Interest Star Trek The Next Generation - 'Hotel Royale' Novel

That is NOT the right cover for "the royale" …. so does it have a correct story in it, instead?

Not the right cover, that's true. But at least we have a text for the back now, so I can complete the cover. ;)

By the way: What's a natharius lathrio?

lf.jpg

Last edited:
I'd guess that phrase is meant to read "notorious Lothario" -- it's certainly not the only flub on those covers :)

edit: Dialog from the episode indicates that the phrase is actually "nefarious Lothario"

Last edited:
;)

By the way: What's a natharius lathrio?
I'd guess that phrase is meant to read "notorious Lothario" -- it's certainly not the only flub on those covers :)

Noun[edit]

Lothario (plural Lotharios)

1. A man whose chief interest is seducing, usually women. quotations ▼Synonyms: ladykiller, Casanova, Romeo; see also Thesaurus:ppromiscuous man, Thesaurus:libertine Coordinate term: Romeo

Yes, Please use "notorious Lothario" in the back cover text. :D

Yes, Please use "notorious Lothario" in the back cover text. :D

The auction description says "All three books were used as set dressing in Captain Picard's quarters."

Maybe the prop department copied the text from the original book that was used in the "Royale" episode and the original one has the same mistake? In this case we shouldn't correct the mistake. What do you think, Daniel, "natharius lathrio" or "notorious lothario"?

I’m not sure there’s any connection between those three faux books and the prop from The Royale - the one in question even spells the author’s name differently, with only one T.

Do we know if they were actually used on the show? Or were they set decoration in the movies? The auction description as written cannot be correct.

Last edited:
The auction description says "All three books were used as set dressing in Captain Picard's quarters."

Maybe the prop department copied the text from the original book that was used in the "Royale" episode and the original one has the same mistake? In this case we shouldn't correct the mistake. What do you think, Daniel, "natharius lathrio" or "notorious lothario"?

He should use "notorious Lothario" <<<< make sure and capitalize Lothario, it's the name of a Character from a famous play. The point of this book Replica, is that it should seem like a real book, in every way. No REAL book would have so many misspellings in it. They would get edited and corrected before print.

----edit from other post------

nefarious Lothario

Last edited:
DEFINITELY, use "notorious Lothario" <<<< make sure and capitalize Lothario, it's the name of a Character from a famous play. The point of this book Replica, is that it should seem like a real book, in every way. No REAL book would have so many misspellings in it. They would get edited and corrected before print.

Is it actually a book replica Daniel wants to make? I thought it's a prop replica. If it's a prop replica, we should replicate the mistakes, too.

Daniel has the final say. It's his prop. ;)

Last edited:
Right, if you were replicating those later books, I'd say keep the mistakes. But since the back cover of the TV prop itself is barely visible in the episode, and only enough to guess that there might be a back cover synopsis, anything you add to your replica is only a guess. A good amount of the blurb from the back of the later book is taken directly from Data's dialog:

"Captain, this is the story of a group of compulsive gamblers caught up in a web of crime, corruption and deceit. It is told by nefarious Lothario Mickey D, who appears only at the climax to carry out the cold-blooded murder of the hotel bellboy. There is also a subplot about an older man conspiring with a younger woman to murder her husband. She is squandering her inheritance."

In which case nefarious, rather than notorious should be used.

Again, I doubt the later book and its choice of verbiage has any relation to the prop from the episode given the misspelling of Matthews... Using a similar synopsis would be a cool easter egg, but I don't think you should be beholden to the later one when replicating the earlier one.

Right, if you were replicating those later books, I'd say keep the mistakes. But since the back cover of the TV prop itself is barely visible in the episode, and only enough to guess that there might be a back cover synopsis, anything you add to your replica is only a guess. A good amount of the blurb from the back of the later book is taken directly from Data's dialog:

"Captain, this is the story of a group of compulsive gamblers caught up in a web of crime, corruption and deceit. It is told by nefarious Lothario Mickey D, who appears only at the climax to carry out the cold-blooded murder of the hotel bellboy. There is also a subplot about an older man conspiring with a younger woman to murder her husband. She is squandering her inheritance."

In which case nefarious, rather than notorious should be used.

Again, I doubt the later book and its choice of verbiage has any relation to the prop from the episode given the misspelling of Matthews... Using a similar synopsis would be a cool easter egg, but I don't think you should be beholden to the later one when replicating the earlier one.

I thought Data had said something to that effect, but didn't have the episode to check.
I agree with nefarious, then, since that's the word Data used. As I recall, Data flipped quickly through the book and literally read it in seconds. If Data said nefarious, then he would probably have READ nefarious. He's very literal.

nefarious Lothario is my vote.

I have seen these, but I think they were made later for one of the movies as set dressing. The book from the episode doesn't look the same.

We know. But we're talking about the text on the back. ;) What's your opinion?

Last edited:
Yeah, I know it's not the same book. I just thought people might be interested if they also wanted to create replicas of these books too, since the images were so high-res.

We know. But we're talking about the text on the back. ;) What's your opinion?

I don't think it would work for a replica of the original version, because much of it is copied almost exactly from Data's dialogue after he read the book. It seemed that he was giving his own summary of the plot, not repeating the back cover text. I wouldn't mind it personally, but I feel that others might have an issue with it because of that. Your version works for me as long as it's fine with everyone else.

Edit: I missed a couple of the replies above that say the same thing. 'Nefarious Lothario' is also my preference since it's what they intended.

Last edited:
Well, since both versions of the book were used, they would both be screen accurate. Maybe the second Hotel Royale was a second printing or updated version. You know, in verse?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back