Star Trek TMP/TWOK Phaser Replicas?

Grimusaur

The only resin kit I can seem to find isn't very accurate, haven't had any luck finding the Roddenberry.com kit anywhere, and the AA/DST replica is prohibitively expensive on the aftermarket. What's the best way to go about making a TMP Phaser these days?

So this looks like a fairly simple design. I would 3D model it, print it, and potentially resin cast. Maybe throw in some lights.

Attachments

• 18F39A02-9BDA-469A-A719-A6EC62CEA87E.jpeg
    18F39A02-9BDA-469A-A719-A6EC62CEA87E.jpeg
    15.7 KB · Views: 255
The only resin kit I can seem to find isn't very accurate, haven't had any luck finding the Roddenberry.com kit anywhere, and the AA/DST replica is prohibitively expensive on the aftermarket. What's the best way to go about making a TMP Phaser these days?

One if my favorite phaser designs. Sadly, like a lot of classic Trek movie props, finding quality replicas of this piece are as rare as hen’s teeth now.

personally prefer the one from the search for spock but yeah looks like a pretty easy 3d print- i wouldn't bother with casting it (maybe some of the buttons) - just a lot more work and with that design should be able to get a pretty much perfect end result without going that far

personally prefer the one from the search for spock but yeah looks like a pretty easy 3d print- i wouldn't bother with casting it (maybe some of the buttons) - just a lot more work and with that design should be able to get a pretty much perfect end result without going that far

Yeah, I think I'll go the 3D printing route with this. Might take a little while but I'll be sure to post an update to this thread once I get started. Thank you all for the advice!

I'd want to put in electronics for lights and sound too, where would be the best place to look for that kind of thing/possibly commissioning something custom?

(The SFS phaser is pretty great too, can't fault ya there)

I like to use little 555 timer circuits for flashing lights. If its just plain old LEDs, though its simple. Just LEDs, resistors and a coin battery with a hidden switch. I’m hoping to move toward commissions, but i need to experiment with ‘transparent’ PLA. I will do that some time soon when i build the Discovery Tricorder i recently finished modeling. Here’s a link to my recent build. That has lots of lighting...

I got the Playmates one back when it came out. Their props were very hit and miss, but the three I feel they did the best with were the TNG tricorder, TNG season 3 phaser, and this beastie. It's scaled right, the proportions are right, and being hollow plastic that you can unscrew, it's wonderfully easy to work with. I honestly think I prefer it to the roddenberry.com replica, and am on the fence for the AA one. This is already hollow and set up for batteries, and I can accurize and superdetail it without cringing over cutting into something I paid a lot of money for. Which, being said, I have no idea how often they come up on the secondary market, or for how much, these days...

I got the Playmates one back when it came out. Their props were very hit and miss, but the three I feel they did the best with were the TNG tricorder, TNG season 3 phaser, and this beastie. It's scaled right, the proportions are right, and being hollow plastic that you can unscrew, it's wonderfully easy to work with. I honestly think I prefer it to the roddenberry.com replica, and am on the fence for the AA one. This is already hollow and set up for batteries, and I can accurize and superdetail it without cringing over cutting into something I paid a lot of money for. Which, being said, I have no idea how often they come up on the secondary market, or for how much, these days...

I agree. I have the same ones, and the TMP phaser is my favourite of the group.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back