Star Trek TOS Hero Communicator Located?

probably a dumb question, but does resin last 40+ years?

i know plastics tend to, but they generally become pretty brittle. im not sure how close resin is to plastic though.

i cant imagine styrene lasting that long unless you REALLY took care to put it in a non UV light and off in a vacuum packed storage container somewhere.

chris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hydin @ Dec 20 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1381705[/snapback]</div>
probably a dumb question, but does resin last 40+ years?

i know plastics tend to, but they generally become pretty brittle. im not sure how close resin is to plastic though.

i cant imagine styrene lasting that long unless you REALLY took care to put it in a non UV light and off in a vacuum packed storage container somewhere.

chris
[/b]

I don't know the answer to your question, but these weren't made of resin or styrene, they were made of kydex.

*edited for spelling*

Kydex will last 40+ years, sure. The thing may be a bit more brittle than it was when Chang made it - but who's going to be knocking that Comm around, real or not?

It's so ugly on the inside, it just might be real. (hehe)

Do we know who owns it? Provenance is everything.

That is a fake..............come on someone HAD to say it.

Honestly, that is very cool and interesting. I'd like to hear some of the experts on the subject. I am most curious about the pin on the cross bar next to the left lid hinge (is that the stop?). And also curious about the back of the stopwatch. It doesn't look like the factory one, but someone went through enough trouble to bend the rim around it. I assume the original stopwatch may have been too fat?

Jhusel

Correct on both counts J...well if you ask me you are.

That little bar matches variations we've seen on the better replicas made out there so it's safe to assume it performs the same function of stopping the lid from opening too far.

The back of the stop watch you see there appears to be the inner lid of the stop watch and not the outer back. I have a few antique pocket watches and there's a thinner protective plate between the back plate and the mechanisms. That same design would match up here. I can see the mounting grooves exposed where the back plate would have attached to protect the pocket watch. By removing it Wah got the room he needed to keep the comm thin as a pack of cigarettes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(137th Gebirg @ Dec 20 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1381740[/snapback]</div>
What is kydex? Is that like a derivative of bakalite?
[/b]

It's what they make those black plastic knife sheats with.

FB

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Dec 20 2006, 02:02 PM) [snapback]1381703[/snapback]</div>
Here's one that was reposted "elsewhere". As far as I know it's okay to post; if someone knows otherwise please let me know.

All we have is "word on the street" that herocomm.com will be posting pics and info soon. That's all I know.
[/b]

Not trying to bring up "elsewhere" again to get you in a bad mood, Treadwell....but can you direct me to the link at "elsewhere" where you said there was a ton of talk about this new comm? All I found was one thread with 8 posts.

PM the link if you want...I just want to read about all the talk about this new comm over there.

(pm sent)

more:
Alpha-Open1.jpg

Alpha-Inside2.jpg

I do not think they want those photos posted. I thought that since the photos were openly avalible on herocomm that they could be posted. I guess not. :unsure

I am going to wait for the "report" and then state my observations.

There are really only a couple people who could tell if this was a fake. Has anyone showed this to GJ?

I will see him tomorrow and I will ask if he can take a look. I think it is very hard to authenticate a piece like this through photos. The tells are often so subtle that it is pointless to argue about until viewed in person.

-Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ Dec 20 2006, 02:39 PM) [snapback]1381688[/snapback]</div>
All I was saying that there is debate about the communicator. You all are debating about the debate. Six posts worth.

KNOCK IT OFF.

Start talking about the damn communicator. You have opinions about that?
[/b]

A fine example of diplomacy.

Merry Christmas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phez @ Dec 20 2006, 11:19 PM) [snapback]1381995[/snapback]</div>
I do not think they want those photos posted. I got banned at TPZ for putting them up on ASAP. I thought that since the photos were openly avalible on herocomm that they could be posted. I guess not. :unsure

I am going to wait for the "report" and then state my observations.
[/b]

Dude, when did that happen?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WinstonWolf359 @ Dec 20 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]1381930[/snapback]</div>
Well, this new communicator certainly does seem to resemble the original one Wah Chang photographed.

[attachmentid=11689]

[attachmentid=11688]
[/b]

Nice pics. It does 'look' like it.

Earlyer today Rylo.
I had a busy week and your post reminded me I have to shoot you a Paypal for the miniE
I will send it in the morning.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phez @ Dec 21 2006, 01:44 AM) [snapback]1382068[/snapback]</div>
Earlyer today Rylo.
I had a busy week and your post reminded me I have to shoot you a Paypal for the miniE
I will send it in the morning.
[/b]

You got banned for posting the same photo Matt just did?.

WOW :confused

No one of the inside of it that tredwell had posted above also. I was digging aroung the herocomm site and found the pic's of it. I jumped the gun and linked to them to chat about on ASAP and pissed someone off apparently :confused

Sorry to hear that.

I'd love to see the inside. Can that be posted here? The links up top are dead.

Interesting.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back