just tiring to come back to the same stuff over and over again and have the same forum discussions over and over again, with no consensus because the content isn’t that good.
My thoughts exactly, I will most likely not even watch this

The exodus of longtime SW fans from D+ is growing.
Once I decided that was giving up on this Star Wars, I started going back to the EU. And as I dip my toes back into that. I've come to realize how they bait us with nostalgia. I mean I've heard people complain incessantly about how the Sequels were just money grabbing, nostalgia baiting films. And they are to some degree. But nothing to degree the Disney+ shows have been. Particularly those touched by Dave Filoni. I mean The Mandalorian brought us in with cool, mysterious, hard as nails Mandalorian, with sweet armor. When we had two of those already. Before "THE Mandalorian" we had Boba Fett and Jango Fett. They in effect co-opted those two characters. We get the orphan angle and slick silver armor from Jango, and the man with no face, from Boba. Before Rex, we had Alpha-17. And Captian Fordo.

Now to be fair. This didn't start with the Disney+ shows. Dave and George were doing this a long time before. They would the nostalgia of the EU to try and excite fans. 'Look who we included!' 'Oh, look it's that one location!' But all they would do bastardized the original, for their story. Look how they destroyed Barriss Offee's character. And it's continued. So far the first two seasons of The Mandalorian have been stuffed with 'remember this?' moments. And you know Ahsoka will be the same.

And good golly, Ahsoka is everywhere. Dave has infatuation with her. And she sells. I mean I kinda get it. Ahsoka is the only one of his characters that survived his initial pitch. But George wanted her to die. And Dave didn't.

And that's not the only Dave has done that goes against George's "vision" of Star Wars. After the company sold, the Mandalorians made a 180. Suddenly they were looking and sounding a lot more like EU counterparts, contrary to George's vision.

3DImpact Joek3rr
A shot of Cantwell's design.
Never thought I'd see this.

CANTWELL.jpg

CT1138 Sluis Van Shipyards
Yeah...that [almost] straight-up AK is extremely disappointing. Even a straight mag - or no mag - or minor mods - would have made a difference, but they didn't even bother.

tmIVWAYB.jpg

I feel like if they went with one of the Rebel Hoth blaster rifles with the stock cut off, it would have looked better while achieving the same intent. It has a similar profile to the AK-47 to boot. And it's not like production couldn't have bought a couple fan kits, or something. We know they've both fan-made and licensed replicas for other productions.
a295-blaster-rifle-stg44-hoth-rebel-starwars.jpg

In the trailer. Just because something is in the trailer doesn't necessarily mean it's in the actual movie/show.

And that's not the only Dave has done that goes against George's "vision" of Star Wars. After the company sold, the Mandalorians made a 180. Suddenly they were looking and sounding a lot more like EU counterparts, contrary to George's vision.

There were a few preliminary SW TV pilots done back around 2005 with one being a new bounty hunter character who was not a mandalorian but had the armor, there were stormtroopers, a cantina bar type set, never meant to air, just a test to see what was possible with what was available at the time. I'm not referring to the footage that's been online for years. From various other people under that umbrella at the time a possible total of five preliminary pilots were filmed. But I only know of the one as we supplied props for it and I was there. JetBeetle also told me he turned down a gig as a ghost writer on the SW TV series back then as he was to only be a ghost writer, meaning not credited. Four or five stand alone series, 20 or 25 episodes each series.
What we now know as the mandalorian sure reads a lot like that cantina bounty hunter. If so, the roots were there back in 2005 for the mandalorian. Long before Disney SW. But who is to say George wasn't eying a deal to sell back then. Part of the LFL Disney deal was scripts for 7 8 9. That sure opens the possibilities of a SW TV series proof of concept existing back in 2005, if the thought to sell was there...

I'm going to laugh if that AK is only ever seen in the background for a split second.
IMO it kinda doesn't matter. A lot of background/split second stuff in SW is exciting, and taps into our imagination, enough to get a lot of fans (especially here) to look into it, and deconstruct it, and if it's cool enough; the build it - or make builds of it. That's why most of us are here.

This AK is in the foreground, and has none of the creative crafting that a lot of SW props have. There's no coolness or fun to it.
For me, that's where the disappointment lies.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back