Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Version.

Re: Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Vers

Here is the Swarovski emerald rhinestone with the light off.
View attachment 640338

And here it is with the light on and the silver backing removed so the light will shine through it.

View attachment 640348

The light is reduced compared to that of the plastic rhinestone but it is still visible.

That doesn't look too bad. I've never been one for super bright lights, you could just about read with the MR lights.

I'll keep watching this and see what you come up with for the moire. It looks like you are going to have to tackle a lot of little problems to get this done.

Re: Star Trek TOS Wand Company Communicator Modification Project! Alpha To Beta Vers

That doesn't look too bad. I've never been one for super bright lights, you could just about read with the MR lights.

I'll keep watching this and see what you come up with for the moire. It looks like you are going to have to tackle a lot of little problems to get this done.

Yup it sure looks that way. I will keep at it but for now I'm going to put those problems aside and tackle the mid plate and see if I can get rid of those black screws once and for all.;)

My favorite tool to use.:devil
DSC06977.JPG

Yup it sure looks that way. I will keep at it but for now I'm going to put those problems aside and tackle the mid plate and see if I can get rid of those black screws once and for all.;)

My favorite tool to use.:devil
View attachment 640392

Good luck. You're a braver person than I am.

I would have mine now to toy around with, but it was on a think geek ups shipment via freight train that blew up in Texas on the 28th

I would have mine now to toy around with, but it was on a think geek ups shipment via freight train that blew up in Texas on the 28th

I heard about that train wreck. If your communicator was destroyed, I hope they will give you a replacement without all the red tape and hoops to go through.

The drilling is done on the mid plate.
Now I need to adjust the threads so those new brass screws will fit.:p

DSC06978.JPG

The new screws fit perfectly onto the mid plate now.:)
Need to put the back cover on and see how it looks.
Keep your fingers crossed! ;)

DSC06979.JPG

That looks really nice.

At the very least, I have to change the screws, now. Thanks!

-Rylo

Is there any way to simply unscrew the black original screws, than screw a brass flathead like yours ? I don't want to have to unscrew and drill out mine ( When I get one, or if……), also what is the diameter of the threads on the original. maybe I can just buy some brass flatheads with the same diameter

Thanks

Cole

Is there any way to simply unscrew the black original screws, than screw a brass flathead like yours ? I don't want to have to unscrew and drill out mine ( When I get one, or if……), also what is the diameter of the threads on the original. maybe I can just buy some brass flatheads with the same diameter

Thanks

Cole

Cole you should be able to remove the screws and use a replacement. You will just need to find some brass screws that have the same size thread as black screws. I don't know it's exact size but the black original screws are smaller in diameter when compared to the brass oval head ones I just put on.

I'm using brass oval head 2-56 thread size which is the same size as on the original prop.
DSC07011.JPG

I got them here at the sci-fi-props place.
http://scifiprops.ecrater.com/p/23607642/star-trek-communicator-style-screws

DSC07011.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you sure that is a pin in the center on the back and not a mounting peg to something under the plastic panel?

Are you sure that is a pin in the center on the back and not a mounting peg to something under the plastic panel?

I'm not sure. The photo below shows the locations of most of the parts. It may be glued to the smaller moire body.:unsure
Can't get it off.

Communicator-exploded-triscreen-view.jpg

I think this will work nicely to cover up the markings on the back cover.;)
I need to find some glue that will hold it on permanently though first.:unsure

DSC06981.JPG

I think this will work nicely to cover up the markings on the back cover.;)
I need to find some glue that will hold it on permanently though first.

Will you still be able to charge it with the velcro, if so which brand did you use ?, Keep up the good work, Your doing a fine job :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back