Star Trek TOS Hero Communicator Located?

yeah, apparently they didn't want the pics out there and broke the links.

Fair enough. They're their pictures.

Please don't repost them, folks.

A lot of details match exactly.
the holes in the antenna and angles of the lines and number of lines in the microphone screen.

only spot the looks a little funny is the extreme top right corner of antenna, the holes there look a little different but maybe the viewing angles being not exact may make it look off.

Anyone see that too?

uh oh, i smell another World con PKD issue. :angel

if you guys saw the pics please forget what they looked like. :lol

jhon :cool

How did the images get out then if the story was not posted?

Thanks for the info, BTW. I was looking all over the site and wondering why I could not find anything regarding the latest discovery.

I am also getting quite tired of this "Screen Used Prop Gods of the Mountain" stuff that has been going around lately.

"Check these pics out of an original prop. Whoops...sorry.....taking them down now..you are not worthy."

Geez.

It does look close but to me the Moire pattern looks "off"... I know that they @#$%. and move so geting exactly the same pattern would be difficult but the general width of the waves etc should be fairly consistent wich this doesn't seem to be... Just an uninformed observation ;)

Jedi Dade

Well - this kind of sounds like one big smoke screen then if they don't want the pics up or story for us to dissect. Seems like a ploy to gets some site attention to me.

I found and posted the pic's before the site released them. Upon request I removed them as they were not mine to post. They are supposed to pop up on the site tommow so they can be seen then.

As far as I can discern, between a couple different sites...

There was an announcement of an upcoming story on a discovery of a communicator on Trek Prop Zone where some of the HeroCom founders are members and as such it was to be a "benefit of membership" to hear about it before the story actually released on Friday. Someone from TPZ went to HC and phished a directory uncovering a set of images that were ready for the story release but had not been posted anywhere. One or two of the pictures were posted at ASAP and here. HC's owners were notified of the premature release of the images and they asked that they be removed until the story is published on their site on Friday.

No cover up, no smoke and mirrors, no "Com Mafia", no one trying to withhold information, just a fan site that wanted to release a story about a possibly unknown Trek prop and someone stole their thunder. :unsure

Simple as that.

--------------------------
Edit:
I was typing this at the same time as Phez was making his post...

Very cool..

The number of matching identifying marks is very convincing but I question the validity of the identification of hot glue being used to adhere the watch. I don't believe that the hot glue gun has been around that long. One of the internal shots you can see thin, white filaments from what does indeed appear to be hot glue... was this a later repair job? Epoxy was the glue of choice for the era as far as I know.

Anyone know for sure how long hot glue guns have been around?

Thanks HeroComm. :thumbsup :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SurferGeek @ Dec 22 2006, 07:34 AM) [snapback]1382878[/snapback]</div>
Very cool..

The number of matching identifying marks is very convincing but I question the validity of the identification of hot glue being used to adhere the watch. I don't believe that the hot glue gun has been around that long. One of the internal shots you can see thin, white filaments from what does indeed appear to be hot glue... was this a later repair job? Epoxy was the glue of choice for the era as far as I know.

Anyone know for sure how long hot glue guns have been around?

Thanks HeroComm. :thumbsup :thumbsup
[/b]

I remember using one in 1971. Yes, I'm that old. But it was a brand new thing. Of course that was when they became available commercially. They could have been used as an industrial tool earlier. But since there has been no hot glue found on any of the other original prop this must be a owner repair.

the history as posted on the site does say the comm had been damaged and repaired at one point, resulting in the upper moire being rotated and the lower moire connection to the stopwatch being broken. Feasible that the watch had broken loose as well, requiring regluing.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back