Star trek tos-magnetic probe

gaston

Magnetic Probe.jpgGroup Shot.jpgu49622Survives03z219.jpgo31543Survives02w219.jpg

Wanted to share with everyone here Scotty's Magnetic Probe from the original Star Trek. Produced in 2011, I machined these from solid aluminum, with fin details fabricated from lexan. The prongs were laser-cut and the banding added on a CNC. Polarity caps are removable. Once completed, I put together a video detailing the step-by-step process that went into the job. If you're interested, here are 2 links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhkzSsGJ98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFFC3ySKg94

Enjoy!

Magnetic Probe.jpg

Group Shot.jpg

u49622Survives03z219.jpg

o31543Survives02w219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Star trek tos-magnetic prope

An awful lot of work for such an obscure piece..Nicely done...I'm assuming you can make just about anything...How about some aluminum TOS nozzles for the wand phaser??

- - - Updated - - -

Or aluminum upgrade parts for the Diamond select Tricorders?..I'm sure many would be interested in that kind of project as well.

Re: Star trek tos-magnetic prope

A member contacted me asking if the end caps are removable. Yes, they are. Here's a shot of just the end cap.

Revised End Cap.jpg

UPDATE #2

Hey guys, got your 2nd update here!

The prongs’ order is in the works. I’ve been told by the 3rd-party shop’s foreman he’s fallen behind, but ought to have them ready for pick-up Friday afternoon.

The aluminum bar was ordered and showed up ahead of schedule. A delay in hearing back from collectors put the order of aluminum bar on hold. A total of 8 buyers, who initially said they were “in", somehow found it in within themselves to let me know last week they were no longer interested. Let’s all give them a great big had, shall we?

End caps were machined yesterday evening. Check out the Youtube link for a short video of their job. Special thanks to Dave S. and Annie L. for the tunes… I was told that sometime this afternoon or tomorrow the handles should go into production (spot the prototype next to the caps), followed by the nub. If the shop’s schedule and mine mesh, I can spend some time and get photos of their birth.

Thanks for everyone’s patience and if you’ve got questions, please feel free to contact me.

Cheers,
Gaston

<span style="color:#ff0000;"><span style="font-family:century gothic;"><font size="5">

UPDATE #3

OK everyone, here’s the latest news on your Magnetic Probes…

The shop got the end caps done, complete with a terrific satin finish and chamfer edge. Saturday, I got a phone call from the shop owner to come and proof the handles. They’re beautiful: sleek and rugged down to their architecturally-grooved slots for clear fins. Unfortunately, my schedule did not allow me to drop by the shop and capture video of the process. The nubs are expected to have their notches put in tonight or tomorrow. The notch will hold the prongs in place.

All the prongs came back last week. The shop is in the process of writing the G-code, programming which will allow the CNC to engrave both sets of banding. Since only the quantity of prongs actually paid for were fabricated (again, thanks to those guys who skated), testing to assure correct placement will need to be done on resin castings. These will be turned over to the shop as soon as they’re confident the coding is correct. By the end of this week, perhaps. A white knuckle event, to be sure!

Well, enjoy the images everybody!

Nubs #1.jpg

Prong Set.jpg

Handles #1.jpg

Prong Set-Up #1.jpg

Nubs #1.jpg

Prong Set.jpg

Handles #1.jpg

Prong Set-Up #1.jpg

UPDTE #4

Hey everyone. Here’s what should be the next to the last update. Great news – all the aluminum parts for the Magnetic Probe were picked up from the machine shop Friday afternoon! Put thru the dishwasher to get all the grime and oil off, they look freakin’ fantastic.

I’m making a new pattern for the clear fins today and those should start cutting on Monday. The prongs’ red crystals and surface greebles (crunchies) will get applied tonight.

The MPs should start shipping mid-week, in the order of payments received. I’ll try and grab a nice shot of as many as I can before they start going out.

Again, if you have any questions, please contact me.

Cheers,
Gaston

Back From The Machine Shop #2.jpg

Back From The Machine Shop #2.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back