Star Trek TOS Hero Communicator Located?

OK the Comm Grail has been found. :thumbsup

what does it show us that was unknown.

not bends or solder spots or misaligned buttons and jewels from fast gluing pieces that fall off or the top midplate that was there and fell out over the episodes but details of the outer construction we have always wondered about..

MR Comms are probley the most common know and accurate one now .

what details do we see that is incorrect on the MR. {who did their best at the time i am sure}

1 the 4 rings on the moire lower area.

2 not as thick or wedge shape {or is this not the one in the screen caps that MR made theirs by}

3 to be accurate i assume there should be a slot between the hinges where the midplate piece fell out.

john :cool

Great pics, and appears to be the real deal. Cool. WOW, the MR was off with the 'fat butt' version. Still, in pretty decent shape. No telling if repairs were done over the years, and what with those tan marks on the velcro? Good to see the old girl again after 40 years.

Reaper,

In creating a prop replica, one would think that it would be based on how the prop looked during actual use in the series. So, creating a replica that has the top midplate missing seems a bit odd, as you would then be creating as replica based on how the prop looks TODAY and not how it appeared originally. What if the communicator had been stepped on and cracked -- would you desire to have your replica smashed like this?

I say this with tongue in cheek -- but as you/we analyze the supposed new HERO piece and judge these observations against existing replicas (or even new ones to be created), it would seem to me that we would all want a replica that looked like the piece used in the series, and not with any flaws that befell it between the time the series ended and the actual prop was discovered.

Ted

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DrMcoy @ Dec 23 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]1383468[/snapback]</div>
Reaper,

In creating a prop replica, one would think that it would be based on how the prop looked during actual use in the series. So, creating a replica that has the top midplate missing seems a bit odd, as you would then be creating as replica based on how the prop looks TODAY and not how it appeared originally. What if the communicator had been stepped on and cracked -- would you desire to have your replica smashed like this?

I say this with tongue in cheek -- but as you/we analyze the supposed new HERO piece and judge these observations against existing replicas (or even new ones to be created), it would seem to me that we would all want a replica that looked like the piece used in the series, and not with any flaws that befell it between the time the series ended and the actual prop was discovered.

Ted
[/b]

i agree completely , :)

my point is that it seems like the newer replicas today seem to have been very close to the original. { JTK , MR etc} :thumbsup

i guess to al the close attention the makers made to the pics that have been avaliable.

no great new facts as in the Obi booster , obi grenade and such.

thank fully its now know about the top midplate seen and not seen , the only real Comm mystery.

just show that all us old TOS Trekkers are one the spot. :lol

now we gotta find out the stopwatch maker.... :angel

john :cool

As for glue guns, my Grandfather passed away in '74 and in his workshop there was a very old, large, clunky glue gun that I always thought looked like a cool ray gun.

As previously pointed out, they were likely available to industrial use prior to their availabiliity at retail store.

I opened up this thread on ASAP to talk about the new comm find, I thought I would post it here also.

Note this post is for debating the comm only and not to disparage the work done by hero comm in any way. In fact, I am hoping that on reading this H.C can offer a few answers to these questions.

We are assuming that the group who made the so-called M.E fakes have not learned everything that has been posted on these boards over the years. I like most other builders here have added the details learned from over the years to my builds and we have to assume the forgers have also. With the type of work that was being done on the fakes of the day I would have to think that at this point in time we would be dealing with something that would look this good so we should chat about the details.

Good eye on noticing the moire ring front mount Replicator1701. But if we look at the known real comms on hero comm all of them are mounted from behind. However if we look at the ME in this photo and the BM from the RACProps site (Herocomm has stated they belive that hero is not an origenal one) we see both are front mounted like the Alpha comm. From the screen caps it may or may not be front mounted, no matter how many caps I take and blow up it looks like it could be front or rear mounted I honestly can only guess and am just going off of how all of the other know origenals were made.

MEcomm-1.jpg

Now I am not claiming this is real or fake and honestly think it depends like most props on the history and province of the piece. I have no horse in this race and this being real or fake does not benifit me in any way (Other than answering a lot of questions we have all had for a long time). For all I know John Dwyer himself could own this providing perfect Provence but with out knowing that we should examine not just what matches but what seems strange. I like a lot of you who build models of these know that if you can see a minute detail in a photo you can add it to a model.

What would it take to mod a more recent mark english comm to match up with recent information (as in the made at the same time or after the Makepeace comm was made). That one had all of the little shell tells and almost looked right on although the finish was not on the shells.

NOTE: I am not posting links of pic's to anyoneÂ’s site after my recent blunder but everyone knows where the pic's of these pieces are.

The knob plate was fairly close on Brains but you can see the evidence of the same yellowish white glue sticking out the left side of the knob plate on the B.M that is seen from the inside shot through the holes holding on the knob plate on the new hero.

Moiré ring may have needed to be replaced or not, ME did make them like that. It has been reglued.

The speaker grill would need to be replaced. Again you can see the old yellow glue under the newer looking J&B weld around it. I suppose it could have been knocked out during whatever disaster knocked the moiré ring off but I would think the knobs would have been displaced also if that happened. If they did it is unlikely they would have been reglued crooked exactly like in the photo, but maybe.

However, the lid solder and wire matched up exactly with photos.

But
"The back of both top and bottom shells between the hinge wheels exhibit what we would call an odd upward distortion, as if warped a bit from a nearby heat source."

Hmmm, possibly a pen torch heating up the lid wheels while the wire and solder joints or the lid were being modified to match a pic? Or it could have simply been a repair back when it was still being used.

Aging the hose would be trivial with some auto motive tar remover.
The stopwatch must still be available as they have one in the graphic that is used for the PARTS AND PLANS section of the H.C site.

The thing that seems to be a ringer for me is the matching rectangle in both the GJ comm and this one on the inside of the back shell. If it is not real that detail really makes it convincing. Someone would have had to have had a good look at the GJ comm or very good reference to match that.

EDIT: I just noticed looking at the photos of zeta and alpha that the interior of the bottom shell is painted a brown color on Alpha (you can see the paint line between the top and bottom screw holes to the right in the photo). Could have been used to cover up whatever was used (I see a few fisheyes that looks a little like spot putty) to add that detail. Any other ideas why that paint would be there?

Do not get me wrong this is one of the coolest comms I have ever seen photos of and H.C has done an incredible job of documenting it. However, to me there are still a few wild cards too it. Some of the best have been fooled by these and there are a few tells on this one. I am hoping that as the work goes on they will post some more information on province and some kind of vague history of the piece.

Are we sure that the inside of the back shell is "painted brown"? It could be just the way the photo looks; color contamination from yellow-tinged lights... I note that in the other shots of the comm, there seems to be yellowish light coming from above and reflecting off of the shells (ie "Alpha-Underside1.jpg")

- k

Agreed it does look the same color as the light hitting the back shot, the paint could be black with the light hitting it but why the jagged paint line going all the way up the right side? Notice the screw divit on the right is not effected.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(phase pistol @ Dec 25 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]1384471[/snapback]</div>
Are we sure that the inside of the back shell is "painted brown"? It could be just the way the photo looks; color contamination from yellow-tinged lights... I note that in the other shots of the comm, there seems to be yellowish light coming from above and reflecting off of the shells (ie "Alpha-Underside1.jpg")

- k
[/b]

Well granted there does seem to be a difference in the specular quality of the material... the center (of the inside of the back shell) is shiny, but the sides seem matte. Why I have no idea. It does seem like it's coated with something tho.

- k

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back