Star trek VI - Assault Phaser - full metal build

made some more progress today, its not really much but the result does look good, most of the time was milling out the recess for what i'm calling the power indicator, to get small radius on the corners had to use a small end mill and was slow going amazingly though i got through it without snapping a single one, it probably should be noted that the mini mill has grown up :D

20210919_150918.jpg

got myself a birthday present!

and i cut out and shaped the bit that goes between the two top sections - currently they are superglued together to help me shape it, the plan at the moment at least is that all the connections will be mechanical in the end.

20210920_142926.jpg

20210920_142852.jpg

anyway the power indicator button is next on the list will mill it out then set resin into it shape it up and put 2 different coloured leds under it so can indicate stun or kill - my electronic skills aren't great so i'm not going to attempt to make it show the actual power level of the battery

little bit of progress - perhaps more than is evident - milled out recessed cups for the led's to sit in - milled out channel for the wires - tapped the holes ready for possibly custom bolts maybe not depends what i can find - made the little switch thing - had some issues with the resin - its well past its best before date but its always still worked and it did again just took 4 days to cure :/ and i couldn't resist giving it a quick polishing - polishing aluminium i find very satisfying as it comes up nice and shiny :) - if i paint it will probably need to scuff it up again but i am looking into chemical blacking it instead

20210930_145116.jpg
20210930_145716.jpg

anyway next up is the heat sink and support which should hold all this together

Seeing all the phasers on here got me to look out this project, I had kinda benched it but had some ideas to simplify the build - by the I mean a rubber training pistol that was pretty close to gun the assault phasers was based on and since I wasn't aiming for accurate replica anyway....

The rubber training pistol didn't take paint very well so I used graphite powder - is there a recommended method to seal it so still looks good but doesn't get your hands filthy every time you look at it?

Anyway a few new images to show the direction this is headed in
20231012_155945.jpg20231012_165717.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back